motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Chit Chat

In Car Camera Set-Ups

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:41 pm 
I post, therefore I am

We recently got a Panasonic SDR-S10 camcorder. It is a very small light weight DV unit that saves on SD cards. We have an 8gb Class 6 card in it right now. Takes a couple hours of video on that (essentially DVD quality). It is basically 1.25" x 4" x 2" and weighs just ounces. Travels well and is even water resistant and 4' drop "proof"... We got it on sale for $180.

'98 A4tq
'90 CQ
'90 CQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:21 pm 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/show ... php?t=7504 has a good explanation and some embedded video/links to the results.

The videos look a lot nicer before the video capture card has its way with them. No artifacts/green flashes at all.

The recording device is a $25 craigslisted VCR, in its original box and packaging, strapped to the passenger seat with a couple cargo ties. Access holes are cut in the front for tape loading/VCR controlling, and in the back for cable access. Both are powered by a $30 Autozone inverter that I needed for ECU tuning anyway. (The $60 craigslisted laptop has a bad battery, but runs fine on 120vac)

I am nothing if not frugal :)

Next time, I would go for a better quality camera. I've seen some that will do in-scene lighting adjustment, so you can have a visible dash AND useful outside view, instead of dark dash or whited out windshield.

The key thing, though, is to get a camera that is just a lens with some wires hanging out, so the weight is minimal. This way it will not shake. Then, it's essential to use a wide angle lens to provide the sensation of speed. I used a 90deg and next time I'd do a 150deg.

Mounting the camera as close to the roof as possible is also important - we want to see the hoodline and the road in front of the car, not the horizon! The horizon is slow moving and boring to look at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:06 am 
Stuck in first

what is goin on yall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:28 pm 

This thread needs updating

I bought a race optics set up and its OK, it does what it says. I can’t run off car power or I get noise in the image. and the thing I didn’t like is the same for all digital recorders (until recently) they all run at 30 frames per second. I know some people don’t have a problem but it always looks choppy to me especially when viewing fast corners.

The Gopro Hero HD now had an option for 60 frames per second (same as TV) at 720p not only should this improve or eliminate the choppiness but is at a higher resolution than the current bullet camera systems.

brickhouse has a cool system that incorporates GPS and it can overlay your data on google maps. But it’s still 30fps.

Stuff is getting cheaper and better, go get some videos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:53 pm 
I post, therefore I am

25fps is the euro standard up until recently. 30fps has been the US standard until HD came along. Just an FYI. I just took some in-car on my way to work using our 4mp Minolta point-n-shoot. The mic sucks to the audio cuts in/out. I'll have to try the SDR or Fuji S700 mid-body, both of which take much better video and have better (stereo) mics.

'98 A4tq
'90 CQ
'90 CQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:52 pm 
I post, therefore I am

The GoPro Hero HD is definitely the way to go. The price is great, especially considering how small it is, and all of the mounting options available.

'12 TT-RS (Wife's DD)
'00 A4 1.8TQ
'62 356B (vintage racer)

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:34 pm 
Redline?

A friend of mine recently ordered the GoPro Hero HD. I'll let you guys know how it is when he get's it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:49 pm 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Go to the store, and ask to put a tape in the shelf display so you can record and playback to see how well it works. When recording, shake it around, toss it in the air, smack it on the counter a few times, drop it on the ground and kick it around for a while.

If it is still capable of playing back, and the playback is still clear, you've got a winner!

My method anyway...

'00 Jeep Cherokee
'86 Honda Magna 2 wheeled kergigger

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47757586@N00/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:55 pm 
I post, therefore I am

One of the reasons why we got the SDR...4' drop test (MIL-STD test) passed, water resistant, etc.

'98 A4tq
'90 CQ
'90 CQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:09 pm 

cuatrokoop wrote:
25fps is the euro standard up until recently. 30fps has been the US standard until HD came along. Just an FYI. I just took some in-car on my way to work using our 4mp Minolta point-n-shoot. The mic sucks to the audio cuts in/out. I'll have to try the SDR or Fuji S700 mid-body, both of which take much better video and have better (stereo) mics.

Well the video my brother took with his hi-8 camera is smooth and easy to watch, all the digital stuff ive recorded seems very choppy when viewing fast action.
A Friend bought one of those flip video cameras and its pretty good but can get a litttle choppy with fast action but not nearly as bad as with the race optics setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:38 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Hi8 and D8 camcorders work(ed) very well, I still have my D8, honestly (9 years old in a couple weeks)! If the battery wouldn't have crapped out and they became expensive and harder to get I wouldn't have gotten the Panasonic (okay, maybe I would have, since the Pana is so small and easy to take with you, plus it's virtually kid-proof).

'98 A4tq
'90 CQ
'90 CQ

Post subject: Re: In Car Camera Set-Ups
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:01 pm 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Definitely not a pro set up, but I use a Sony handicam jam fit it in to the 4KQ headrest, I use a piece of foam to make it fit tighter. I also strap the seat tight so it does not bounce/vibrate. Simple set up and works OK, you can adjust the angle with the headrest. I tried this as a temporary thing, then kept using it like this since it worked OK.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:47 pm 

ANCIENT THREAD but I need to comment:

Rocco16V wrote:
Well the video my brother took with his hi-8 camera is smooth and easy to watch, all the digital stuff ive recorded seems very choppy when viewing fast action.

Don't record in HD. Because of the way HD does its compression, fast action type stuff where you still have stationary things in-shot will always end up choppy.

Post subject: Re: In Car Camera Set-Ups
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
Redline?

In the Camaro on the team I occasionally race for (more of hobby racing and "inexpensive" racing nothing super competitive) we 3d printed a GoPro mount that was much slimmer then keeping the GoPro in its case, then just used the stock hardware to go to the rollcage. I was trying with live streaming it back to the pit from the video out line, but a crappy transmitter/reciever unit was the fault. The recorded footage worked out great though. Assuming the car of choice doesnt have a rollcage, with a little tinkering you could rig up a mount almost anywhere.

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Chit Chat

Jump to:  

Information