Automobiles Forum banner

Audi UR Quattro Rally Build

97K views 246 replies 30 participants last post by  team illuminata 
#1 ·

As our 85 UR quattro is getting to the point of being on the road again I'd like to introduce our latest project which we plan to start almost immediately. A 1983 UR qauttro, currently in such a sorry state that it's only viable future is as a RALLY CAR!

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv367---nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=97;h-gf80dh43-7-hh0c7-3-f445738cid3fot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv359;7-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=;4f;38i409864-79de0-4ci--5-c7;h3-9efot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv3-87;-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=ih8hf3d40g5h8-7e730d6;g-d9idecg8dh8got1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv395-8-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=33f564gh0h-98-7;i80-425-6;95f99746--ot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv36;86-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=g4e-i48d0cege-7;6-0c;28-g8i4-387g;f4ot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

The shell is pretty solid and the car "ran when parked". We will be rebuilding the engine and transmission and it does have this hole in the rocker panel.

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv3;454-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=82g4gh9e054ch-768-0d78e-3e4dgehdg-44ot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

We picked up the car about a year ago quite locally as it happens. The previous owner had driven it for about five years then decided to put a cage in it and use it as a more dedicated track toy. He stripped a lot of the interior out, bought some go fast bits, put a rudimentary cage in it and then got distracted for about twelve years. That's when we cam along and "saved" it.

It came to us in the stripped out condition you see but with some interesting bits; some attached, some not.

Koni based custom coil overs:

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv3-763-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=e2i-;c9707ed6-74;20-e73-6c5he3i3i9-9ot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Rally rear spolier.

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv38852-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=767;-h3-039f5-7g390c;23-4e-9i4efdgd9ot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Fiberglass front fenders

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv3;--3-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=98;f57-h097;6-7-i40-586--gfd59i6dc5got1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

NOS kit!

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv38;56-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=-gd3eff307i89-7di;0d4f5-3588-fee4fi-ot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Audio

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv3-;79-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=i9i8-4hd06e47-77520cgdi-3f764c-fdh-8ot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Refurbished brake calipers with new discs

24434593049_6dfc892688_o by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Fiberglass S1 (short wheel base) hood

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv368;;-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=dd3d;c8c0g4;;-7e4-0;-94-3e486c5d4938ot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

and all the parts that came off it in a trailer!

232323232-fp93232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv38796-nu=3356-36---;2-WSNRCG=673;h46-0;-6f-75i90d57d-5;d5-9g8-5;9ot1lsi by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

So the plan is to strip the shell, fix the rust, install a cage, install a Group B body kit, and rebuild it as a Rothmans tribute to match our Porsche 911 Carrera RX and Mercedes RALIVAN. Stay tuned.

user3076_pic6590_1332236093 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

See less See more
#27 ·
With the cage complete the shell is now in storage up north awaiting the wide body kit so we thought "what should we do next?" We'll, we ordered a carbon/kevlar wide body kit of course: Should arrive from Europe in 6-8 weeks.

IMAG1715 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMAG1720 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

a2_01 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

a2_02 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Of course we do have lots of parts to refurbish so we started to look at those and figure out how to go about things. First we pulled out our collection of Hella 2000 lights.

image by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

we have about 10 lights in various conditions, beams finishes and levels of completeness and we need 6 pristine black ones, preferabley two spots, two driving and two fogs. Then we'll need some brackets to mount them. Like these ideally:

226643_196363173742528_3059537_n by Tim Maskus, on Flickr

We also pulled out the brake parts we got with the project: Refurbished G60 twin piston calipers. ATE brake discs and refurbished stock rear calipers. We also got new rear rubber lines and front stainless lines. We still need to source front caliper brackets and probably some better pads. There's also a theory that our brake discs might be a little big for the G60 calipers. Once we figure it all out we'll send them off for plating or powder coating.

Still trying to inventory all the left over parts for USE, SELL or SAPRES:

Stay tuned

transformation

#28 ·
Does the UrQ use a different carrier for the G60's then what would be found on the 5k/200 or even the CQ/B4?

#30 ·
team illuminata said:
DE80q said:
Does the UrQ use a different carrier for the G60's then what would be found on the 5k/200 or even the CQ/B4?
I don't know but I don't think so. Do you have some?
Yep, I have a spare pair. The calipers in with them were from a large chassis, so I swapped out for the correctly oriented small chassis calipers. I do know that the carriers are the same though.

The reason I asked about the possibility of them being different, is because IIRC, the 4kq used a different bolt bolt spacing on its calipers than the typ44 or typ89.

#32 ·
Yes, if you can get me a center line measurment of the 2 bolts that hold the carrier to the knuckle, I can check the G60 carriers for you.

#37 ·
DE80q said:
team illuminata said:
DE80q said:
I don't know but I don't think so. Do you have some?
Yep, I have a spare pair. The calipers in with them were from a large chassis, so I swapped out for the correctly oriented small chassis calipers. I do know that the carriers are the same though.

The reason I asked about the possibility of them being different, is because IIRC, the 4kq used a different bolt bolt spacing on its calipers than the typ44 or typ89.
Our bolt spacing seems to be 95mm. Does this match yours? We actually borrowed one off a friend to test fit last night:

#38 ·
This week at Quattro Squad we started to get our head around the refurbishment projects and alocated some to a couple of the students. Matt took on the struts and brake calipers. The struts are almost complete as the previous owner installed new bearings and Koni dampers, had them powder coated and sourced a coilover kit. More on that later. He also provided varoius remanufactured brake calipers as noted earlier. We are missing caliper calipers for the front twin piston calipers so our friend Werner lent us a set he has in his parts stash to test fit. Now we know what we need and that our pads and dicss will all work together.

Unfortunately it seems our remanufactured rear calipers are not correct as the handbrake cable and brake line connection will both interfere with the axle. We think they are off a 4000 or similar but fortunately remanufacturd Quattro calipers seem to be still available.

Josh started pulling the various OE parts we need to retain some sort of ventilation and heating system in the car. Apparantyl we need the patr of the dash pad adjacent to the windscreen and the heater box to do this. We spent a good 2 hours of time trying to figure out what part was missing that would connect the defrost air outlet in the heater to the defrost air inlet in the bottom of the dash pad.

We couldn't find anything in any parts diagrams nor a stray bit of plastic in our parts bins that seemd to do the job. We were stumped until we stumbled upon this picture from earlier in the build:

image1trf by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

in it you can clearly see that the dash pad mates to the hole in the body work and the heater box mounts below. e couldn't find a missing piece because we weren't missing a piece. DOH!

and then today our seats arrived form Corbeau USA. FIA carbon/kevlar SPRINT model in regular and wide sizes.

Transformation by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

#39 ·
Recent Quattro Squad gatherings have looked more like meetings of the Mono Squad what with exams and scheduling conflicts. Still, we have made some progress.

We got the bushings pressed out of the front subframe. We had to burn them first as the bolts were seized in place. Fortunately the front subframe was prepped and powder coated by the previous owner and already has solid bushings.

Our aircraft grade top mount bearings arrived too and with the help of the Epicenter Design adapter pieces we managed to assemble a strut.

and we received a picture of our completed grill from Cool Wheels this week so that's quite exciting.

Next time we update we hope to have four fully assembled struts complete with brakes and maybe a resealed diff!

#42 ·
The coilovers look to be the DIY version, and the top mounts look to be from CompBrake. Should be a nice setup. Any idea what the spring rates are?

#43 ·
DE80q said:
The coilovers look to be the DIY version, and the top mounts look to be from CompBrake. Should be a nice setup. Any idea what the spring rates are?
The look a bit like these from CompBrake don't they.

but a little different. Springs say "600" and "650". We are thinking the 650 go on the front.

#44 ·
On the spring rates, I know at least in my 4000Q and coupe quattro, I was running the higher spring rates in the rear. I was told this helps with understeer and it did seem to balance things out a bit. I was running 340F/400R and that was a pretty aggressive street ride.
Possible I could have been wrong about that but that was the way it came packaged and specified from 2bennett.

What are you gonna do with the quarter panels ? Are you gonna cut them off to do the widebody?:)

#45 ·
Afterthought said:
On the spring rates, I know at least in my 4000Q and coupe quattro, I was running the higher spring rates in the rear. I was told this helps with understeer and it did seem to balance things out a bit. I was running 340F/400R and that was a pretty aggressive street ride.
Possible I could have been wrong about that but that was the way it came packaged and specified from 2bennett.

What are you gonna do with the quarter panels ? Are you gonna cut them off to do the widebody?:)
I think I have heard that theory about running the stiffer springs in the rear and it would certainly promote oversteer vs understeer. Just seems counter intuitive considering how front heavy these cars are. Anyone else have any experience here?

quarter panels will be removed and salvaged. Hopefully someone can use them.

#46 ·
The 83 quattro squad rally build keeps inching forward. A few days ago we received these beautiful G60 brake caliper brackets from a very generous chap on the Motorgeek forum. Thanks Dave, they will be put to good use.

We offered them up to our struts and calipers and they fit perfectly.

Only question now is how to finish these and the calipers for best effect. Options are:

1. Red powder coat
2. Black powder coat
3. Yellow dichromate like OE (gold)

Feel free to weigh in.

Here's an interesting aspect to the project. We found this 1:18 die-cast model on eBay. Quite cheap; probably because it is quite plain.

We thought it would be a good idea to refinish it in the same livery we are planning to finish the car in. That is, our version of Rothmans with BRAID and TIM logos.

So first we had to strip it:

We are not sure how to proceed from here however. Damn, another bloody Quattro project! Stay tuned.

#47 ·
Glad I could help on this one! This will be an amazing car when it's done. As for color, I would go with black.

#48 ·
Afterthought said:
The upper strut mounts, where did you get those? And the coilover brand? or did you piece that set-up together from A-1 or similar?
That grill is going to look awesome.
They look like "Mance", not sure if he is still producing parts. Very nice parts.

#50 ·
With the caliper brackets fitting well we took the opportunity to muck up a front strut before sending the calipers off to be refinished. We are still not sure what color to refinish them. Options include black or red powder coating or gold zinc dichromate like they were from the factory.

We started in on the model's livery. Tried some blue vinyl but we are not sure it is really suited to cars this small as it won't mold into the crevices well.

We did one side with the factory droop to the front bumper, which we have never liked, and the other with a full straight line to the back of the headlight. Which do you prefer?

We then added some BRAID decals

Our BRAID wheels came in from Europe. We love 'em.

They are three piece with hidden screws and reminiscent of the factory Speedlines. Specs are 16x9, et12. We could resist throwing one on our 85 but, of course, they are way too wide for this car.

As part of our quest to prep as many parts that are going to need refinishing as possible we pressed out the bushings from the lower control arms.

and disassembled some Hella 2000 lights as we have some chrome ones that need to be black.

This is the pile so far. The parts in front still need disassembling.

Quattro Squad