motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

95.5 S6 Avant resurrection

Post subject: 95.5 S6 Avant resurrection
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:27 am 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Picked up a new-to-me Avant recently which had been sitting for a couple of years, was partially dismantled, and was not running. I have since gotten it running and it's on the road, which has been fantastic. One thing about the car that is NOT fantastic is that the interior condition indicates that it was owned by a slob who smoked heavily, spat tobacco juice everywhere and experienced chronic incontinence. In the car. I have never seen Ecru leather stain like this. So I am swapping in black seats. This brings me to my issue. The driver's seat was not functional and was way too far back for me to drive comfortably. I had to cut the seat mounts with a sawzall to pull it out, but eventually managed. The new seat is in place but does not function. I get no response to commands from the seat switch. When the seat memory buttons are pressed the relay under the seat cycles (I hear it click) but nothing else happens. I have spent a ton of time looking for a pdf of the seat wiring diagram online and for the life of me cannot find one for the driver's side. Can anyone help me out? I have power at the seat base plug but I don't know how the seat memory communicates with the seat and how that might be affecting my situation. Anyone?

'00 Ducati ST2
-------------------------------------------------------
You can't lie to a nun.

Post subject: Re: 95.5 S6 Avant resurrection
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:43 am 

So I spent a few more minutes on this and discovered that although I have 12 volts at the harness plug, as soon as I load the power source (i.e. switch on the seat motor) the voltage drops to zero. Remove the load and it pops up to battery voltage again. I would love to know where this feed comes from. I pulled the circuit breaker under the hood that fuses the driver's seat circuit and replaced it with a 20A fuse. No change to the voltage issue and the fuse did not blow. Going back out in a minute to pursue it further.

'00 Ducati ST2
You can't lie to a nun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:49 am 
Redline?

http://www.mitchell-auto.ru/UserFiles/F ... -s4-wd.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll look through it a bit and post with info

Looks like everything is through the memory module, which is powered off 'S44' circuit breaker. There's a relay too (i believe under the seat) but that seems to be for memory not for motor power. - i think

Is your power low right at the circuit breaker?

There's a brown 6 pin connector under the seat that the power/ground comes in, maybe bad connection there dropping? or bad seat module or..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:10 am 
:blog:

Are you sure you have the connectors plugged in correctly? http://12v.org/urs/TomMullanesSeatHeaterRepair.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:02 pm 

Austin, to answer your question first, yes. Harness connections are plugged in correctly. Marko, thanks for the link, that is exactly what I am looking for. I will assume that the s6 is similar to the s4 regarding the wiring here and will move forward with diagnostics. I ended up running a feed to the power source at the seat base and powering the seat with it so I could reassemble the car (I needed to drive it). It now has nice black seats, fully functional with working heat, and I am not struggling with the urge to get a tetanus shot every time I sit in the car. But I do want to sort out the issue. I see in the wiring diagrams that the memory system for the seat and mirrors is fed by the J137 memory power supply relay. It's dark so I'm not going to go looking for it right now but does anyone know the location of that relay so I can pull and inspect? Seems like a likely culprit for my electrical issue here.
Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it.

'00 Ducati ST2
You can't lie to a nun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:58 pm 
Redline?

Normally the Audi schematics list where everything physically is on the bottom of the page, but that data seems to be clipped by Mitchell. :(

Googling it looks like on contemporary Audis, (v8) the relay is under the seat (attached to it). I guess that's probably correct because it isn't shown on any of the relay panels in that PDF.

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information