motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

'83 UrQ Restoration

Post subject: '83 UrQ Restoration
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:17 pm 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Figured I'd share the latest purchase :)

This is the UrQ that was on Audifans from PA. I was looking at it with lusting eyes, but realized that I was unable to buy it on my own. To make matters worse, I noticed it for sale RIGHT before I drove up to PA to spend the 4th of July weekend w/ my family. After arriving wed night I sorta chit chatted w/ my folks about it, but commented how it wasn't the greatest use of my money right now.

On thursday, my mom pulls me aside to tell me that I should talk to my dad and brother to see if they're interested. I was floored needless to say! After mentioning it to both my brother and father, they too were floored. Before she could change her mind, we scheduled a time with the owner early friday morning to go look at the car. It is rough, but runs pretty well. Has the typical rot on the fenders, some in the trunk area, and a few other spots on the fenders and doors... but I was hooked, as was my dad. By saturday night, we had done a bit more research, talked to a body shop and came up with a basic idea of costs of repairs, etc. After selling my brother completely on the idea, we decided to buy the car together!

Picked the car up on monday the 7th and drove it back to my parents house :) It will be living there since that's the most central place for the 3 of us, plus there's a 3 car garage to tear it apart in :)

Short term goals: Get the car running 100% and fix some of the bad rot. It was cutting out above 4k rpms when laying on the gas hard. This is from either the WOT switch, Idle switch or Intake Air temp sensor (if anyone has any of these switches PLEASE PM me! I need 'em). Also, at the moment the car won't start. Starter motor isn't turning over unfortunately. Going to check the grounds on the battery (PO had a similar issue apparently) to verify, but I sent my dad my spare starter motor *just* in case.

Long term goals: Ground up restoration. We're going to strip it down to the tub and have it fully restored. Acid dip, epoxy dip, body work, whole 9 yards. While it's apart, we will be doing some updating as well... like a 20vt transplant :) Main goal of the car is to make a fun cruiser that will see some time on the track.

So overall, we're all really excited. I'll try to keep this as updated as I can, but being that I'm 6 hrs from the car, we won't be doing too much anytime soon.

Here are some more pix:

And it came with lots of extras:

-Justin

'96 A4 12v Daily
'85 4000S quattro: Project Car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:28 pm 

Awesome, Congratulations.

Another piece of history saved from certain
doom.

Cheers,

Craig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:32 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Nice save! Should be a fun family project.
I love that color!

'12 TT-RS (Wife's DD)
'00 A4 1.8TQ
'62 356B (vintage racer)

Profile Facebook 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:33 pm 

:stupid: That color does ROCK! :woowoo:

Gotta luv those expensive rare German cars, since no one else will!!!
Adrenaline anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:41 pm 

Looks pretty good. That will make a great base for a full build project car. Have fun!

2001.5 S4 Daily driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:54 pm 
I post, therefore I am

:lol: Allen should be thrilled. I kinda talked him outta buying this car.
Good luck with it though.

90 V8q 5spd mit 3.6 aka the convert
91 V8q 5spd mit 4.2 aka Black Betty
91 200 20vt Avant 22psi

90 200 Avant mit 3.6 V8 *sold/traded*
91 200 20V 22lbs aka the survivor *sold/traded*
90 V8q 3.6 not stock..Urs8 gone but not forgotten :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:14 pm 
I post, therefore I am

Whatever you do, keep it the stock color.

There are a handful of other reasons for the 4k rpm cutout besides the ones you mentioned. Subscribe to urq@audifans if you haven't already, there is a fair amount of UrQ knowlege here, but the real UrQ nuts-and-bolts guys are on aidufans. (yes I know some of you guys lurk here, but you get my point)

Lancia Scorpion
Lancia Beta Coupe'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:44 am 

Ronald G Wainwright+ wrote:
:lol: Allen should be thrilled. I kinda talked him outta buying this car.
Good luck with it though.

did he go look at it? Talked to the PO once we bought it and he said 2 others had come to look at it. Otherwise he had a lot of emails from people who were too far away to get the car. I know the PO got a chuckle when I called him Sat night to see if the car was gone or not :P

Quote:
Whatever you do, keep it the stock color.

I'm going to try my hardest to sell that point home. I love this blue and is probably one of my more favorite. It doesn't have the POP a red one does, but honestly the reds are more 'common' to me. My brother is a fan of red, and my dad is indifferent at this point I think... so we'll see.

Also, as for the cut out... it won't do it at half throttle, only when you pin the throttle. SO if you leave it in gear and just hold half throttle, it'll pull up to red line. Once you go past half, it starts to studder

-Justin

'96 A4 12v Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:20 am 
I post, therefore I am

Bad gas?

01 225hp Audi TT
83 Mars Red Urq 2.5l 20v stroker (dream stage)
06 2.0TQ S-line A4 (wifes)...Swagger Wagon is history
00 VW 1.8T NB (daughters)
97 HD F250 Powerstroke
07 ST1300

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:27 am 
I post, therefore I am

Be sure to get your Mom a trip to the spa or something! You owe her for the next 10 Mother's Days!!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:30 am 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

Cool, let me now if you need any parts. I have various spares. Not the Sensor you need unfort, but when you coe across othe parts you may ned, let me know - - Lots of interior doodads, etc.

98 A6QA DD
93 UrS4 - SOLD
87 4KSCQ X2 - SOLD
97 Jetta GT - Crunch/ Sold
90 V8 - Traded
90 200TQ
87 Jetta GLi - Crunch
04 Passat GLX Wagon - DD
ZUGKRAFT AUTOMOTIVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:36 pm 
I post, therefore I am

4k rpm cutout, just to name a few:

boost spike, bad WG diaphragm causing overboost and the ECU shutting it down (CHECK IT)

dirty / faulty intake air temp sensor (CLEAN IT) connection is VERY important

bad grounds from ECU/chassis and engine/chassis (CLEAN or ADD)

voltage drop at fuse box from insufficient factory wiring (RELAY THE FUEL PUMP)

melted / corroded wiring at ignition switch (REPLACE)

melted / corroded wiring behind fuse box (REPLACE)

Im sure more will pop into my mind, but years of therapy have helped me to forget...

Lancia Scorpion
Lancia Beta Coupe'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:49 pm 
Stuck in first

I wanted this car really bad!
I love that color... please don't change it....
glad it went to someone who will give it the attention it needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:15 pm 

Awesome find man, congrats! As for the color I say go with what you like. Sure I like the blue, but then again I bought a yellow one because it was yellow . . .

If there is any info I can provide on the car feel free to let me know.

Otherwise, the question has to be asked: Where are all of these '83 UrQ projects coming from?!

Again, great find!

peace on it
dj apothecary

books, they hide important information in books . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:16 pm 

Possibly the fact that '83s are 25 years old, so now they can be imported from europe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:19 pm 

Could be true frank, but then again I"ve had mine for 5 years and it seems most others have been stateside as well. it's just odd, 2008 is the year of the '83 UrQ re-build!

peace on it
dj apothecary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:55 pm 
I post, therefore I am

'cuz there are more 1983's in the US than subsequent years.

Lancia Scorpion
Lancia Beta Coupe'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:25 am 

Yes, but that still doesn't answer why all of us '83 owners have started projects this year, let alone all the ones that have started in the last 3 months.

Gotta be something in the water . . .

peace on it
dj apothecary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:37 am 
I post, therefore I am

Maybe they are trying to get to the big URQ25 event in Colorado.

01 225hp Audi TT
83 Mars Red Urq 2.5l 20v stroker (dream stage)
06 2.0TQ S-line A4 (wifes)...Swagger Wagon is history
00 VW 1.8T NB (daughters)
97 HD F250 Powerstroke
07 ST1300

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:45 am 

quattro v1.0 wrote:
4k rpm cutout, just to name a few:

boost spike, bad WG diaphragm causing overboost and the ECU shutting it down (CHECK IT)

Good thing to check. I def hear the turbo spool, but it doesn't take off as if it's pegged. The dash gauge really doesn move much (How is that suppose to work btw???), so not sure if that's the issue. I will have my dad pull the cap and give it a look. Might pick up a cheap boost gauge as well to hook up so we have something to run by.

Quote:
dirty / faulty intake air temp sensor (CLEAN IT) connection is VERY important

I already resoldered the wires as they literally fell off in my hand when I pulled the boot back to check the connections. Might have my dad pull the sensor as well and clean it when he has time

Quote:
bad grounds from ECU/chassis and engine/chassis (CLEAN or ADD)

Will give these a check as well. Where is the ECU ground on this car? 4000s is on the intake manifold on the motor, but not sure how this one is set up.

Quote:
voltage drop at fuse box from insufficient factory wiring (RELAY THE FUEL PUMP)

Dad confirmed last night that the fuel pump is relayed as he pulled up the back seat to check teh battery grounds since the starter motor seems to have $hit the bed.

Quote:
melted / corroded wiring at ignition switch (REPLACE)

should be a relatively new ignition switch according to the previous owner. Seems to work perfectly fine

Quote:
melted / corroded wiring behind fuse box (REPLACE)

I didn't notice anything, but I really wasn't looking when standing on my head under the dash. Will look it over/have my dad look it over and see what the story is.

Quote:
Im sure more will pop into my mind, but years of therapy have helped me to forget...

I have a feeling I'm going to be saying the same thing once this project is said and done... but then again, that's half the fun, right? :P

And thanks for all the congrats guys/gals! Unfortunately this 'ol girl will not be attending the URQ25 as none of us have the time to drive it cross country to show ;) Also, at the moment it won't start, so it probably won't make it very far... haha.

Tireland: I will keep you posted on interior stuff. Off the top of my head I can say that the sunroof crank panel is looking really tired, and also there's a lot of slop in the crank. Roof won't close and stay closed 100% at all times. I can push it down to seal, but it pops up slightly after closing the door.

And as of right now, only parts I need other than those sensors is a CGT pass side window regulator. IF any of you have one, let me know! This one is grinding something aweful!

-Justin

'96 A4 12v Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:11 pm 

Just wanted to do a quick update to this thread. At the end of thanksgiving, we were able to pick up a Coupe GT as a parts donor for the UrQ.

Overall the car was in great shape, but it had more wrong with it than it was worth fixing according to the PO so away it went.

Some random pix of the car getting loaded up and stored:

(my dad loading up the car)

Over christmas, we decided it was time to start tearing into the 'ol girl so it wasn't taking up space in our storage village.

Well once Christmas had come and passed, it was time for us to pick 'ol girl up and get it home for us to start hacking into. I had estimated it would take us ~4 days to get it torn down, packed up and sent off to the scrapper (started friday, gone by tuesday). I should have put $$ on it w/ my dad (who didn't believe me mind you) as I was pretty much spot on! Took a lot of back breaking for the 3 of us, but we got it done!

So on Friday after xmas we went to snag the 'ol girl. We had thought about pulling it back up onto the trailer and towing it home, but since the car didn't run and there is no winch on the trailer, and we really didn't feel like pulling it onto the trailer w/ something else w/ all the ice/snow everywhere, loading it was easiler said than done. So instead... we went the redneck way. 2 pickups and a tow rope :)

Here's the rig. My brother pulled me w/ his ranger as I piloted the coupe. We had about a 3 mile trip back to my folks house, but there were some obstacles. First being, we had to go down a relatively busy road and down/up a relatively steep hill.

Venturing out of the storage village:

My dad following us w/ the plow truck:

Trip down the hill:

As we made the venture down the hill, things got a lil bit hairy at times... or felt that way at least. I basically was braking for both the Coupe and my brother's ranger while going down this hill to keep tension on the rope. AAs we decended the hill, there were times when I would accidentally catch up with him, causing slack in the rope. This was when things got disconcerting, because when the rope went tight again, it would really jerk the coupe and make it wag around a LOT! This was augmented b/c the panhard bar was gone from the rear axle, so it was shifting a few inches each direction depending on where I was turning, and apparently the front wheels were barely held on by 2 lug nuts... lol. oopsy!

But... we made it to the bottom w/o issue:

and after another mile or so of driving, into the driveway we went!

Now came the next hurdle... getting the car in the garage!! Our driveway has a downward grade (away from the garage) to it, which makes pushing a 2900lb car UP it a VERY difficult task... even w/ 3 of us! So... with a redneck in mind... we put the plow to use :)

Should I be submitting this to Jeff Foxworthy for my redneck back yard? :-P

After a little effort and aiming, we were able to push the 'ol girl to her next to final resting place... poor thing doesn't even know what's about to happen to it

Since time was short, we started tearing into the 'ol girl right away. The interior (seats, etc) got pulled and my dad and I started in on the trunk to start freeing up the wiring harness:

and the pile starts to grow:

after about 4ish hrs we called it quits for Friday... leaving the 'ol girl like this:

Yup, that mess of wires is the harness behind the dash. And yes, that is ice you see as well. The guy we got the car from had the driver's window out and did a bad job of taping up the window, so there was about 2" of water in the foot wells, which then turned to ice in the cold weather. Was good for a laugh, but we nearly took out 3 gallons of water once it thawed!!!

Regardless, we labeled EVERYTHING since this harness will be making it's way into the UrQ in the future. Since it might be a year or so, we overly labeled everything to remind ourselves what goes where incase it slips our mind.

On Saturday we started to really tear into the 'ol girl. The motor got pulled and the interior started getting even more taken out of it. We had a lil party Saturday evening, so work was cut short... but we still got a LOT off the car.

Me crawling around the engine bay disconnecting various things... guinea chain and all:

And how things were looking by the end of Saturday:

Yup... the pile kept growing!!!

Interior shot:

As we pulled the car apart, it became more and more evident that the car had been sitting for some time. One of the big hints was that it had a rejection sticker from 1999!! On top of that, I swear there was an entire Maple tree worth of leaves and seeds in this car. Everywhere you turned, there were piles and piles of maple leaves and seeds... some even made it into the skeleton of the hood, which seems physically impossible (holes/openings in the skeleton are only pointed down)!

In addition to the vegitation, this car had hundreds of stink bugs! I mean hundreds! Lil bastards were even fornicating in the doors trying to make more!!

They were quickly squished :) But no matter where you turned, what you moved, or where you looked... nose to tail, this car was FULL of these things. Made my skin crawl everytime I saw one... yick.

As Sunday came about, things were looking to progress even further. The wiring harness was all but out of the car by the end of Saturday, so after disconnecting a few more things, we had success:

Yup, that's a 100% fully labeled uncut harness. I just hope it goes back into the car as cleanly as it came out!! :-P

After keeping my dad out in the garage until 11-1130 Sunday night, this is how the car looked by Sunday evening:

On Monday it was time to start packing up and finishing off the poor CGT.

My brother and I started off laying out the harness so we could attach it to a sheet of plywood to keep it organized and out of the way:

My brother then spent some time coiling the harness and attaching it to the 4x8 piece of plywood. We then hung it up so it's safely stored away until it's needed:

And then it was time for sparks to start flying... beware, this is graffic:

and after a fair bit more cutting, I got both horns off:

It's amazing how quickly a sawzaw can hack through these cars! I took a LOT more material than we really need for the UrQ, but I figured I'd get as much as possible and let the body guy take what he needs when it comes time to start fixing the rusty areas.

Also, some of the rear frame rail was rusting out on the urQ, so out came the trunk floor as well!

I went through about 3 blades (not that bad in the grand scheme of things) cutting through this stuff... but it was a LOT easier than going at it w/ an angle grinder.

By monday night, it was time to get the 'ol girl out of the garage. At this point, I could easily pick up the front of the car w/ the back wheels on the ground... so w/ the car in this state, we basically wheel-barrelled the car onto the trailer... lol. Kind of hard to see in this pic (the reflectors on the side of the trailer really screwed w/ the camera), but you get the idea:

Come Tuesday morning... this is how the 'ol girl looked all loaded up

A bit different from when it first arrived after Thanksgiving!!

in all of it's horror:

And the parts getting laid out:

All the parts to the left of the trailer are what I'm putting up for sale from the car (listed on Audifans for those of you interested ;) ). I was trying to organize what we had and snap pix while it was light out.

At this point... it was time to finish loading up the CGT w/ the remaining parts we didn't need and take it to her final resting place. If you have a weak stomach, this is really gonna make you gag!

We had a local scrapyard about 8 or so miles from home, so my brother and I made the trip out to drop off the CGT on her final ride.

When we got there we weighed in and proceeded to the pile of scrap... where this guy was kind enough to relieve us of our load:

He proceded to slam it into the pile of garbage where this guy then grabbed the 'ol girl and tossed her into the crusher :( It was really a sad sight... similar to the scene in Gone in 60 seconds where elanor was thrown on the scrapper belt.

At this point my brother and I started to hop into the truck to head out. I think the operator noticed we were snapping pix as they took the car off, so he started waving at me and gave me a signal to "wait a minute." It then dawned on me that the crusher was almost done. After another min or so, the lid opened and out popped the poor CGT... all $31.25 worth:

Poor car led a good life, but will now be melted down, and hopefully re-incarnated as a red R8 or the like!

On Tuesday night, we started the cataloging and boxing of all the parts, but I just didn't have the energy to complete everything and time was running out as I was leaving Wed morning to head on my way to my New Years festivities.

But I was able to get the majority of things boxed up:

The boxes from our record storage business proved to be a great asset! Held a good amount of parts, and nice clean surfaces to label so I know what's in what box! I'll probably go dig through the Castrol GTX boxes of parts that came w/ the UrQ and swap them over to these boxes as they're that much nicer to deal with... that and I really need to figure out what kinda goodies we have in those boxes... lol.

And here's a pic of the storage room in our basement where we'll be stocking the parts until they're needed:

These are all the seals we kept from the CGT. Unfortunately the only thing that didn't survive from the car that we needed/wanted was the windshield :( It unfortunately cracked when we were working in the car due to work light that was resting on the glass. It apparently got too hot and the glass cracked because of it. Real waste too as it was an authentic Audi windshield and was in GREAT shape. oh well, life goes on I guess..

But that's about it. Figured I'd share the carnage w/ all of you. It was a $hit ton of work, but it'll be worth it when the time comes to bring the UrQ back to life. My dad was also quite impressed we were able to dismantle the car as efficiently as we did. He's still doing some clean-up, but overall they have use of 2 of the 3 car garage. That means my mom's car isn't parked outside in the cold, which will at least appease her until he can finish cleaning out the 3rd bay this week.

So that's about it! Hope you enjoyed the show.

-Justin

'96 A4 12v Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:32 pm 

Cool update! I was at first wondering why you were scrapping the CGT as it looked decent in the pics but I guess it did have it's share of issues. Really interested to see the re-build of the Ur-Q.

1986 4000CS Quattro
1985 Ur-Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:50 pm 

Nice stuff - really too bad about the windshield - the one NLA part that you can 't replicate....

Keep us posted on the progress on the car.

Brandon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:20 pm 
I post, therefore I am

*cheering*

Congrats on the progress! If you ever find it hard to keep the momentum just let us know, pretty generous support network between here and audifans.

Lancia Scorpion
Lancia Beta Coupe'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:42 pm 

Great job on the teardown, especially labelling the whole harness. That will make things a lot easier once you're ready to put it in the UrQ.

Incandescent work lights are evil!

They're just too hot, and are infamous for starting fires among other ills.

I had one fall on a freshly painted hood once. The only good news was there wasn't a lot left to throw away after I finished taking out my :frustrated: on it

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information