motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Brendan's 1983 Audi quattro Project Thread

Post subject: Re: Brendan's 1983 Audi quattro Project Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:07 pm 
Stuck in first

Small update to share with some neat bling.

I am still going through alot of the clerical (and monetarily painful) work of getting things ordered and paid for. The upholsterer though is pretty close to complete on the seats and sent me a work in progress of the recaros. In my opinion, he nailed what I was after;

Also got my Mk.2 Trophy bases in the mail to mount these to (No pictures, they are not very interesting). I need to figure out if I need to go looking for some door cards to do white leather on to match, Mr. Driggs brought it up on my facebook feed and the idea has been on my mind before and since to get white cards like the red ones on my coupe. I will be matching the rear seat for sure, but was originally going to stick it out with the UrQ door cards because they are the only Coupe cards I have, and I don't want to butcher nice UrQ cards for my silly restomod.

I will be having a late dash, glovebox, driver's side column cover and bin, and the recaro base plastics dyed mocha by one of those mobile interior refinisher guys to maintain the brown interior the car came with and not have some black some brown. Top it off with one of the Audi Sport nardi's with the white works logo in the center spoke and thats the extent of my interior work (aside from steam clean the carpets, etc).

I am curious, to those who have converted early dash to late; can you use the early center stack with the late dash (the plastic surround that the radio, and HVAC live in). I'd like to keep this because it has matching carpet and will make life that much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:55 am 
Stuck in first

The turbo came :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:09 am 
I post, therefore I am

beautiful!

'95 S6 Avant '04 A4 Avant '95 90 quattro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:21 am 
Stuck in first

Well,

I am past the point of no return now. Finally got to stepping and started stripping the front end of the car. Next day I get to work with it, the WX will be on the ground.

Got to the point where I have drained the power steering system, removed the bomb, drained coolant, removed rad assembly and aux rad, disconnected coolant hoses and vacuum lines from the motor, removed the CIS and airbox on the passenger side, as well as the mess of Vacuum and coolant lines at the back of the engine bay. Removed the air temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, warm up regulator, tach cable, throttle cable, and a few other misc plugs. I think the engine is effectively unencumbered from up top. Disconnected the exhaust at the test pipe down below, and at that point ran out of daylight and had to call it an evening.

Feels really good to dig in! Made an unholy mess (could the bomb contain any more fluid than it does? That was an unbelievable amount of ATF). Its nice to know the majority of this stuff isn't going back on the car, after 250,000 miles alot of it is worse for the wear.

Also finally got to find out just how bad the rust monster under my passenger fender was; not too bad, but definitely rotting. I love Colorado's climate though, the nastiness was there when I bought the car a bit less than 5 years ago, and this is as far as it has advanced in that amount of time. I am trying to decide if it is worth tracking down a piece of CGT or 4kq inner fender to get welded in, or just have the body shop weld on flat plate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Contact Brian Tonks via Facebook or S2Forum. I believe he makes replica parts for all your rusty UrQuattro needs.

1996 Cabriolet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 am 
Stuck in first

Thanks for the tip! Had been meaning to reach out to Brian and never did, this seems like as good a reason as any!

Also the engine fell out. I am simultaneously excited and panicking.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:02 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Looking forward to updates!
Any sort of timeline for the project?

Current:
1983 Ur Quattro, White/Mocha. http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78665
1985 & 1986 4000 http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=142634

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:12 pm 
Redline?

I can't help but feel partly responsible for the shenannigans happening in this thread!

Its gonna be awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:51 pm 
Stuck in first

My seats came in on Friday and it was a bit of a bummer;

The first box looked good!

The second box did not :/. The seats had punched the backrest brackets through the box, and mangled the mount link for the drivers side seat.

Luckily the side that bent badly was removeable. I got after it with my associates msrs. Vice and BFH.

And was able to get things straight enough to assemble properly!

I have them some heavy duty cleaning and soaked them with conditioner as they will wait for the car to be ready to receive them. My drug of choice is malco...

And here we are!

I was able to connect my jumper battery to them and test the power functions. Tilt and lumbar work well, I couldnt tell if the heaters were working but was wearing a few layers and not sure if they could draw the proper amperage off the jumper battery to warm up. Further testing is needed.

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information