Automobiles Forum banner

Jcarrick's 1993 urS4: SOLD

69K views 844 replies 67 participants last post by  pilihp2 
#1 ·
The car has come a long way since this thread was started. Here is what the original post was:

Hey guys, So i decided that i would start a thread on the kinda slow build of my 1993 Audi urS4. I am looking for as much input and information as possible. I wanna know what your thoughts are on my plans for this thing.

So here is a list of what is already currently done:
-Chipped (Dont know which one, it was done many many years ago)
-Apikol 1.8t Coils
-Porsche 993tt front breaks
-H&R Sport springs w/ "edit" Koni Yellow shocks
-RS2 exhaust cam
-A mild exhaust system that the previous owner had done
-034 bypass valve
-034 Street density engine and tranny mounts
-034 Snubber
-Stiffer wastgate spring
-Wide first 01E from an urS6
-3 Pod A pillar gauges: Boost and AFR, next will be EGT

Basically I want this to be a high horse power daily driver. I want 450awhp give or take. It wont necessarily be a driven every day, but it will definitely get driven quite a bit.

So far my plan for the engine is this:
-I have a Holset WH1C Turbo (Exact same as HX35) with a 12cm exhaust housing. Im rebuilding it with new seals and bushings for now, but down the road i am going to get a 60mm wheel and housing for it. (Obtained)
-New compressor wheel cuz the old one had a cracked wheel. (Obtained)
-1100cc FIC Injectors, this way i can share tunes with Chris (loxxrider) because i am definitely a noob when it comes to tuning and Chris will be a big help. (Obtained)
-Either an eBay T3 log mani, or 034's new T3 log mani (Obtained)
-Tial 38mm wastegate if i go with the 034 mani (Obtained)
-Tial Original 50mm BOV (Obtained)
-Scat rods (Obtained)
-044 Fuel Pump (Obtained)
-CX Racing 3" core intercooler (Obtained)
-All new stainless exhaust system
-VEMS (Obtained)
-Eventually a Hank (ShavedQuattro) Intake Manifold
-Southbend Clutch (Obtained)

Other "While you're in there" stuff:
-Rings and 034 coated bearings (Obtained)
-New power steering rack and re-enforced rack mounts (Obtained)
-New pump to rack hose (Obtained)
-Subframe bushings (Obtained)
-Radiator and condensor (bent thanks to a nice piece of wood in the middle of the highway...) (Obtained)
-Silicone coolant hoses

Now where the car is today:
It is up and running daily and loving it! Heres a list of everything that has been done so far to the engine (suspension has not changed since the Konis).
-Fully balanced rotating assembly
-Scat rods
-New rings and bearings
-034 Log manifold
-New Holset HX35/40 turbo with the 12^cm housing
-Tial 38mm wastegate
-Tial 50mm BOV
-Custom front mount intercool and piping
-Full 3in exhaust from the turbo back
-1100cc injectors
-VEMS

I still need to install the 044 pump that i have, but it is running fine on the stocker so i am going to wait a bit. The head is still stock, but i am saving for LW lifters, Ti retainers, high rate springs, and a new cam gear. Right now i think i will do wheels and suspension before the head work. So here is a list of what i still want to do:

Head:
-Ti retainers
-Light Weight lifters
-High rate springs
-7A Cams (Obtained)
-Adjustable cam gear
-Port and polish

Suspension:
-DIY coilovers
-Apikol rear swaybar
-Loxxriders new upper strut mounts

Wheels:
Raderwerks M-TEN85 BK or Raderwerks 1-ELEVEN MB
M-TEN85 BK:

1-ELEVEN MB:

Exterior:
-Eventually a re-spray of either black or white
-Possibly Euro bumbers

Interior:
Something like Sparco, Recaro, or Corbeau Seats. Basically anything to lighten up this thing by getting rid of those heavy front seats.

What do you guys think? LOTS of input is appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Pretty good plan you have going there.

I'll outline my thoughts on other parts you'll want/need.

First of all, I'd stick around mid 300's with stock bottom end. I have heard of plenty of people that have around 400 with no problems, but then there are a few that have problems with less than that. I think I'll be stopping at mid 3's until I can throw some rods in.

So now that thats out of the way, VEMS sounds good, 65lb's will get you plenty of fuel...you shouldn't even need anything other than stock fuel pressure regulator to get those to flow the amount of fuel you are looking at for 350whp.

So other than that, you will need:

-exhaust manifold
-oil feed and return lines (I'd recommend race parts solutions for those)
-some misc. oil line fittings from 034 which I can direct you to when the time comes
-new FMIC and intercooler piping
-fab a new downpipe and exhaust
-some kind of wastegate OR run the Holset internally gated and block off the hole in the exhaust manifold
-some stuff to block off the coolant lines to the original turbo
-a new clutch pretty soon after putting the new turbo on (Southbend clutch)

and thats about it

later on I'd throw some rods in and do a mild rebuild while you're in there.

#3 ·
Good to know about the fuel pressure regulator, that should save some money.

Good list! Those are all in the plan, but i have a few questions about the oil lines and cooling lines. What do you mean im going to have to block off the coolant lines to the original turbo? Isnt it just oil cooled?
What about wastegate? Is the internal one good enough to just go with that or should i use the stock external?

Ya, the plan is to get this one built up with this plan and then get another short block and do pretty much a full new rebuild. Use stock crank, and maybe stock pistons, with pauter rods. Then some mild head work. But thats down the road and ill figure that out when the time comes

#4 ·
jcarrick said:
Good to know about the fuel pressure regulator, that should save some money.

Good list! Those are all in the plan, but i have a few questions about the oil lines and cooling lines. What do you mean im going to have to block off the coolant lines to the original turbo? Isnt it just oil cooled?
What about wastegate? Is the internal one good enough to just go with that or should i use the stock external?

Ya, the plan is to get this one built up with this plan and then get another short block and do pretty much a full new rebuild. Use stock crank, and maybe stock pistons, with pauter rods. Then some mild head work. But thats down the road and ill figure that out when the time comes
The stock turbo uses oil and coolant lines. The Holset just uses oil. Sooo you will have to block off the coolant feed line and the coolant return. Easy enough. You can shove a bolt in there and a hose clamp for temporary if you need to.

The internal will be fine on the Holset as long as you aren't trying to run like 7 psi or something.

As for the rest, stock crank is good and stock pistons are too unless you are trying to make more than 600whp at some point. Pauters would be a waste of money in my opinion. I'd go with scats or IE's if it were me. Both have been proven for upwards of 500whp in 1.8ts at least.

Headwork would be useful so you can rev higher than 7500 safely. All it takes is valve springs and maybe retainers (might as well).

#5 ·
Ahh, gotcha. Ya, capping those off with be no problem at all.

Ha, i definitely plan on running A LOT more than 7psi!

Now i know this may sounds like a stupid question, but am I going to control the about of PSI im running with VEMS?

Alright, then ya ill just go with stock pistons. Even when i build the next engine for it ill probably only go up to 450-500. Good point on the Pauters, ill probably just go with some Scats.

#6 ·
You will be controlling boost through VEMS via the stock N75 valve. Its really a great way to do it because you can control it based on throttle position, RPM, and other things. There isn't anything to do either. You just plug it in and you can start playing with it.

#7 ·
Thats awesome!! Are you using it with your stock setup right now?
Does Mark Swanson help you tune it and get everything setup properly?

#8 ·
Yep, I'm using it on stock turbo right now with 5 gm LS2 coils.

I went through Kevin Black, but Marc helped me fix some issues. Kevin gave me the original tune which was quite good, I've done some messing around, and my good friend Tom Sewell does the rest of the tuning in person...and will do the tuning when the Holset goes on.

#9 ·
Very nice! Did you just buy 5 GM LS2 coils and plug them right in? How does that work?

Thats cool. Ill have to figure out what im gonna do when i get mine on. Ive heard that Marc will build a map for you after you email him the information from the pulls?

#10 ·
Marc was the one that set up the coils for me because the 034 coils I was trying to use are IGBT style as opposed to the TTL style of the LS2's. Long story short, the 034 ones aren't compatible with plug and play VEMS units. We couldn't figure out the problem for a LONG time.

Anyway, to get any coils to work you basically just need the correct wiring harness which Marc would supply you with.

Yes, he can probably tune if you send him logs. You'd then get an e-mail back with the correct tune and just throw it in and ride out. The tune I got from Kevin did me well up to 20psi. My buddy said the tune was great even though it was just supposed to be a base tune. Now that I've got cams the tune has to be changed however.

#11 ·
Alright, that makes sense.

What cams are you running? 7A's?

What kind of wheels are those in the pic? Porsches?

#12 ·
Yes, 7A's. Should make some awesome power with them. They are 18x10in porsche wheels yes. You can check it all out in my build thread on this site if you want. EVERY detail of the car's progress so far is in there...52 pages worth lol

#13 ·
Nice. I think im gonna sell my RS2 cam and get a set of 7A's.

Very cool, i will do that for sure. What did they cost you?

#15 ·
Ya, i think they're close. But i saw a dyno pull sheet from 034 and the 7A's were pulling a little more horsepower and torque.

Wait, the wheels were 115$ each???

#16 ·
Oh sorry, I thought you meant the cams haha.

I got the wheels for about that too with tires actually come to think of it! I paid $500 for the set. The guy needed money to finish his VR6 turbo project. Had to get adapters too of course.

#18 ·
Update:
Just ordered engine and tranny mounts, and new front snub mount. Also got a new inlet hose, cuz mine had a huge hole in it!
Should be up and running right again as soon as everything gets here

#20 ·
The motorsport ones, not track density, but they are way better than stock. And i upgraded from the stock snub mount to 034s snub mount

#21 ·
Heres a quick pic of the //S4. I took with my phone in a parking garage, so the pic sucks but you get the idea.

#23 ·
Hey guys,
I got the new motor mounts, trans mounts, snub mount, and bypass valve in today!! Way stoked! Now im just waiting on the turbo inlet hose which i will be picking up saturday.

Im putting the new mounts in tomorrow. Any suggestions on removing and installing the new ones? Especially the turbo side of the engine and the snub mount

#24 ·
So i have a quick question. I have asked a lot of people about this and gotten about the same answer, but it just keeps bothering me so im gonna see what your take on it is.

My S4 has 177,xxx miles on it and i just want to make sure that doing the turbo upgrade, etc. will be fine with this many miles on the engine.

Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.