Automobiles Forum banner

Sport quattro copy.. project is SOLD :(

93K views 347 replies 84 participants last post by  ralleyquattro 
#1 · (Edited)
It seams that everyone and their grandma is doing an SQ conversion of some sorts. This one is no different. Sort of similar to the highoctane guys, however our kit is in Carbon Fibre and from a different source.

Here is the progress so far.

The car stripping day, engine was first to go, not sure why Mr Hopton is so happy.

OK, engine is out, now what??

This will be fun to fix, NOT

Car flipping day, now I can start cleaning the bottom side. doh!

Beautiful Georgia rust free floors.. ;)

Big thanks to Mike H and Craig C (highlander) for their help so far!

Mr Cook himself is doing the same project here

Sport quattro project's update

And Mr Hopton has joined us as well.

Get Shorty, AKA - The Binladen Sport

See less See more
#2 ·
I want to build an SQ-bodied full roll cage sooo bad. Very nice to see!

Eric

#7 ·
That thought has crossed my mind in the CQ (but only as a 24v FSI), as has the thought of an LS2 with boost...I mean you gotta have lots of power if you've got a full cage in your car.

Eric :slap:

#17 ·
Wee bit of an update... been back from Europe for two weeks and even though it's been busy I managed to get wee bit of work done.
A cup brush and a 5" grinder work wonders on the rubber undercoating.
Managed to strip half the floor in about 3 hours of solid work.
Need to wear face shield, ear protection and some thich gloves.. the vibrations were killing my hands after just one hour of continuous work.
Oh well.. I guess it's all worth it.

The page has pics of the progress.

The floor is very clean and there is very little rust. Good news since the less I need to fix the better.

I also decided to change the name of the project.
Aronold used to be my German Sheppard that passed away couple of years back.

#19 ·
Thanks!
Without it this project would be at a stand still... it's so hard to find 2-doors on this side of the pond.. There is a ton of them in Europe of course.. but that requires more effort and shipping and fetching and and and...

This one was extra sweet because it didn't have a sunroof and the doors did not have the small vent windows that the 5+5 used to have.

This way it's all like the actual Sport! Woohoo!

#22 ·
Thank you.. if it wasn't for this project I would never sell that car... took me loooong time to find it, not to mention the drive.. but I guess this project will be "more" fun. :p

Afterall I still have the 80q 2-door to give me the pre '85 4kq fix.

I can't believe I only have three cars in my sig line... last time that happened I was a poor student in high school.. :-D

#23 ·
i feel like bumping the thread, even though I've done very little on the car itself, Mike, Craig and myself have been busy copying the body kit and both Mike and Craig have started to work on theri own cars alrady, in fact Craig is way ahead of me at this point, his car is shortened already!

Exciting times.

#24 ·
ralleyquattro said:
nismo said:
I want to build an SQ-bodied full roll cage sooo bad. Very nice to see!

Eric
Yeah, you and Craig both.. got to be something wrong with you guys.. :p
At least you didn't mention VR6 in that sentence.. :D
vr6 tubed sq??!!?!?

#26 ·
ralleyquattro said:
no tube frame for me, I like the stock look. I5 for me only. ..
yea a urq/sq really needs an i5, and it will be beautiful for sure

Not that there is antying wrong with VR6
phew then youll still like my project

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.