motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build

Author Message
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:35 am 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 47
Location: NJ
Sorry I have been away from the forum for a while...I promise to keep more up to date with progress from now on...I have tapatalk on my phone so it's easy to check at work now

But to the car...unfortunately I blew the motor on the dyno last year...the motor was stock with only a gasket and head studs...it made 396 whp and 369 wtq before it went...so I have started ordering the parts to rebuild and some goodies have come in...

JE pistons fully coated 9:1

Image

IE brand new rods...really nice

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:39 am 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 47
Location: NJ
Also..I have a precision 6262 ball bearing turbo with a T4 .68 hotside...I plan on revving to about 8k...motor will be a 2.9...and really agressive cams...do you think I should go to the T4 .82 hotside or will I be ok with the .68?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:52 am 
Offline
I post, therefore I am
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:27 pm
Posts: 9667
Location: Jupiter/Gainesville, Fl
I think you should go .82. That .68 is going to choke you in the long run.

_________________
-Chris
'91 200 20vtq BIG turbo/de-stroke/revver project
'01 ///M5
'94 530i (baby V8) daily beater... maybe rear-mount turbo soon ;)

Image


Top
 Profile Facebook 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:24 pm 
Offline
I post, therefore I am
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:19 am
Posts: 7478
Location: sideways into a snowbank, VT
big vr6 + big hotside= big smile!

_________________
Dana

-1990 90q 1.9tdi swap in progress
-4kq efi 10vt<- sold
-99.5 f250 6-speed superdooty diesel
-1990 90q 20vt: 3b swap >sold
-1990 90q 20vt: 11.7 @124.5 >sold
lots of other audis that are long gone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:00 pm 
Offline
I post, therefore I am
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 5558
Location: Chicago
loxxrider wrote:
I think you should go .82. That .68 is going to choke you in the long run.



:stupid:

.82 minimum.

_________________
Mark Siggelkow
'90 CQ-R - NASA GTS-4
'13 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Platinum
'12 TT-RS (Wife's DD)
'00 A4 1.8TQ
'62 356B (vintage racer)


Image


Top
 Profile Facebook 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:11 pm 
Offline
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 pm
Posts: 1000
Location: NY
Yeah, for that power level you will be happy with the .82. Who coated the pistons?

_________________
Dan
1986 4kq Daily/winter beater
1987 4kvr6tq Project / track car
2001.5 S4 Daily driver


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:39 pm 
Offline
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 1166
Location: CT
I have to say the paint and body work are stunning, care to tell whats involved with shaving the trim and/or where you took it?

Thanks,

Jon

_________________
1991 Audi 80q 20vt :project:

Other lame cars


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:11 pm 
Offline
I post, therefore I am
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:37 pm
Posts: 12612
Location: new hampshire
yes .82 atleast, that would seem to be the smallest you could go without feeling choked up top

_________________
BEAST http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=193#p37887
DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=201#p38264
'86 4kq - 3b'd = gone http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=25432


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:21 pm 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 47
Location: NJ
Rocket SLC wrote:
Yeah, for that power level you will be happy with the .82. Who coated the pistons?


I got them from IE...not sure if they are the ones coating them or if it comes from JE like that


JonathanL wrote:
I have to say the paint and body work are stunning, care to tell whats involved with shaving the trim and/or where you took it?

Thanks,

Jon


It was a lot of work...he used a lot of 1 min plastic repair...AMS Autowerks in Linden, NJ


Now here is another question...should I stick with the 6262 or go with something bigger and better...such as a 6765...I am not a big fan of a lot of lag, but I would like to make some good hp...just to keep in mind, I will have horrible low end power because of the cams but it will be amazing up top


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:32 pm 
Offline
I post, therefore I am
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:37 pm
Posts: 12612
Location: new hampshire
what cams are in teh car? 272?

_________________
BEAST http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=193#p37887
DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=201#p38264
'86 4kq - 3b'd = gone http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=25432


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:05 pm 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 47
Location: NJ
Going with either 284 or 288


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:03 pm 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:52 am
Posts: 29
Location: ocala fl
SonaxEvo2 wrote:
Also..I have a precision 6262 ball bearing turbo with a T4 .68 hotside...I plan on revving to about 8k...motor will be a 2.9...and really agressive cams...do you think I should go to the T4 .82 hotside or will I be ok with the .68?



i think i would be good with the T4 .68 man its about the same size as a t3 .82 housing, and that is perfect for a vr, the .82 will work also but little more lag, but i doubt u would notice the 68 choking, try them both and see what kind of power differences u get out of them,

and 288's will do work also, just make sure u got some major head work and check ur valve clearances and make sure u let the lifters bleed down for a little while before u crank it or it wont be pretty


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:54 pm 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 47
Location: NJ
dabeetereater wrote:
SonaxEvo2 wrote:
Also..I have a precision 6262 ball bearing turbo with a T4 .68 hotside...I plan on revving to about 8k...motor will be a 2.9...and really agressive cams...do you think I should go to the T4 .82 hotside or will I be ok with the .68?



i think i would be good with the T4 .68 man its about the same size as a t3 .82 housing, and that is perfect for a vr, the .82 will work also but little more lag, but i doubt u would notice the 68 choking, try them both and see what kind of power differences u get out of them,

and 288's will do work also, just make sure u got some major head work and check ur valve clearances and make sure u let the lifters bleed down for a little while before u crank it or it wont be pretty



Awesome, thanks for the help!!! Just to see what u think...I can sell my 6262 for a good price, it it worth getting the 6765? And what would be a good hotside for that turbo


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:03 pm 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:52 am
Posts: 29
Location: ocala fl
personally i would just get like a holset hx52 but im cheap lol casue u can get them for less than 300 bucks, but id stick with the same hot side on the 67mm and i think u would be good, gonna need to keep it in the efficiency range cause a vr is not gonna flow up top anyways, and i bet it will hit full boost by 4500 ish,


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:13 am 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 47
Location: NJ
Well I have finally got all my engine rebuild parts in and I have sent out the motor to the machine shop...hopefully it won't take to long because I am eager to get this thing on the road again...

Just one quick question...I have searched about the 01e swap but all the results I find are for coupes...anyone know what needs to be done to fit it in a B4...thanks in advance and once I get the motor back I will post up pics


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:32 am 
Offline
I post, therefore I am
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:37 pm
Posts: 12612
Location: new hampshire
i talked to a guy with a hx52 12v vr6

15 psi @4700 , max of 24 psi around 5500

_________________
BEAST http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=193#p37887
DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=201#p38264
'86 4kq - 3b'd = gone http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=25432


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:51 am 
Offline
I post, therefore I am

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:03 pm
Posts: 6607
Location: Provo, UTAH
SonaxEvo2 wrote:
Well I have finally got all my engine rebuild parts in and I have sent out the motor to the machine shop...hopefully it won't take to long because I am eager to get this thing on the road again...

Just one quick question...I have searched about the 01e swap but all the results I find are for coupes...anyone know what needs to be done to fit it in a B4...thanks in advance and once I get the motor back I will post up pics


Basically, theh b4 is the chassis the rs2 is based off of. The subframe is the same as the rs2, so mounts from that car will work on your car. The rear diff is 3.89, so you will either need to find an uber rare over here tdi box, or swap rear ends. The later is easier. The b5 s4 rear diff should fit without any modification, and then you just need to get the driveshaft from the same said vehicle IIRC. There is an guy on audizine that parts out s4s all the time, and I want to say they charge around 250 for the rear diff and 125 for the drive shaft. I'll try and dig up the link to the guy for you.

Good luck!

_________________
Hank
81 URQ 20vt 612whp/527wtq


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:14 am 
Offline
mach 2 with my hair on fire
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 1975
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Isn't the 2.7T gearbox from the A6 Allroad 3.89?

_________________
96 Audi S6 20vt sedan auto, PRJ chipped.
95 Audi 80 converted to Quattro + AEB.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:23 am 
Offline
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:01 pm
Posts: 790
Location: Montauk, NY
nah its even higher than 4.11


buddy has a chipped 2.7tt allroad and 1st gear is almost unusable

_________________
-Ken
1983 Audi Quattro
1995.5 S6 Avant -daily-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:59 am 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 47
Location: NJ
Yeah...I have a 2000 s4 trans, dif, driveshaft, And front and rear axles...I am just not optimistic about the driveshaft and axles working...as far as mounts go, I was just thinking about custom mounting...I figure that finding rs2 parts will be extremely hard

Do you guys think I need to get custom axles made?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:30 am 
Offline
I post, therefore I am

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:03 pm
Posts: 6607
Location: Provo, UTAH
If you have the s4 stuff there, it should be pretty easy. If the axles do not fit up front, then you can do what the b3 and b4 guys do, and just use either rs2 axles, or use 100mm cups from an older 016 transmission with your existing axles. The 01a you have in there now just differs in length, not width. Big power will eventually distroy the inner CV on your current axles, but you could do that as it comes up.

Make sure you grab the linkage from the b5 s4 as well. A simple cut flip and weld makes that go into the b3 and b4 chassis really easily.

Remember, the b4 is the hybrid of the b3 and b5. THe B4 has a b5 rear end with a b3 front end.

_________________
Hank
81 URQ 20vt 612whp/527wtq


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:06 am 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 47
Location: NJ
ShavedQuattro wrote:
If you have the s4 stuff there, it should be pretty easy. If the axles do not fit up front, then you can do what the b3 and b4 guys do, and just use either rs2 axles, or use 100mm cups from an older 016 transmission with your existing axles. The 01a you have in there now just differs in length, not width. Big power will eventually distroy the inner CV on your current axles, but you could do that as it comes up.

Make sure you grab the linkage from the b5 s4 as well. A simple cut flip and weld makes that go into the b3 and b4 chassis really easily.

Remember, the b4 is the hybrid of the b3 and b5. THe B4 has a b5 rear end with a b3 front end.



Awesome...thanks for the detailed write-up


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:32 pm 
Offline
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:05 pm
Posts: 1961
Location: Highland, NY
In my b3 i used all b5s4 stuff and a JHM shifter and I actually needed to to some shifter tunnel clearanceing to get reverse and fifth to both work properly. Just a heads up.

_________________
||-1990 Audi90Q-||-2.0L20v-||-6765 .81 T4-||-LugTronic-||-ID 2kCC's-||-e85-||-32psi-||
||-10.7@136-||-1.76 60FT-||-32psi-||-255/40/17 street tires-||
http://www.youtube.com/user/zerbmedia


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:59 am 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 47
Location: NJ
zerb wrote:
In my b3 i used all b5s4 stuff and a JHM shifter and I actually needed to to some shifter tunnel clearanceing to get reverse and fifth to both work properly. Just a heads up.


When you say you used all b5s4 stuff, what did that include?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:17 am 
Offline
Stuck in first

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am
Posts: 47
Location: NJ
Well the block and crank is back from the machine shop...freshly bored and cleaned up...should be getting the head back soon too....can't wait, super excited!!

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  



Information

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
  |  It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:56 am
Share |