motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: General

Picked up a B7 S4, now whaddoo I do?!

Post subject: Picked up a B7 S4, now whaddoo I do?!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:19 am 
I post, therefore I am

Been reading up on it. It's got some of the common issues but its also had a lot of stuff replaced. I like it(so far lol).

What I know it needs:
-Glove box repaired.
-Arm rest latch repaired.
-Trunk seems to not close sometimes.
-Hood strut ball mount point came off and fell inside the hood.
-Has an aftermarket exhaust and it's leaking somewhere.

These are the little things that are annoying me, but I can live with until I have a spare minute to tinker with it.

The things that are more concerning: the power steering pump is noisey, and I can't get VagCom to communicate with it. I forget which one but it's a genuine cable (the $250 one lol). I did the auto scan and it talks with some if the other systems but not the engine, transmission or airbag, etc. I know there's a lot of info on both topics and I'm still researching that.

But I'm trying to figure out if the pump is toast, so I can order one asap. I'm familiar with the bleeding proceedure, but I'm not sure how to tell if it's actually the pump failing. I've added fluid and turned the wheel lock to lock several times. Driven it, added fluid, bled again, etc. etc.The steering feels ok but it's still noisey. Any other car I've had (B4, B5) it was almost instantly quiet after turning the wheel lock to lock several times. Maybe it's just air that needs to work it's way out, but is there a way to test the pump to be sure it's good or bad? I imagine it would involve removing it and sending it out. I'd have to be retarded to do that. I'd just replace it if that's the only way.

I'm know more issues will likely crop up, but I'm pretty happy with it and it's heated seats!

Edit: I guess it just had to sit for a while, the pump seems to have quieted down a lot.

95 90q
01 S4 Avant TIPTRON BISHES!
03 Aprilia Caponord

Last edited by Alloutofdonuts on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Picked up a B7 S4, now whaddoo I do?!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:52 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

A lot of times it's a leak in the suction hose or reservoir hoses to the cooler or something. The slightest amount of air will cause that noise. So take care of that before the pump.

Your argument is invalid.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 am 
I post, therefore I am

It seems to have quieted down a lot after sitting a few hours, it's not silent but much better. Maybe i got lucky and the pump didn't implode....

I'll check the hoses tonight, I've been reading about people replacing entire thing, all the way to the rack, which seems like overkill, unless it's actually leaking there.

I don't have a problem with splicing in another piece of hose if there's a crack, even if some people consider it hackery. I'll use crimpy clamps if it pleases them lol. But would silicone hose be better to use? As long as its rated for what 200psi? Or is there a reason that wouldn't be a good idea.

I might even have some from a breather pipe diy on my b5 s4.

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:37 am 

Um... U might want to increase that pressure by a factor of 10! I don't know about that specific car but pressures on the high side of an Audi PS system can be 100 to 150 bar or 1500 to 2250 PSI!

That is the pressure the pump-to-rack hose can see. The hoses from the rack to the reservoir see *much* less, just a few PSI, and under some circumstances can even see a slight vacuum.

So on the pressure side the challenge is finding hose that can take the pressure, on the return side the challenge is finding hose that won't collapse under a partial vacuum.

'97 Saab 9000 Aero: mostly stock but ECU tweaks to add fastness
'86 4KTQ: R.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:52 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Ahhh ok, ya I guess 200 wouldn't probably hold up then lol! Hopefully it's the low pressure ones that are leaking. Any silicone hose I've seen is usually fairly squishy. Hmmm.

Side note, I forgot to mention that the el cheapy Bluetooth engine scanner & Torque app seemed to connect to the each first try, it used to take a few attempts on my b5 s4. No codes found though so maybe it's not really connecting??

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:17 pm 
Redline?

There's a reason hydraulic hoses are big and ugly. They're steel reinforced, it's required to deal with such high pressure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:40 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Next headache...keys. I'm reading there are some additional charges for the immobilizer chip programming. I'm curious tho, if it's possible to remove that chip from the one key that I have and just put it somewhere safe in the car (perminently). Then buy either a used or aftermarket fob on eBay and buy just the key part from the dealer?

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:37 am 
I post, therefore I am

Ok I think it's narrowed down to either one of the hoses coming off the reservoir. Or the reservoir itself? I'm assuming the suction one is the smaller hose on the res, that goes to the cooler? I think it's that one.

Using my Sherlock Homie skills, I *may* have deducesed that the line going to the rack has been replaced already. This is a long shot of course, but there's a small clear plastic cap on the frame rail and the clamp that's on it at the cooler end looked like this one in the pic:

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/Supah_eg6/media/2011-07-31_13-35-14_977.jpg.html

If I could only find the yellow cap on the other end, I'd have proof! I'm only 1/2 serious, ok maybe not even 1/2(actually more just wishful thinking) because I really don't want to have to replace the one to the rack!! :x

Edit: does anybody know the p/n for that suction hose?

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:52 pm 
Redline?

You could take the id48 transponder thing out of your good key and tape it near the... Uh... Place where your key goes.

It's made of glass though, so you need to remove it with acetone or something like that

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:44 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Marko wrote:
You could take the id48 transponder thing out of your good key and tape it near the... Uh... Place where your key goes.

It's made of glass though, so you need to remove it with acetone or something like that
Good to know, I've been being especially retarded lately and breaking a lot of s*** lol. So if I broke it I'd be pretty well f***ed though? Also, it'd make it easier for someone to steal the car? I'm not really too worried about that, just weighing pros & cons. I read that you can buy new transponders', but still need the dealer pricks to program it to the car?

So, $60 for a used fob + $5 for the transponder + $? For a key blank and cut at dealer, + $? to code the transponder at the dealer, I think I can program the remote myself (?). Starting to wonder if I should bother piecing it together, if it doesn't end up working that would be flushing $.

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:10 pm 
I post, therefore I am

I'm starting to rack my brains with the damned p/s leak!

The hose I replaced with a piece of silicone hose did have a big crack in it(It's the larger one off the res, about 8" long, goes to a metal pipe), I could see the hole in it after I took the sheathing off and straightened it out. It's the feed line to the pump, so that would've been sucking in air, wouldn't it? I can't figure out where else it's leaking though. It looks like the hoses where they go to the cooler but it's all soaked from the res puking.

I used my Power Bleeder brake pressurizer tool to check the other 2 hoses(1 that goes off the res, to the cooler, and the other that goes from the cooler to the rack)and they didn't seem to lose any (only pumped it up to like 5 psi?)after sitting for 10+ minutes, also didn't see any more dripping.

Even the reservoir held pressure, but the cap didn't. Like none at all. Air would come out the breather, which is where the frothy fluid was coming out this morning g after I moved the car into the garage. So I'm not sure what to think now. Maybe the pump is sucking in air too?? Seems it would drip when the car was off, but that area is dry. Is the cap supposed to hold and pressure or is that for vacuum? Could I have damaged it by putting pressure to it (less than 5psi)???

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:27 pm 
Redline?

I don't think your issue is a "common" one. usually it is a failure of the pressure hose to/from rack due to heat. Mine was the pressure hose to rack which i bought brand new. maybe your pump is going out but anyhow if you need anything I still have plenty of part of my B7 S4 laying around that I can let you have

08 Audi S4 (parting out)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:37 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

The BHF uses a vane pump, and the refill procedure is damn specific in the Bentley. Fill reservoir, start car and immediately shut off. Refill reservoir, start car and immediately shut off. Repeat until the level doesn't change.

Frothy bubbles means there's air, yes. There will be no bubbles once the air is out.

AFAIK the cap doesn't hold pressure. On my car you can see the fluid cycling with the cap off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:17 am 
Redline?

^^^ what he said and the cap doesn't hold pressure

08 Audi S4 (parting out)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:09 am 
I post, therefore I am

I think I've got the p/s leak figured out, but wanted to say BIG THANKS guys for your help.

In case anyone else runs into this, I believe the original problem was actually the hose (reservoir to pump, feed) that had a crack/hole in it. But it was never bled correctly (by me ), at least not the method I've used in my older Audi's. So the combination of air in the system and overfilling was causing it to push out the cap overflow hole, then it would be too low again, suck more air in, add fluid, etc etc. Just a cycle of stupid after the original problem was fixed lol. I got it by following the correct procedure like you mentioned (just more drawn out hahaha!), and it's been fine for a few weeks now so I think it may be fixed *knock on wood*.

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 am 
I post, therefore I am

Also got some of the little things done, the armrest cover is fixed , not sure how long it'll last but the entire cover was cheaper than just the little handle latch replacement part and I didn't have to screw around with taking the cover apart.

Glove box is also fixed, after ordering the wrong type repair kit (anyone need a 'z' type? U pay shipping and it's yours, free lol).

Got 2 of the one piece type transponder keys coded at the dealer and the tech was able to code the used remote I bought off eBag that I put a 'virgin' id48 chip in so that worked, surprisingly! It also came with a blank oem type (coated brass) key, so I just have to find someone that can cut it for me and I'll have 4 keys.

Also picked up an exhaust system which is partly Milltek w/RS4 mufflers. I'm not sure it'll be any quieter but I think it'll look better than what's on it now and it's also a larger diameter, better grade ss.

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 am 
I post, therefore I am

Now onto the sad part. This car is an auto, which I actually don't mind in a DD. But only if it's working properly...I think it may be shitting the bed. 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd are pretty hard once it's warmed up. Also 5-6 (but not 6-5???). Sometimes 4th to 3rd also hit pretty hard but seems infrequent. I've been able to bypass it temporarily by using the tip mode and shifting to 2nd only after 4k rpms (same with downshifting into 2nd which is a bit more tricky to get right). I'm sure people that see me think I'm a friggen tool Jeff Gordon wannabe lol. Sport mode still shifts hard too, just more often(I've seen people describing similar issues but doesn't do it in S mode). This is too stressful to drive it like this and I imagine it's doing more damage, and I also don't want to get stranded, then I'd have to walk. Oh nooooo!!!(I'm kind of fat ).

I've seen that this can be any number of issues, clutch packs, solenoids, valve body, old/contaminated fluid, etc.

But...the PO said that the trans & TCU had been replaced at the dealer with a remaned unit, but he had NO paperwork to go with the car. I don't want to say he was lying about it because it seems he had no reason to. I think if anything he was just the type that wouldn't keep records. Maybe that's wishful thinking. But if it does turn out to be untrue, then I'm in for timing chain guides as well because he said those were done at the same time :wtf:.

Does anyone know if a carfax vin check or something would show work done at a dealer?? Or is there a way for any dealer to run the vin to see if work was performed at another dealer or would it only be visable at the dealer (that the work was done at), if it was in fact actually done.

The other PITN's is Vagcom won't talk with the engine, trans, or airbags. The airbag light is on, on the dash, and the button on the console is lit up 'passenger airbag is off', so maybe that module is the problem. I thought I asked about this already but I can't find where so maybe it's my brain starting to boil. I've been doing nothing but reading about trans issues, 6 speed swaps, and 'No response from controller' issues for like the last week. Literally. Staying up until 2-3 am :dur: .
Ill post the results of auto scan in a bit if that helps.

Edit: also of note, the vagcom I have is a genuine ross tech K2 USB cable. I just DL'ed the most recent VCDS, 17.X. Previously it worked on my B5 S4, B5 A4, and a 2000 A6 (yesterday). I'm assuming it's an issue with this particular car, yet to be resolved.

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:58 am 
I post, therefore I am

And sorry for such long winded posts, just had to get it the f*** out.

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:18 am 
Redline?

for B7 you need hex-can VCDS.

like I said before i have a complete Auto tranny even rear diff you can come get I have no need for.
basically the car will be scraped after the winter

08 Audi S4 (parting out)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:23 pm 
I post, therefore I am

thierryfabrice1 wrote:
for B7 you need hex-can VCDS.

like I said before i have a complete Auto tranny even rear diff you can come get I have no need for.
basically the car will be scraped after the winter

Oh crap!!! Anyone wanna buy a K2 USB?! LOL!! Thanks! Sending pm!

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:13 pm 

Hard or erratic shifting in the D2 can be caused by a bad MAF. It doesn't throw a code as its still reading plausible values, but its far enough out that the TCU gets a misleading load signal from the ECU and consequently gets the shift wrong.

Not sure if it would apply to the B7 but its worth mentioning :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:27 am 
I post, therefore I am

I think I might have seen mention of this with a B7 A4. I probably skimmed over it after I saw (what I thought was) not trans related problem -duh lol. Went back and read it thru, it was just that; trans shifng hard and different rpms than normal. I'll check that when I get the hex-can RT cable. Thank you kindly!

Edit: seems I remember checking a maf with dmm in the past. It was maybe an Urs6 or something older, but I imagine it's fairly similar....

95 90q
03 Aprilia Caponord

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: General

Jump to:  

Information