Automobiles Forum banner

Rocco R16V : '79 Scirocco Rotrex Supercharged

35K views 154 replies 31 participants last post by  Rocco16V 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, Welcome to my project, Rocco R16V

It's a 1979 VW Scirocco Track day and Auto-X car, with a one of a kind Rotrex Supercharger setup.

Specs; 263HP 232TQ
Rotrex C30-94 with mount by the Wizard of OD, INA
034EFI Ic with me doing all the install and tuning.
91 oct, 4bar 42lb injectors, BBM fuel rail, CIS pump n lines.
2L ABA block, 9A head, TT cams, 9:1 comp wossner pistons, H-beam rods Edge
A/A intercooler - PL intake - TT long tube 4-1 header
020 4K with Peloquin, Clutchnet red 4puck
Custom suspension; my design one-off spindles - Koni - eibach
Cage By Joe J&B welding
Suspension tuning and Alignment by Hank at advancedautofab

Please read thru and feel free to contribute. :drive:

Edit: intro added, original post below.
========================================

I've been working on this for quite a while, doing a little here and there as I can afford. The goal has always been the same, build a fast Scirocco that would look like it had been a factory development car in the '80s and had been restored. Keeping it street legal and somewhat comfortable is important for the long drive to the track.
One of the first cars I ever owned was an '80 Scirocco 1.7l in 1986~1988 I loved it's quick off the line performance, great handling, but most of all durability. That car was no stranger to the offroad park.
This build is a tribute to the rocco that taught me and my younger brother to drive. That car went thru hell and back many times and never left u stranded even after a major crash it was driveable!
As She sits a 1.8l 16V na 034EFI 1b, tt exhaust, fun 125hp car in search of boost :woowoo:

This is what I started with a '79 rocco 1.6l not running, straight and solid. when I found her, she had been moved from dry storage to outside last winter. The carpert was full of water. If this car sat another year, there would have been no floorboards. After removing the interior I found only surface rust. Threw out the entire interior due to mold. Original color was gold and someone painted the car with white house paint I dont even think they washed it first. I mean no prep work at all :tard: but thats actually better for me, it came off easy.

It was disassembled and sent out for media blasting.

got some body work done.

not many pictures for the next few years. I had a cage started by a guy who has a nice exhaust shop, first time i came by to look at progress I was like WTF!!! Thats not what I wanted!!! Well, he had only a main hoop and halo with A pillars all tacked up (not welded). I said I'm taking my car, what do I owe you for this crap. we came to an agreement :starwars: and I saved up do get it done right.
Joe at J&B welding in spokane built me the perfect cage, It's a good start if I want to go road racing, just add more bars. It connects to all the susp mounts. Its easy to get in, adds to the strucural rigidity, and does not intrude into the passenger space in a way that would make driving without a helmet and harness unsafe. He also added camber caster plates to go with the coilovers from BSI. Then it wenty out for final body work and paint. Went with the same color as my first rocco, Platinum metallic and had the guy put a little red pearl into the clear. This took almost two years due to delays and the usual "yeah ill get to it soon" but it turned out great! the details really paid off, no holes for trim, emblems, ect. Can U find the A pillar bars?

Enter Donor #1 = '86 16V rocco 190k miles on odo. A girl driven, file full of maint recepts, leaking oil, body ok paint peeling. nice leather seats & good int. runs srong with a cold start idle problem. ac works, a nice car. she is going to donate all of her running gear and suspension. Its Really easy to do a 16V conversion when U start with a running car. In one short sunday she drove in a 16v and left a shell :( dont worry she's been given a new life 8) and I went from a rolling 79 spec A1 shell to having a '79 body with '86 spec A1 car (minus wiring and int)

Enter Donor #2 = she gave up her interior and windows with seals and a new fuse pannel with most of a fully working wiring harness

I'll let you ponder that impact. . . . . . and No... I did not crash that car!

Thats it for now. :drive: :thanks:

See less See more
#2 ·
I love MK1 roccos..... mine was an 80 with a G60 turbo in it...192whp222wtq it was fun to drive..but it left me around 1 month after i finished it....

#7 ·
Rocco16V said:
Yes the wheels are Konig Rewind with 205/50/15 toyo RA1's (victoracers in pic)

3baudios :eek: and i thought the blue car was crashed! That looks brutal! Hope you didn't get hurt.
I like those wheels as well, would like to find something similar for my MKII rocco 16v....

the accident.....well i did get a bit hurt, few broken bones, skull fracture, brain injury,etc...but i am still here and thankful every day for it!!

#8 ·
3bAudios, I'm thankful your still here.

Well, I was asked the other day; Why FWD Scirocco?

I owned/driven lots of cars and I've come to the realization that a man needs to own minimum of four cars!
1 = a daily driver; my dream daily driver would be an RS4
2 = nice toy; race car/hotrod/bike/boat/Audi/ ect. I want em all!!!
3 = project toy; something to work on.
4 = Truck, every man needs a truck to haul all those toys!
I also want to have 4x4, AWD, RWD, and FWD, to keep it new.

I will acknowledge a strong argument, that one large Audi wagon can fill all of those roles. :p

So I've got the truck(4x4), dd(awd), and when I got a new job and had to move I decided to sell my Spitford to my brother so i could start a new rwd project.
68 triumph spitfire "Spitford" 2.0L 2DCOE's 1500lbs sold

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb47 ... tford8.flv

In addition to sentimental reasons the scirocco is a great platform for autocross and it has filled #3 for years and now its #2 and 3 until I can convince the wife to let me buy a 944 to replace the spitford for some RWD fun. I'm below minimum now and feel incomplete. :(

#9 ·
For this project I wanted to take the opposite path from the usual, add more power then address deficiencies, way that most people build their cars.
The plan was to build the car to be ready for lots of power then building the motor last.
Finding the 16V car $1400 and swapping the whole engine/tranny/susp really helped keep costs down. I then sold the rolling shell with full wiring, CIS-E, A/C and good interior for $800. I hauled the blue car to the recycling center and got to strip what I wanted after the owner took his choice of what to keep.
This was important to the plan as I wanted to play around with a standalone EFI on a running motor and not have to learn how to tune at the same time as first firing a new expensive motor. Also by delaying the 'what to add power with' choice allows more time for parts to become available.
This also allowed me to fine tune the suspension settings, before all the power might mask some quirks.

I've really enjoyed learning how to tune with 034EFI! after I was satisfied with my tune I put it on a dyno. 1.8l 16v w/190K miles all stock except tt header and 034 1b in control. It put down 125hp and torque +-5 from 2500 to 6750 and I was complemented for my tune.
Wiring;
I was able to utilize stock relay holders and use bosch relays to incorporate all of the ECU's wiring for fuel pump, injectors, IAC, ect.

Suspension;
BSI coilovers a MK2 strut housing with Koni 2way adjustable inserts and Eibach springs, made for MK1 application. Custom made spindles for correct geometry with 2.25" drop

#10 ·
Do you have any pics of the custom spindles? where i could get some/make some? im assuming they would work with my mkII rocco 16v....

#11 ·
3bAudios, pm sent

My spindles are from a 16v rocco, I did a custom job that has the same end result as what thses guys sell
http://scch-heads.com/viewpart.php?id=20

Brakes;
i'm using the stock 4 wheel disk setup from the 16v 10.1" front, 8.9"rear with ATE fluid. I installed the 16v pedals, booster, and master cylinder.
I replaced all the hard lines with stainless and put on ss flex lines.
As for pads, i'm now using hawk blue in the rear and a race compound from adare motorsports in the front. It's amazing how much a difference a good set of pads make!
:drive:

#12 ·
I went to 034 today and met Javad Christian and the rest of the crew. What a bunch of great guys. Javad took some time out of his very busy day to give me a tour of the shop. These guy's have mad skillz.!!!
:thanks:
I got my 034EFI 1B 1bar upgraded to a 1C 2.5bar and picked up all the extras I'll need to switch to waste spark. I'm getting really excited about going to a boosted aba16V!

#18 ·
here are the screen shots of my 034 Ic 2.5bar set file
Those in the know, please check my settings to see if i missed something.
I've posted a map, take a look and let me know what you think and why.

Rotrex comp map

Please no cent vs turbo or pd stuff, that can be discussed here

Attachments

#23 ·
TheArchitect said:
That map is super duper smooth.

Unfortunately only you and your wideband will be able to say if it works as well as it looks.

Dont be afraid to tune it.
After reading more of your wise advice here
TheArchitect said:
A value of 14.23 suggests your injectors are WAY big for your motor.
I realized my injectors were way to big, I had a 30lb inj on n/a 1.8l16v with a value of 12.5

so with that in consideration i came up with this exageration for a proper injector size

Is this more realistic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.