motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: General

Advice for a 1990 90 quattro 20v

Post subject: Advice for a 1990 90 quattro 20v
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:59 am 
Stuck in first

Hi Guys,

Ive just bought a 1990 Audi 90 quattro 20v which seems to be in decent condition as its only done 107,000 miles.

Im looking to make the car a bit faster but dont want to go nuts and spend a fortune on it. Any ideas on what kind of upgrades i should be looking at and what i should do first?

So far on my list i have a de-cat exhaust, custom air intake and possibly the new fuel injectors for sale on 034 motorsport.

what else can i do to make the car a bit faster or do i need to buy one of the turbo kits?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:23 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Pull the flywheel and have it lightened. That monster weighs in around 27lbs and can be cut down to 17-18lbs by a competent machine shop.

A custom header back exhaust would help too. Not too big for a 7A... single 2.5" system.

90' 200q Avant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:39 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

also look at porting out the throttle body, a alot of fat can be lost there to gain alot more air flow. that and if u get to it a port and polish and larger maf. but ya all of those can be done for relatively cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:20 pm 

Hey Keith, isn't it supposed to be something like 1 lb lost on the rotating engine assembly is about equal to 7 or 8 hp or something?

Eric

Dyed in the wool, washed in the blood : μολὼν λαβέ starting a collection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:27 pm 
I post, therefore I am

natrix posted something a while back that equated going from a 20lb+ stock FW to a LWFW was like losing 270lb+ off the car when accelerating in first gear.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:29 pm 
Stuck in first

Thanks for all the great info guys! :-D

I might try lightening the flywheel as suggested and im also in interested in getting the throttle body ported as suggested by Mogli.

Are there any aftermarket lightweight flywheels that i can swap this one out with or any that i can take from a different car that will fit?

What car can i take the MAF off that will be a direct fit for this car? Or will i need to get one and do some re-wiring?

Are there any downsides to lightening the flywheel? Will it affect the gearbox or clutch or any other things in a bad way?

Kas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:21 pm 

Shaving the flywheel is common on the 7A from what I've read here. I think you can get an aluminum one from 034. About the MAF, I don't have a clue.

The fuel injectors from 034 rock. I put em in and got an increase in milage. The butt dyno says it helps a little.

Oh, and a bag-o-snakes header couldn't hurt either. Don't waste your money on any chip for this motor. bang for $ just aint worth it.

HTH

Gotta luv those expensive rare German cars, since no one else will!!!
Adrenaline anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:28 pm 

He should already have the tubular header (bag-o-snakes to the new guy), since he's already got a '90 MY car...or am I off base here?

Eric

Dyed in the wool, washed in the blood : μολὼν λαβέ starting a collection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:32 pm 

They stopped building cars with the tubular header approx march 1990. As far as I know, the late build cars have better mapping in the new ECU, hence no change in power? Pity the ECU does not swap without swapping the wiring loom with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:33 am 
Stuck in first

Yeah its already got that tubular manifold as i checked before i bought it. I was looking at those injectors on sale but what are the overall benefits as the graphs on the site seem to be for a mustang?

Do they give more power in te lower rev range or is it more powe across the whole rev range? Or is it just better gas mileage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:53 am 

"Mustang Dynamometer" is the company that manufactures the dyno, its not the car "on" the dyno, those graphs relate to your car.

You can see on the graph that they increase power over the entire rev range. I don't have them on my car, I would have gotten them had I not had to move and temporarily get rid of my car. Everyone i've heard of has said nothing but good things about this upgrade.

Do it.... 8) ... do it..... (starsky voice)

1990 Audi 90q 20vT - retired
1990 Audi Coupe Quattro - sold
Ottawa, Ontario

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:37 am 

From my understanding, the ECU in your car will compensate for the extra fuel added by those injectors under normal circumstances, but when you go to WOT, the o2 sensor is ignored, and it allows better a/f ratios for more power (this is when the hitachi's are unable to flow enough to keep the engine happy).

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:25 am 
Stuck in first

I see, now it makes sense as i was wondering why they would have the results for a Mustang when advertising Audi injectors.

I think its time to put some extra hours in at work to save up for a set of these injectors. Will get the flywheel lightened aswell once i can figure out how to get it out and find someone in the UK that can shave these and knows what theyre doing as unfortunately over here its really hard to find anyone that knows what theyre doing when it comes to this kind of stuff as i'd love to get the throttle body ported aswell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:38 am 
Stuck in first

the maf is a v6 one that fits so ive heard,the throttle body can be opened out i have pics somewhere i will post em if i can find em.port n polish the head that makes it more bhp too.dont know about usa laws but here in uk ive took off the cat and just got a full stainless with one back box and it is quick but i need it faster,tubular manifold increases the low end power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:08 am 
Stuck in first

Im also in the UK (Edinburgh)! Do you know anywhere here that ports and polish's the head and ports the throttle body? Also im gonna get a custom de-cat exhaust sinc its a pre-92 car and its already got the tubular manifold so this should make it a bit faster!

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: General

Jump to:  

Information