motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

The 20vt Quantum Syncro Wagon

Post subject: The 20vt Quantum Syncro Wagon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:54 am 
Stuck in first

This car fell into my lap for a decent price from my friend. It needed help when I bought it, the back end was smashed in from an accident. This was a car that was never supposed to be a project other than the body work, but after watching enough seasons of Group B rallying my dad convinced me to put a 20vt in the car. Which, once the idea was firmly in my head got me really excited because I've always wanted some sort of small chassis Audi with a 20vt in it, and this is pretty damn close because it's still a b2 chassis car.. And it's a station wagon!

I've been working on the car for about a year, so this first post will document the changes/progress made so far minus engine work because other than picking up an AAN out of a 93 UrS4 for the car that's all I've really accomplished with that.

Up to this point, it's just been body work and making it a solid daily driver.

So lets get to some pictures! Here's when I bought the car
ImageIMG_20150906_112355_564 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20150906_112522_713 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

The smashed back end. Luckily the frame rails in the back were still straight. This took quite a bit to get sorted because these cars just rot back there so finding a clean donor car was next to impossible.
ImageIMG_20160128_165836_643 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

New rear valance, front fenders and a rust free hatch all for $90.
ImageIMG_20160522_131025_430 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Time to get cuttin'
ImageIMG_20160529_123650_558 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

New panel in and it fits like a glove!
ImageIMG_20160531_121554_187 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20160531_211345_329 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20160601_211140_675 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20160607_115547_221 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Other minor things I've done to it are upgrade the exhaust. I quickly made 2.25" stainless steel unit, this was done mostly to get it through inspection as the old one was in sorry shape.
ImageIMG_20160525_175447_514 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

A NOS Techtonics Tuning 272* camshaft and adjustable cam gear for the 10v. During this it also got a new timing belt, new lifters, and a new water pump.
ImageIMG_20151207_150045_285 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20151207_172622_224 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Upgraded the stock shifter to an 034Motorsport short shifter, as well as replacing the nonexistant ball socket bushing on the 016 trans and made a solid dogbone shift link getting rid of the old work rubber ended link. The car shifts like a dream.
ImageIMG_20151129_124021_582 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Other things I've done that I don't have pictures of:
- Upgrade the struts in the front to Bilstein HD's and I upgraded the rears to KYB AGX adjustable shocks from a first gen Mitsubishi AWD Eclipse, basically a direct swap (ground control coilover sleeves and Eibach springs to replace oem springs shortly)
- Replaced the driveshaft carrier bearing and the u-joint.
- Rebuilt the differential lock selector so it actually holds vacuum.
- All new control arms, bushings, ball joints, sway bar bushings, and tie rods up front.
- New slave cylinder.

Things that are in the works currently are the remainder of the body work. The car is getting 4 new doors, 2 non rotted front fenders, a brand new windshield almost a complete set of new window seals and a fresh coat of paint. Then it's onto the fun stuff. The engine, which will be a long drawn out project as I just finished one engine build for my mk1 rabbit and this is also my first turbocharged engine build. I'm used to high strung naturally aspirated engines so I've got some things to learn. For now, the only goal I have for the engine is 350-400whp.

Updates to come once I get some time to upload some pictures.

Post subject: Re: The 20vt Quantum Syncro Wagon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:11 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

interesting project! c

94 BMW 850Csi - Red 6speed
94 & 95 Ford Thunderbird Supercharged 5 speed
92 Mustang convertible 5speed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:17 pm 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Super cool to see you on here man! Have been following that car on IG since before you owned it. Hit me up if you have any syncro/20v swap questions

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:24 am 
Stuck in first

Thanks guys!

dubsmith wrote:
Super cool to see you on here man! Have been following that car on IG since before you owned it. Hit me up if you have any syncro/20v swap questions

And that's awesome that you've been following this car since before my time. This really is a sweet car and it was totally worth fixing all the damage. I'm really pumped for this project to keep moving forward. But should I have any questions about the swap in particular I'll definitely ask.

And a minor update that's really of no significance at this time, I acquired a complete wiring harness for the AAN swap yesterday because the one that came with the engine was chopped at the firewall. This won't be needed for some time, but at least I have it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:54 am 

This is an awesome project. I've got a lot of love for B2 models, I used to own a 1988 VW Passat 2.0 GL5, sadly it was FWD. We never got the AWD models in the UK.

I can't wait to see this one evolve!

2000 B5 A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI V6 6MT.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:32 pm 
Stuck in first

Finally got a chance to take some pictures!! I recently got the Azev Type A's mounted. I was worried about the 205/55r16 tires rubbing in the rear, but they seem to clear pretty well going over bumps and stuff.. I mean the car isn't lowered, but compared to stock this wheel/tire set up is quite large and really fills the wheel wells. I'll be lowering it about an inch in the rear and an inch and a half in the front soon, once the front fenders get back on it lol.

ImageIMG_8179 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8182 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8183 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

I also finished sound deadening the trunk today
ImageIMG_8194 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Also rebuilt the rear passenger fender with fiber glass.. Mostly as a measure to prevent rust. B2 passats have a plastic cover in the rear that holds up the breather tube for the fuel tank.. It traps and holds water like a sponge and causes the passenger fender to rot almost completely out as well as strut tower damage..
ImageIMG_8192 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

So here is the rot all cut out with the inner fender rebuilt where rot was an issue and covered in weld through primer. I didn't bother cleaning the welds up because it's going to be covered in fiber glass anyway.
ImageIMG_8180 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Made some fingers, coated them in weld through primer and tacked them in place in an outward facing position. When I applied the fiber glass I then pressed the fingers into the fiber glass to act as reinforcement for the fiber glass.
ImageIMG_8188 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8189 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8190 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8191 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Now that last picture looks horrid, but I have yet to sand it down. I assure you it will look much nicer tomorrow. It's already insanely strong which makes me happy. I was hesitant at first to try this out, but it saved me some time and I'm ok with that even though it's not how I would have preferred to fix it.

More pictures and progress to come tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:54 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Interesting way to do that repair. Nice. Well, it won't rot out again. ;-)

Greg W.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:33 am 
Stuck in first

90quattrocoupe wrote:
Interesting way to do that repair. Nice. Well, it won't rot out again. ;-)

Greg W.

Yeah it is pretty interesting.. I was definitely skeptical at first. My buddy who is the manager at a Colours paint outlet who supplied me with all the supplies to paint the car recommended it because he used it on his 300zx that he just finished.. He said it's strong as hell and he's not kidding at all. This stuff is nuts. You'd nearly have to drop kick the car to get it to break.. and it only cost me $20 vs a $60 replacement fender arch and $80 shipping from Germany.

But it snowed here in northern NJ today so no progress because my mk1 rabbit is in the garage and the quantum is actually too long to fit in my garage with the crap that's in there. lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:11 am 
Stuck in first

Just because it's Thanksgiving doesn't mean there is no work to be done! Just some minor things got taken care of today, the headliner, roof rack and dashboard got removed. So now I can easily and properly finish prepping the roof for primer and I can easily remove the windshield and install the new one.

ImageIMG_8195 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8198 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8203 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Hopefully by the end of the long weekend this car will be 100% ready to primer.. A lot of work still to do, but it's doable. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, enjoy drinkin beer and eating turkey until you pass out!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:36 pm 
Stuck in first

Made some more progress today. Started working on sanding down the fiberglass to create the new fender. It's very time consuming. And the two pictures I have are not of how it looks now. I'll get a picture tomorrow after I test fit the oem fender flare to make sure it fits correctly.

ImageIMG_8206 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8210 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

And I got the AAN home, finally. It's been sitting at a family members house since the day I picked it up about 8 months ago. I can finally start messing around with it and getting it cleaned up.

ImageIMG_8208 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8207 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:11 am 
Stuck in first

This thing will be sweet! Always thought one of these would be a great sleeper. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:12 pm 
Stuck in first

zephyrj wrote:
This thing will be sweet! Always thought one of these would be a great sleeper. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! Yeah that's the goal, to have a sweet daily driver/sleeper.

At first, I think mentioned in the first post, I was aiming for like 350-400whp, but for now I am going to keep it stock in terms of how it performs because I'm still learning all there is to know about a turbocharged engine; I know a fair bit, but not all and I can't really afford to blow this thing up once the swap is done. I plan to build the engine how I would like in terms of head work, cams, a different turbo, exhaust, intake, fueling, ect. to make and handle the power I want down the road and when I order the VEMS ecu to manage the engine, I plan to get/make a map set up to run the engine how it would be stock or at least close to it. As I learn more things I can retune to increase the power and I'll for the most part already be set up to make the amount of power I want. But even stock, this thing will be pretty damn quick.. Really damn quick compared to how it is with the JT in there now!

One pretty cool thing I've been working on for the engine is an ITB turbo manifold. I love ITBs and have lots of experience tuning them and side draft carbs on VW 16v's and I've always wanted to build an ITB/turbo engine to put in a car so I'm giving it a whirl.

It's in the early stages, but here is a picture of what I have so far.. Really it's just the ITB's. Next up is to cut the flange on my friends CNC machine to mate them to the head. But that will come after paint is done in the next few weeks.

Image0928160908 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:35 am 
Stuck in first

Made some progress on the car this morning. I completed the rear fender arch on the passenger side. It turned out pretty damn good if I do say so..
ImageIMG_8255 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8256 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8257 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

And the wind shield and hood and rear glass are out.
ImageIMG_8259 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Took the sunroof out to install a new seal and regrease everything and reupholster the underside of it.
ImageIMG_8258 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

And I found and started working on the last two small areas of rot.
ImageIMG_8260 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8261 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

After the rot is fixed I just have to sand down the car and remove any surface rust and it's ready for a nice coat of epoxy primer and finally paint!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:29 pm 
Redline?

you get the windshield and seal out intact? whats your trick?

08 Passat wagon tsi 6spd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:09 pm 
Stuck in first

jlw wrote:
you get the windshield and seal out intact? whats your trick?

Unfortunately not, but I wasn't worried about it because I have a brand new seal from Volkswagen Germany and I have a brand new windshield that's going in too.

I cut the inner lip to remove the old windshield, but it looked to me that if you had a bunch of putty knives, you might be able to pry the inner lip of the seal down from the inside of the car with all the trim removed. The fingers that hold the inner lip of the seal definitely made it a pain the last time I tried removing a windshield from one of these and I broke the glass due to my lack of experience and inspection of the seal and how would be best to remove it..

If I was trying to save the seal and not break the glass I would probably use a bunch of putty knives this time around to attempt to apply somewhat even pressure over the whole piece of glass.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:49 am 

Awesome project. Excited to follow.

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56497
"Blog"
https://thisisthedailyrad.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:59 pm 
Stuck in first

Thanks you! It makes me happy to see that people are interested in this.. I mean it doesn't really matter, but people over on vortex don't even know what Quantums are half the time. Furthermore, it's made worse by the lack of knowledge about any B2 chassis car, Volkswage or Audi.

I'm hoping that I can get the car into paint the week after Christmas and then I can start focusing on prepping the engine for swapping.

The only progress/update I have for today is finishing the fenders and doors. Minor spots of filler needed, but that's all. Rear doors and hood getting picked up from media blasting tomorrow.
ImageIMG_8267 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

And a picked up a 7A kevlar upper timing belt cover and 7A thermostat housing from the swap meet section.. I'll probably end up making a lower kevlar belt cover to match the upper at some point down the line.

Aside from adding some body filler, most of my night will be spent getting the other project car ready to go to it's temporary home so I can get the Quantum car into my garage to finish the remainder of the body work.
ImageIMG_8268 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8269 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8271 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:34 pm 

What size are the DCOEs in that A1?

'99.5 Jetta TDI RC3e/Shine susp. 47-52 mpg

Law 42 • Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:27 pm 
Stuck in first

oil_me wrote:
What size are the DCOEs in that A1?

45's. It runs on VP C12 most of the time. It's a screamer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:13 pm 

Nice project!
I'm a fabricator at 2Bennett, and my coworker built(before my time) an rs2 ADU'd FWD Syncro Wagon. I'll see if I can find any pics. It was an awesome project.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:50 am 
Stuck in first

maverick wrote:
Nice project!
I'm a fabricator at 2Bennett, and my coworker built(before my time) an rs2 ADU'd FWD Syncro Wagon. I'll see if I can find any pics. It was an awesome project.

Thank you! I've been following updates on your 88 80q and I always look forward to progress on it. And hell yeah, I'd love to see some pictures of that if you could find them.

I'm really excited to get this AAN into this car. It's probably going to be a long way off, but maybe it will happen sooner than later.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:28 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

I saw that Quantam at 2B years ago, it was done very well with mostly oem parts and had a factory look to it. The fwd part was a bummer but iirc the owner owned the car forever and loved it, I'd wager he wished it was awd after his first drive in the wet with all the new power.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:46 pm 
Stuck in first

Yeah I'd have to agree. I know for me in my A1 which makes 203whp it's more than enough in a front wheel drive car. I can't imagine having the kind of power and torque any 20v 5 cylinder would have, even stock, going to just the front wheels.

But I'd love to see pictures because I'm trying to keep my Quantum very stock looking on the outside, minus the wheels of course.. I don't plan on the engine bay looking too stock, but that's another matter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:36 pm 
Stuck in first

Made some progress on the car. First off I finally got the car in the garage.. It's a tight fit, but it fits and I can work on it in warmth and on a cement floor and not dirt.
ImageIMG_8296 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Also I got the carpets up. The driver's floor is in rough shape.. It's only rotted in a few places, but a lot of it is rusted so bad I'm not sure I can clean it good enough to weld a patch to it. I'm hoping my donor car has good floors just in case I can't do something with these.
ImageIMG_8295 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Other than than I picked up some Yakima roof rack mounts for rectangular bars for my ski rack so once I get the thing back together I can load my skis on top. These fit surprisingly good on the factory roof rack cross bars.
ImageIMG_8297 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Oh and the kevlar upper timing belt cover came for the 20v and it's pretty sweet. Definitely going to make a lower cover to match. This piece really inspired me for the final outcome of the engine bay of this car, but that will come with time.
ImageIMG_8290 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8292 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:15 am 

Cool project

My mum had quite a few of the uk fwd one's of these both saloons/estates. Very good cars, even the 10v n/a's sounded really good at the redline

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information