motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

The 20vt Quantum Syncro Wagon

Post subject: Re: The 20vt Quantum Syncro Wagon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:38 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

This makes me want to get back at my v8 quantum. keep up the good work!

91 200 wagon(round two) pearl white w black leather
MK1 scirocco GTL x 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:48 pm 
Stuck in first

Thanks guys. Not much progress as of late. I've located a good floor pan for the driver side of the car. I have to get back to the junkyard the donor car is in and finish cutting the floor out.. I got it 75% cut out and all my batteries died for my sawzall and grinder.

Other than that, a pretty awesome Christmas present that will help make some of the things I have in mind for this car become reality and not just an idea.
ImageIMG_8318 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:37 am 
Stuck in first

Minor update. I fixed some more rot on the driver side rear wheel arch. It's a nice feeling knowing there is no more rust on that side minus the floor.

ImageIMG_8327 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Also put the new welder to use. I gave this 3 core Civic radiator to my cousin forever ago for his Civic before he decided that building a 1JZ for his MK3 Supra was a better idea than building his Civic lol. It's fits perfectly in the stock radiator location so I got it back from him and flipped the lower hose connection/bung to be on the right side of the lower tank to have it work in the car. It's a few inches shorter, but thicker, so in terms of volume and overall capacity it is pretty damn close to the stock radiator.

ImageIMG_8330 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Not the best weld because I couldn't find the right size tungsten. So I smoothed it out quite a bit, but it's strong and should be leak free (testing that tonight).
ImageIMG_8331 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:33 am 
Stuck in first

I did a thing today and bought this gem. It will make a real nice addition to the engine bay.

ImageS1 intake by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageS1 intake back by dougkehl1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:46 pm 
Chirping second

Nice work! keep it up

08 Audi S4 (parting out)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:31 am 
Stuck in first

thierryfabrice1 wrote:
Nice work! keep it up

Thanks man!

I've gotten the entire diver side of the car ready for primer so now I can strip the passenger side down and then the car is getting a fresh coat of high build epoxy primer. So hopefully within 2 weeks or so I can get the car in primer and block sanded down and ready for paint.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:41 am 
I post, therefore I am

What civic is the rad ment for?

York PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:12 am 
Stuck in first

DE80q wrote:
What civic is the rad ment for?

It's for an EF/EG Civic which is like 1992 - 2000 I think. I'm going to get it into the car when I get back from Texas this Friday and test it out with the stock 10v and see how it cools the engine just sitting and idling.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:34 am 
Chirping second

Those radiators are all over ebay for $80 with a slim electric fan. Best route for the small chassis cars. I have one as well in my 4k and fitment is awesome, cheap alternative. I also make them for friends to fit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:05 am 
Stuck in first

Aidans95audis6 wrote:
Those radiators are all over ebay for $80 with a slim electric fan. Best route for the small chassis cars. I have one as well in my 4k and fitment is awesome, cheap alternative. I also make them for friends to fit.

Exactly! That's how much it cost me like 3 years ago when I originally bought it and fortunately my cousin managed to keep the shroud and slim fan that came with it. Also, the reduced height is going to very nice for the intake manifold I'm putting together for the AAN between the ITB's and the plenum I just got.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:56 am 
Chirping second

Nice build- I miss my AAN QSW (If you google AAN quantum syncro, the top 2 results threads are mine, as well as all 5 image search results :) )

side story: I actually got to drive it (after I sold it) on practice day at last October's LeMons race, and although on garbage tires, it was still a hoot. Fast forward to the next morning at the start of the race, and the new owner had to retire after 3 laps because the plastic coolant neck on the back of the motor disintegrated and drained the water. If the motor is toast, we're pulling it and putting in a 4.2

Anyways, sweet project, much more care and love than I put into my racewagon (which was mostly built with anger).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:15 am 
Stuck in first

derekste wrote:
Nice build- I miss my AAN QSW (If you google AAN quantum syncro, the top 2 results threads are mine, as well as all 5 image search results :) )

side story: I actually got to drive it (after I sold it) on practice day at last October's LeMons race, and although on garbage tires, it was still a hoot. Fast forward to the next morning at the start of the race, and the new owner had to retire after 3 laps because the plastic coolant neck on the back of the motor disintegrated and drained the water. If the motor is toast, we're pulling it and putting in a 4.2

Anyways, sweet project, much more care and love than I put into my racewagon (which was mostly built with anger).

Thank you very much man! And I know and love your old car. When I first got my Quantum and started looking around on google yours was one of the first I came across and thought it was awesome.

And I ended up getting into this car wayyyy more than I intended when I bought it. It started with love, but all the rust (which isn't terrible by any means, but isn't good either) is mainly forcing me to build it with anger now lol. The only reason for going as far as I am is because it's going to see road use in the winter in northern NJ where they put absurd amounts of salt down instead of teaching people that a good winter tire will help them greatly.. So cars that are rusted dissolve quickly. But I plan to give this car hell on the track too with the JT and once the AAN is in it. I may have a few questions for you in the future about certain suspension topics regarding this car because as you know the front is an Audi 4000 and can be adjusted the same way, but the back is definitely not even close to an Audi 4000 lol.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:11 am 
Stuck in first

No real updates as of late. I did some on and off traveling for work and I've made some progress in between then. Mostly just body work and fixing the floors and center support bearing carrier brackets on the tunnel. The only real cool thing that happened was the plenum for the intake showed up from Germany and it was a perfect match to my ITB's. Hopefully this weekend or sometime next week I can get the manifold cut out on my buddies CNC machine to mate the ITB's to the AAN.

ImageIMG_8338 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8340 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:46 am 
Stuck in first

Worked on the car a bunch this weekend. I went to a local junkyard that has a Quantum wagon I've been pulling parts from. I got the entire driver side floor and gas filler surround for $50. Not bad.

I welded in the gas filler surround and noticed one big problem. Even the minor heat from the tacking of the new surround into place cause enough expansion and contraction of the body panel that it separated from the fiberglass fender I cobbled together. I was skeptical about that fix from the start and this time my gut was right.. It's just annoying I spent as much time as I did on it. Oh well, learned my lesson and went ahead and installed a new metal fender arch from Klokkerholm.

ImageIMG_8350 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8354 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Finished welding it in and grinding the welds down last night, body filler and block sanding tonight. Once that's done then I can start cutting out the driver floor and then the car is ready for paint, minus a few tiny things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:16 am 
Redline?

dougkehl wrote:
Oh well, learned my lesson and went ahead and installed a new metal fender arch from Klokkerholm.

Good resource I've never heard of them but just checked out their site.. I didn't see any listings for Quantum, what model did you use that has matching arches?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

08 Passat wagon tsi 6spd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:11 am 
Stuck in first

jlw wrote:
dougkehl wrote:
Oh well, learned my lesson and went ahead and installed a new metal fender arch from Klokkerholm.

Good resource I've never heard of them but just checked out their site.. I didn't see any listings for Quantum, what model did you use that has matching arches?

Klokkerholm is based out of Denmark, I believe. So if you go to klokkerholm.com or klokkerholm.nl you will find the part. However, I don't know how rough the shipping would be to get it here and I didn't bother to find out.

So I googled Volkswagen Quantum fender arch and Raybuck was the first one that came up.. I never heard or ordered from them, but they supplied me with the Klokkerholm fender arch. It shipped quickly and for a decent price, like $60 shipped.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:03 am 
Chirping second

dougkehl wrote:
I may have a few questions for you in the future about certain suspension topics regarding this car because as you know the front is an Audi 4000 and can be adjusted the same way, but the back is definitely not even close to an Audi 4000 lol.

so, what I ended up with was Audi 4k Bilstein Sports up front with B&G springs.

for the back... I ended up with some Bilstein HD shock that had the right size ends... and maybe stock springs with a coil cut off? whatever.. Sports in front (1" lower than HD, with lowering springs) and HDs in the back (maybe I used stock Mk1 GTI springs??)... the car sat like 3-4" inches higher in the rear... it had ridiculous rake. Being totally gutted and front heavy with the AAN didn't help I'm sure...

this is the best photo I could find... look at that rear wheel gap! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 227&type=3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:13 am 
Stuck in first

derekste wrote:
dougkehl wrote:
I may have a few questions for you in the future about certain suspension topics regarding this car because as you know the front is an Audi 4000 and can be adjusted the same way, but the back is definitely not even close to an Audi 4000 lol.

so, what I ended up with was Audi 4k Bilstein Sports up front with B&G springs.

for the back... I ended up with some Bilstein HD shock that had the right size ends... and maybe stock springs with a coil cut off? whatever.. Sports in front (1" lower than HD, with lowering springs) and HDs in the back (maybe I used stock Mk1 GTI springs??)... the car sat like 3-4" inches higher in the rear... it had ridiculous rake. Being totally gutted and front heavy with the AAN didn't help I'm sure...

this is the best photo I could find... look at that rear wheel gap! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 227&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jesus that is some rake! haha

I'm currently running Audi 4k Bilstein Sports or HD's up front.. I can't remember which, but with stock springs and KYB gas-adjust 1st Gen Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX rear shocks with stock springs, I think I mentioned that earlier in this thread?

But the ride is surprisingly firm with my set up and it sits pretty level, but it's just high and with the 16x7.5 Azevs and 205-55-16 tires, it's extra high so I want it lower. Not much, but enough to close up the wheel gap. At some point I'll probably do something with Ground Control, but for now I might just cut the springs and see how it rides and if it's tolerable and still handles well I'll leave it until I can really sort out the right options.

Also I'll have to get some pictures up, but I got the new aluminum radiator mounted up, plummed, and the fan wired. It cools the car nicely just sitting there so I'm confident to drive with it. I also pulled out a spare Mocal 19 row oil cooler I had and decided to add that to the car just in front of the radiator so I'll make up some brackets for that and hopefully I can have it all plummed up by next week. Yay for cooling!

Last edited by dougkehl on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:23 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

MK1 rabbit coilovers work in the back, I have done it on multiple cars. I use the bilstein race ones. 8 inch spring lets you dial in ride height pretty easy. springs are cheap so you can swap to what you like. I used 4k coilovers in the front same advantages.

91 200 wagon(round two) pearl white w black leather
MK1 scirocco GTL x 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:27 am 
Redline?

Yeah Mk1 rabbit Bilstein HDs work with the stock QSW Springs as well, that's what I have in mine.. The only thing you need to do is mill another groove for the circlip down about three quarters of an inch if I recall to maintain the stock ride height or more to lower it..

08 Passat wagon tsi 6spd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:18 am 
Stuck in first

Yeah I've heard the mk1 stuff was pretty much the way to go in the rear. The only reason I didn't go that way initially was because I wasn't sure I wanted to lower it.. But now I am definitely sure I want to lower it a bit haha.

Anyway here are some pictures of the Civic radiator installed.
ImageIMG_8378 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8377 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

This weekend I patched and strengthened some areas on the tunnel (no pictures of that), but most importantly I got the new driver side floor pan separated from the frame rails it was spot welded to. Now I can cut the floor out and get this welded back in, seam sealed and undercoated and then the chassis is basically ready for primer.
ImageIMG_8381 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information