Automobiles Forum banner

Loud buzzing from fuel pump?

23K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JimWebb53 
#1 ·
So today I am driving home and notice a loud humming sound through my driver window. I get home and open my door with the engine running and I hear this loud buzz/humming coming from behind me between the rear drivers door and the tire well. I know that I can normally hear my fuel pump running while driving and it almost sounds like alternator whine from the rear speakers but this was very different.

Also I noticed while driving home my car wouldalmost die when coming to a stop at a light, I'd have to actually blip the throttle to keep it alive once or twice when coming to the stop.

So I'm pretty sure my fuel pump is about to die on me. What say you all?

#3 ·
I've had that happen to me if it's either a really hot day (vapor lock) or if I'm about to run out of gas (both only a couple of times)... So it could be the line is clogged somewhere and the pump is having to work harder. I've never had a fuel pump go out, so I can't speak to that.

But maybe pull the filter and see if you can blow anything out of it. If so it might be worth looking further into possibly some junk in the tank. Better to rule that out before replacing the pump and potentially ruining a brand new one.

-Rog

#4 ·
Just put some fuel in her so I know she has some. Should be more then 7 gallons left.

I'll look at the filter. I already started to look at where to buy a new one just in case (had a gut feeling on that one).

#6 ·
These pumps are typically kind of loud, but loud to the extent your talking about sounds like a problem. When mine got loud like that I replaced the pump and filter. THe problem is likely with one, or the other. THey get loud when the filter is stopping up the flow and it has to work harder, and they get louder as they start to wear and fail.

#7 ·
DrSquirley said:
These pumps are typically kind of loud, but loud to the extent your talking about sounds like a problem. When mine got loud like that I replaced the pump and filter. THe problem is likely with one, or the other. THey get loud when the filter is stopping up the flow and it has to work harder, and they get louder as they start to wear and fail.
That's what I was thinken too. Just making sure my logic is sound.

#8 ·
So my fuel pump was makin oud noises as well and I figured it was about to go bad. I went ahead and bought a new one and while I was at it I changed out th fuel filter. The new fuel pump is every bit as loud so I'm guessing there is some restriction in the fuel lines. The car has been sitting for a couple of years. So what is the best way to clean out the fuel lines?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.