Automobiles Forum banner

Beater CQ project

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  cuatrokoop 
#1 ·
I just picked up a Coupe Quattro with an AAN swap. Serial number ends in 197, door card shows a build date of 09/88? Seems strangely early but it definitely says '88. Some things on the swap are done reasonably well, and it runs good, but some stuff is TERRIBLE. RS2 knockoff bumper mounted with 2 (!) zipties, for example...Anyway, it needs a bunch of stuff, not the least of which is bodywork, but as I will be using it as a winter car and occasional rallycross steed I am not too worried about it at the moment. I have some questions for the CQ savvy folks on here. The driver's seat is shredded, although heat and power functions seem to work on it. What are my options for swapping in other VAG seats? I have heard that A3 VW seats use the same rails. Can anyone confirm? Also, are B3 sedan fenders and bumper the same as the CQ? Trying to figure out where I will be sourcing parts for this thing. First up will be replacing the trashed clutch and the straight pipe exhaust. Bit by bit, right?

#3 ·
what color? I have seen a couple coupes around lately. The fenders are the same as a b4 90, the hood the same as a b3 90.

#5 ·
B4 fenders have a different bottom profile aft of the wheel arch. Does not match up well witht he coupe doors. If you are using it for RallyX I'd suggest not to spend much money body panel wise and grab stuff on the cheap just incase of wreckage.

#6 ·
Hmm. By Cabrio you mean the mid 90s V6 B4 convertible, correct? Are the bumpers and seats from those cars the same as well? I would swap any B3 or B4 seat into it but I want to retain the tilt-forward feature. I need for the kids to be able to climb in and out of the back seat. I had forgotten about the existence of the Cabrios, but thinking about it, when I do see one for sale it is usually really cheap.
Dana, the car is Lago with black interior and odd striped velour inserts in the door panels and rear seat cards.

#7 ·
Yes - cabrios are the same bumpers - front and rear. Same fenders too.
Seats are the same and have the tilt feature but are not automatic. I feel like swapping seat bases wouldn't be too tough but I'm speculating

#8 ·
Another Q for the CQ folks: For those of you on coilovers, what are you running for springs in a street application? Spring rate and free length? I don't know what is on this thing right now but it came with a pair of 225s and a pair of 250s new in box. Those both seem pretty light, at least for the front. Also the car sits quiet low right now but the coilovers are at almost maximum height. I live out in the country and some of our roads are pretty shitty so I would like a setup that has adequate ground clearance, travel and compliance. Occasional rallycross duty is likely as well. Recommendations?

#11 ·
It appears to have Koni adjustables in it already, so it seems logical to just go to a different length/rate spring as necessary. I like the idea of KWs but $ and I need to get higher, not lower. Snow car!

#13 ·
Interesting. Why lighter springs in front? I would have thought that a stiffer spring would be needed in front because of the significant forward weight bias. Anyone else know their spring rates, or what the stock spring rates are?

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it!

#14 ·
Elwood said:
Interesting. Why lighter springs in front? I would have thought that a stiffer spring would be needed in front because of the significant forward weight bias. Anyone else know their spring rates, or what the stock spring rates are?

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it!
Under acceleration, cars squat in the rear, so the higher spring rate in the rear, cuts down on weight transfer.

Greg W.

#15 ·
You need the front to stick and the rear to be able to slide. The lighter springs up front with heavier in the rear help that, as Greg said, via weight transfer. If the nose goes light, you push. You can help balance out the nose heavy push of these cars by playing with spring rates and ARB's. If you need more ride compliance but still want to cancel out the push, use ARB's with lighter spring rates.

#16 ·
Does anybody know the stock spring rate for the CQ?

#17 ·
In the 100's, but progressive if I remember correctly. Like k=130-ish lb/in. Progressive rate springs change the k-value as the spring compresses (amount of force to compress the spring decreases as the spring compresses), whereas a constant rate spring k-value never changes, so the amount of force increases to compress the spring. Another way to look at it, is a constant rate spring compresses less for a given force than a progressive (variable) rate spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.