motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

4.2 V8 ABZ conversion of Lotus Esprit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:58 am 
Redline?

Derracuda, its not a problem.

In my case, I don't need to remove the boss that is pressed into the end of the crank like Hilly did. It's the same diameter as the end of the crank, and is the registering diameter. So, the flywheel wll have something to locate it besides the flywheel bolts.

I am actually lucky that pressed in piece is there. If it wasn't, I would hve to have one made, but since its there already, I don't! Edit: Acutally, I think 034 has a version of this peice their own that can be purchased.

However, I won't be using both of the AT washers. I will be using the chunk of steel that will be cut from the center of my adaptor plate (I am buying a pre-ground plate from McMaster Carr) and making my own thicker washer. The pre-ground plate is more accurate in thickness (runout) than the AT washers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:04 am 
I'm compensating for something with this

cheerio then 8)

85' 4kq 20vt~The Sniper 8) *alive*
01' A6 4.2~6spd conversion, Gallardo 19's*sold*
83' 4ks 2dr*DD protege'*
85' diamond 4kq*DD*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:17 am 
Stuck in first

Good service and detail. Thank you so much. :-)

maison de credit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:16 pm 
Stuck in first

hilly wrote:
The problem with the electric pump is that it can only go in the radiator feed/return pipe which is closed off when the engine is cold by the thermostat.
This would mean that the interior heater won't get any benefit until the stat opens so I'll still need the small pump for the heater.

Hence I want to find a solution which avoids the electric pump.

Hilly

This is probably waay too late to be usefull to you, but I'll comment anyway. I put a Craig Daveis EWP into a clubman I built because I couldn't get the thermostat working correctly (engine temp went cold on the open road/highway). The solution in the end was to use the EWP, hollow out the original toyota thermostat and use an external 3-way thermostat from a land rover ( I've heard of a BMW one as well). A T-piece in the top radiator hose allowed coolant to bypass the radiator to the thermostat unless it was warm enough when it would change the flow to use the cooler radiator feed. I didn't bother with a controller either, just run the pump at full voltage all the time, which would keep the flow going at idle for your heater too.

Awesome conversion, certainly gets me thinking about what other engine sources could work here too.

Cheers,
Damian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:47 pm 
Stuck in first

Hilly,
I know you won't do an Esprit again but knowing what you know now, what engine should I put in my s1?

And one of the most beautiful, to my eyes, tres posti automobiles is the pininfarina 365 P
Make one of these next please.
Nicely done Hilly
cheers
don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:13 pm 
Stuck in first

hilly wrote:
spink wrote:
spink wrote:
Hilly,are you taking the esprit along to any car shows/track days this year?

Would love to see it at the Audi driver day in October at castle coombe,im sure they would let you go out on track in that.If not they want shooting!! :P

:?

I will be at a few Lotus based event this year.

I may well go to the Audi day if I can find the time.

Hilly

Hey, i would tell you my biggest respect for this kind of work at the lotus. You have done a great car and have a lot of work for rebuild this car with an audi V8 engine. I have only sign in here between i would tell you this. I spend a lot of time in our german Audi side´s.

www.AudiV8.com
www.S6plus.com

and some others. It´s a little bit difficult to follow all threads an mails here but i like it.

I rebuild one ( got 2 6 gear) of my old Audi V8 D11 4,2l with 6 gear manuel gearbox and fit in an Audi S6 + Q1 AHK engine with 326 hp, it´s like the same the S8 32V AKH 340 hp enigine but with some little technical changing. My engine have some other parts inside and i have done everything to get more hp. May by i think it runs to the reel 350 hp now. My allday´s car an S6 + Avant runs now the 330.000 km and show no signs of loosnes power. Runs all day very great, in german we can drive the max speed legal. Only the goody to live in germany.......

Many thanks for this great Lotus project and i hope the english diva with german heart will run till the world fuel is empty.

Sorry for my bad english, i don´t speak in germany so much of it. Even on holiday in uk. This year i will go to York for visiting a very good friend.

Greetings from germany.

Attachments:
File comment: My black devil all day car
Bild 942.jpg
Bild 942.jpg [ 113.88 KiB | Viewed 2904 times ]
File comment: a little bit strange but in reel very nice
Bild 948.jpg
Bild 948.jpg [ 337.52 KiB | Viewed 2919 times ]
File comment: my old v8 with the Q1 engine
audi v8 4.2 classic line.jpg
audi v8 4.2 classic line.jpg [ 5.39 KiB | Viewed 9380 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:11 am 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Blimey!!!!!!
Over 300K hits now on this thread, never thought it would go above double figures :)

I guess I need to give a bit of an update as it has been so long since I posted anything.

Well the short answer I have done stuff all on the Mutant, I get in it, it starts and then I drive it :)
Nothing has fell off and it hasn't broken down yet, hmmmm, probably jinxed it now.

However, I have been busy with support duties for other people who have been putting Audi V8s into all manner of projects (2 more Esprits, couple of MR2s, A4, VW, Caravelle), so time well spent there.....

I do have a few jobs on the list to do though :-
I have been messing about with the software for the LCD alphanumeric display, so it is about time I fitted that into the dash board.

I also plan to pull the engine in the next few weeks to modify the drive train mounts to move the engine back a little to reduce the angle angle of the drive shafts.
The CV joints are fine, but the boots have slipped off a couple of times when travelling at speed and cleaning up the resulting CV grease which gets spread EVERYWHERE is not fun :(

Other then that, happy days :)

Hilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:30 am 
I post, therefore I am

hilly wrote:
Blimey!!!!!!
I get in it, it starts and then I drive it :)

Hilly

I'd love to see the V8 Mr2... is it a MK1?

1992 Blue Eurovan "5+5" "DasFeld"
1992 Forest Green Cabriolet Project Gone
1988 Red MR2 Supercharged
Future? 1986 AE86 Coupe 1985 GTI
Wife's Ride 2002 Saab 9-5 "Baab the Saab"
Parting 1993 90q 1996 A6Q Avant Gone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:19 am 

WAUG0806 wrote:
hilly wrote:
Blimey!!!!!!
I get in it, it starts and then I drive it :)

Hilly

I'd love to see the V8 Mr2... is it a MK1?

One of each

I don't have a lot of details, but here are some pictures (hope the owners don't mind me putting them up here)

Hilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:28 am 
I post, therefore I am

Good to hear Hilly!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:53 am 
I post, therefore I am

Nice! So a Caravelle has a V8 in it now? Pictures!! What year is it (guessing it's a rear engine/RWD variant)?

'98 A4tq
'90 CQ

Post subject: lotus/audi v8
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:11 am 
Stuck in first

Hilly, on behalf of ian, many thanks for your assistance in creating another v8 esprit.

Attachments:
DSC0519911.JPG
DSC0519911.JPG [ 56.48 KiB | Viewed 2994 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:51 am 
I post, therefore I am

Nice!!!

'98 A4tq
'90 CQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:04 pm 
kickin' tires'n lightin fires

niiiiiiiice
I nearly forgot about this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:41 pm 
Redline?

Hi Hilly,

To answer WAUG0806's earlier question

Mk1 = Mark 1 also known as Generation 1
Mk2 = Mark 2 also known as Generation 2

There are 3 generations of MR2. We refer to them as Mk1, mk2 and so on. Within each generation, there are several Revisions. FOr example, MR2 mk2, Rev3. Actually, the UK MR2 guys use the Rev. terms far more than USA MR2 guys, who just refer to the year.

I beleive the SUpra guys do this as well, but they have mk 1 through 4 or 4 generations to refer to, and I don't know the revisions within each generation.
I used to have a mk3 supra turbo, aka a 1990 Supra Turbo with the 7M-GTE engine, and revised tail lights.

Project MV8R:
V8 into a 1991/1993 Toyota MR2
http://www.mv8r.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:41 pm 
Stuck in first

Beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 pm 
Chirping second

hilly wrote:
altz1 wrote:
where is your redline sited at? I mean with 7000rpm you could theoretically hit ca 225 mph :D
only thing that keeps you back is the lack of power 8)

Yeap, 7K rpm :)

The 7K rpm are with stock valvetrain (valve springs, lifters,etc.)?
Do you know if you engine heads have the valves with 7mm or 6mm stems?

My ABZ engine has the valves with 6mm stems and 33.5 mm lifters and I can't find Dual valve springs or hi rate for this setup, only for the 7mm valve stem and 35 mm lifters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:07 pm 

to whomever said 1webpage doesn't = 17 word pages... you are correct. I did a simple copy paste to word from this page and it was 18 pages. So while the reference to 1 web page not equal to 17 probably is true... it's about the same as saying one webpage doesn't = 20000 word pages. In any event, who cares. What was interesting was the preservation of format in copy and pasting. Bascially totally preserved... too bad one can't request to output to PDF from here and get all pages to date at once. Would be useful if one wanted to easily archive a thread. Probably an app out there that will do this.

So, 300 pages as indicated sounds about right... anything less means a whole lot of editing took place creating the word file.

end of non-audi content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:58 pm 
Chirping second

Love this build and have been following it for a long time now. I just came back to this thread and watched the vids... love the car, and the sound of the engine is just awesome.

I was looking into doing an LS1 swap into my Boxster, but that engine is 27" long. The Boxster H6 is just a tad under 20" long, so I have been looking for a very short V8 instead of the LS1. Based on your measurements, it looks like the Audi 4.2 is less than 20" long, so that's great. The Porsche boxer-6 is very wide, so I'm sure the engine bay is also wide enough to fit the Audi V8. So the only question then, is if the Audi 4.2 is too tall for the bay (the H6 is not very tall). I'd like to use the stock 6-speed with the Audi V8 and not have to move suspension bits around too much. So that means that the crank needs to stay at roughly the same height.

Using your measurements and one of the pics you took that shows the crank pulley, I have estimated that the distance from the center of the crank to the top of the intake manifold is around 16.4" (416 mm). I am assuming that I can somehow relocate the IAC to make the overall height of the engine smaller because it looks like that sticks up 2" higher than the top of the manifold.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone who is familiar with the 4.2L could check my measurements. Specifically, could someone confirm that the height from the bottom of the sump to the crank is 7.2" and that the height from the crank to the top of the intake manifold (excluding the IAC) is 16.4"?

Any measurements are greatly appreciated! Btw, I'm planning to go with the engine from the USDM Audi S8 (D2, I think?) if I can make sure it fits. If it's too tall, I'm not sure what to do with the convertible top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:17 pm 
I post, therefore I am

I could have grabbed measurements off a 3.6L earlier today. Should be very close to the 4.2L, assuming you are talking a 32v S8 with 340hp.

'98 A4tq
'90 CQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:23 pm 
Chirping second

I think it's a 40v 4.2L in the S6 or S8 (year models from 2001 for S8 and I think maybe 2003 for S6). I actually don't know enough about Audis to guesstimate whether or not the V6s are going to be similar in height to the V8s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:33 pm 
I post, therefore I am

The 3.6L is the super early 32v V8. 1989-1991 model years. I'm putting one in my CQ, it's hanging from the hook right now, so the flywheel end of the engine is unobstructed. The 40v should still be similar in dimension from the sump to the crank center, but above that it's different. Also possibly wider than the 32v engines.

'98 A4tq
'90 CQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:59 pm 
Stuck in first

Hello Hilly

I have been right through your esprit conversion and i have very much admired your approach to the job very professional indeed.

I am working on a mid engined project myself which involves a BMW v12 bolted to an Audi 5 speed box

The headache i have and you may be able to help is what clutch to use

not being that knowledgabel on Audis there seems to be many variants

I am after a clutch that is 240mm diameter that is NOT for dual mass flywheel ( like your v8 ) and able to handle similar power

I will be making my own flywheel and adptor plate

Could you teel me what combination you used and where i can get onefrom

The Advice would be much appreciated

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:41 am 
Stuck in first

Really cool project. I am looking forward to see the progress of your project. Keep it up and keep updating with your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:01 am 
I post, therefore I am

Williamnaylor wrote:
I am after a clutch that is 240mm diameter that is NOT for dual mass flywheel ( like your v8 ) and able to handle similar power

Will...Something from a '88-92 80/90 series will have support for a 240mm clutch and single-mass FW. Anything with the 20v had a 240...

What 2WD transmission are you using? From memory, there are 2-3 different input shafts depending on year/transmission family.

'98 A4tq
'90 CQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information