Automobiles Forum banner

Audi 90 quattro 2.5 TDI, now S2 Limo project

189K views 722 replies 88 participants last post by  jbrentd 
#1 ·
Barely finished one project and already knee deep in another.
Just finished pulling the motor and transmission out of my B4 90 quattro.
I was going to enjoy the V6 a bit longer but the water pump failed on it... and since you have to take the front end apart to get to it, might as well just yank it out.

Plan is

- 2.5 TDI, yes, the one that was supposed to go into my old 4kq.
- 6-speed transmission
- RS2 shift linkage
- RS2 transmission mounts
- S2 intercooler and crossmember
- RS2 front bumper for functionality rather than look (stock bumper does not allow S2 intercooler).

That's about all... sounds simple, we'll see about that.. ;)

Pics of the car before the swap:

Update, 2019 TDI engine blown, now the car is sporting an ABY engine as close to original as possible to make is an S2 Limo.

See less See more
#604 ·
ralleyquattro said:
Not much, running top notch and very happy.. not planning on any upgrades anytime soon.. maybe 5-bolt suspension, but nothing engine wise.

Thanks for asking.
Good.
Any chip tuning yourself ?
So the engine/tranny are at the final stage. Everything is fine for you now. 6 speed, right, with elctronic diesel control ...
dyno runs ?
Black smoke when full throttle ?
How much liter/km ? on cruising speed ?

happy you enjoy it. I would like too :)

#606 ·
Nickel_5000tq said:
ralleyquattro said:
Not much, running top notch and very happy.. not planning on any upgrades anytime soon.. maybe 5-bolt suspension, but nothing engine wise.

Thanks for asking.
Good.
Any chip tuning yourself ?
So the engine/tranny are at the final stage. Everything is fine for you now. 6 speed, right, with elctronic diesel control ...
dyno runs ?
Black smoke when full throttle ?
How much liter/km ? on cruising speed ?

happy you enjoy it. I would like too :)
Chiptuning by Malone tuning.
Everything is final for now.. the only thing engine wise I might change in the future would be the turbo and exhaust manifold.. go with K24 rather than the puny K14.

Very little black smoke, nothing that I would consider embarrassing.

Average so far is 6.4L/100km with best tank of 5.4L/100km. Worst was 8.1 in the dead of winter.

Got the airbox figured out, might post some pics and description of what I did.
Otherwise the starter solenoid is giving me grief.. this is a second starter and both the solenoids are faulty.

Cheers

#610 ·
crappyoldaudis said:
Sweet, 45 mpg is pretty good since I bet you don't have a light foot lol. I'm still unable to shake the desire to put a 5cyl diesel in an A8.
If I was doing it again I would probably go 4 cyl next time around.. so much more in terms of aftermarket, the 5 pot was only in production till '97 and that was it. I could go with later ECU etc. etc... but then wiring harness mods are needed and for a daily driver I have no time for that.. I need a reliable bolt on stuff.

Also Hybrid Hatch showed me with his B4 1.8T swap that late B4 mounts actually bolt a 4 cyl in place of the 2.8 V6 so motor mount welding etc. would not be needed with proper 1.9tdi block. Live and learn.

And really, if you want economy nothing can beat that 1.9.

Cheers

#611 ·
looking back over this thread, I saw the pictures of the accident, if you've not already done it since the accident then at the exit from the ic into the crossmember put a piece of silicone over this rather than relying on the o rings inside this as they are prone to leaking. Its a quick and easy mod that is worthwhile doing.

#616 ·
ralleyquattro said:
http://digital.audi-presskit.de/en/tdi_workshop_2014/25-jahre-tdi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cool to see the engine so clean and fresh, nice of Audi to take those pics!
That is a beautiful thing. The 100s appear to use a 80/90 type gauge cluster? I wonder when the 4 cylinder TDI had its first debut.

#618 ·
Just read this. Well done with the conversion.

The AAT/AEL is a great engine. I fitted one to my Vanagon Syncro 16 and drove it through (yes through) 6 gearbox rebuilds in 4 years. I got fed up with the gearbox issues and sold the conversion and have an AAN in there now instead.

Re cruise-control issues. Do you have two signals for the brake pedal and one for the clutch? You can read the values (0 or 1) in measuring blocks for all of the cruise control signals, brake/clutch switches, cruise control switches etc and that way work out if everything is working. You must have two different signals from the brake pedal, you can't just rig up both wires to the same switch as the signals need to separated by a short time delay to keep the ECU happy.

Re cold start issues with glow-plugs not kicking in. This was a constant issue with mine as the system isn't designed to give you glow plugs unless the sensor reads under 5oC or something similar. I ended up fitting a manual system with a relay.

MG

#619 ·
Mickey said:
Just read this. Well done with the conversion.

The AAT/AEL is a great engine. I fitted one to my Vanagon Syncro 16 and drove it through (yes through) 6 gearbox rebuilds in 4 years. I got fed up with the gearbox issues and sold the conversion and have an AAN in there now instead.

Re cruise-control issues. Do you have two signals for the brake pedal and one for the clutch? You can read the values (0 or 1) in measuring blocks for all of the cruise control signals, brake/clutch switches, cruise control switches etc and that way work out if everything is working. You must have two different signals from the brake pedal, you can't just rig up both wires to the same switch as the signals need to separated by a short time delay to keep the ECU happy.

Re cold start issues with glow-plugs not kicking in. This was a constant issue with mine as the system isn't designed to give you glow plugs unless the sensor reads under 5oC or something similar. I ended up fitting a manual system with a relay.

MG
Thanks for the comments, appreciate them.

Cruise control issue has been fixed, it was the switch on the stalk.. easy done.

The start up was also solved, I had no idea but the glow plug system does not come into play at above 6 degrees, so there was my confusion. But the main issue was pump timing, with the old 1T setup I had to manually set the timing, which helped a lot! Also now with the AEL setup I can adjust the timing using VAG-COM so that is very handy as well... no more start issues.

Cheers
Martin

#621 ·
Just dusting off the thread, she's still running like a top!
Hoping for some ice on the lakes so I can take her out.

Managed to get a Competition/S2 rear bumper and OEM rear hitch (Westfalia) just a matter of having them shipped over.. :(
Hopefully the cheaper gas price will also mean some discounts on shipping.. :)

Otherwise still not sure why factory failed to offer this combination of chassis and motor, shame, its awesome!

#622 ·
Martin how do you adjust timing in vcds on the ael? Or you just mean you use measuring blocks/graphs... As far as I know you can't adjust it through adaptation like the alh. I have mine off the chart advanced because it doesn't start well. Dad and I went through everything a few times because we thought we were perhaps a tooth off, I don't know. Maybe sometime we can go through mine together. It only started acting funny after the timing belt tensioner ate shit, so it's either timing or compression but I think it has to be timing. Something silly going on.

It's actually kind of annoying not having the glow plugs come on above 5c. Sometimes the engine will be just warm enough to not energize the plugs but too cold to start that well with the very cold air being ingested. Stupid thing :). I think I'll be putting a switch in to defeat that coolant temp sensor at the front of the engine.

#623 ·
There is a graph which shows the current timing, adjustment is still done manually.
Mine was a tooth off, not sure why, but now that I can check it with VAGCOM and verify that it is correct, all is well.
Starts like a dream every time all temps, no issues if glow plugs do not come on above 6C.

I'll try to remember to bring my TDI and laptop to the next meeting (the 8th).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.