Automobiles Forum banner

Casey's V8 5spd:Cort's, no, Casey's, no, Cort's, no Keith's!

63K views 293 replies 37 participants last post by  Mbsjr92 
#1 ·
I sold the Mini and upgraded to a 19 year old Audi! At least it's low mileage with only 134k :p

1991 original 5spd purchased from my friend Cort in Burlington, VT. It's in pretty good shape, but does need a starter, power steering pump, and the center u-joint/carrier bearing to be serviced. Those will come with time. It also needs similar blacking of the ecodes as on my 200.

Best part? The stebro exhaust :D turns lots of heads which then results in confused looks from onlookers as they see an Audi that looks nothing like an A4 drive by. I have had one gentleman who knew what it was come up and talk to me about it and then he started talking about an old 100 he had and how he misses that car and hates the passat 4-motion he picked up.

Other than that, it does shift 1-2 and 3-2 kind of hard... I hope but kind of doubt new fluid will solve the problem but who knows.

On to the pics! Now I have matching pearl money pits. Ooops.

See less See more
#252 ·
Of course, I have everything fine and leak free for a few days and now one pops up. Smelled some oil burning, checked under the car and can see it leaking on the manifold as well as oil on the ground. Leads me to believe the rear main needs replacement, fan fkn tastic! Everything else seems to be dry, not sure where else it would be leaking from at back of block. Plan to tackle said leak sooner than later, though I'm sure I could get away without for a bit and just drive the car and enjoy it, but it's going to bother me, so that's doubtful.

Stay tuned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#253 ·
Check both distributors and the seemingly irrelevant "cam inspection plate" that's just below the passenger distributor...all common rear leak spots. Also Audi issued a TSB at some point changing the oil level from 10 to 8 quarts, but never reissued a dipstick, so you should be running at the bottom of dipstick, otherwise will have excessive consumption/leakage, especially out of the potentially rotted out rear breather on drivers head.

#254 ·
Oh, and if it is indeed coming out of rear main....be thankful its not a 450lb autobox....Ha

#255 ·
toml99 said:
Check both distributors and the seemingly irrelevant "cam inspection plate" that's just below the passenger distributor...all common rear leak spots. Also Audi issued a TSB at some point changing the oil level from 10 to 8 quarts, but never reissued a dipstick, so you should be running at the bottom of dipstick, otherwise will have excessive consumption/leakage, especially out of the potentially rotted out rear breather on drivers head.
Tom, thank you.

I had let the level go down and it seems to have solved the issue , or brought it to a very minor issue now. I can't believe it. We'll see how long it lasts, for one thing , the driveway ( or what's left it if) is going to be happy to have no leaks on it.

Aside from that, everything is solid. Going to look into getting the holes in the doors solved. Slowly as it gets warmer I'll revive all the trim outside again as well as the rockers. Locate myself some nice summer tires and perhaps wheels and get her ready for the show season

#256 ·
Well it happened today. Spirited driving on this spring like day of course came to an abrupt hault when I heard a big pssssh followed by that sweet smell and then my feet becoming soaked with coolant. I have been dreading doing the heater core but I have no choice now. I'll need to hit the package store to get me through this one . Wish me luck

#258 ·
Aaaaaarrrrrrggggg. Bummer. I parked the 5-speed quite awhile ago when I noticed some small blue drips on the drivers carpet. Since I also need to do the rack/driveshaft support bearing and entire suspension, was waiting for the time/energy to pull the motor as both the rack and heater box would be easier with the motor out of way. I did drive it to the gas station last week and was praying it wouldn't let loose like yours did....If the padded mat is really bad, I may have a spare grey one....I'll look.....Hey, at least it's not one of the cars that has ECU right in middle of the puddle.....I feel your pain....Tom

#259 ·
Freaking bummer man! The V8 gods demand a fresh sacrifice. You really don't have much that can go wrong now, do ya?

#260 ·
toml99 said:
Also Audi issued a TSB at some point changing the oil level from 10 to 8 quarts, but never reissued a dipstick, so you should be running at the bottom of dipstick, otherwise will have excessive consumption/leakage, especially out of the potentially rotted out rear breather on drivers head.
Wow, really??? I didn't know this. Good to know. So if you want to check the oil "full" should be if you are at the bottom part of the existing dipstick?

Wonder if there is a longer dipstick we can use...that's kind of annoying.

#261 ·
CaifanSC said:
Freaking bummer man! The V8 gods demand a fresh sacrifice. You really don't have much that can go wrong now, do ya?
Bummer yes, but you are right there. With the timing belt done, now the heater core to be done, I guess the next major issue will be the clutch, which nearly isn't as bad as either of them. Regardless I do kind of enjoy it as it puts me that much closer with the car. I knew what I was getting into buying an older audi, and I'm completely ok with it.

#262 ·
Mbsjr92 said:
CaifanSC said:
Bummer yes, but you are right there. With the timing belt done, now the heater core to be done, I guess the next major issue will be the clutch, which nearly isn't as bad as either of them. Regardless I do kind of enjoy it as it puts me that much closer with the car. I knew what I was getting into buying an older audi, and I'm completely ok with it.

Amen brotha...i know this awaits me with mine. Not if...when....and I'm also cool with it :). Great cars these.

#263 ·
Back in action just in time for the beautiful weather coming around. FYI for those looking todo heater core / blower box resto , a blower motor from 92-94 v8 with the 4.2 will work; though the cage/ fan itself will need to be salvaged from the original and mated with the new motor as the cage/fan from the 4.2 doesn't fit properly.

Need to source myself a new A/c compressor, as well as accumulator while I'm at it. It looks like it might be the same as the one a coupe takes ? I would assume the v8 shares some parts with the others.

#264 ·
That was quick! Glad to hear you're back in action.

#265 ·
Next project is the a/c system. Got myself a new compressor and of course the clutch is incorrect. Came with v belt clutch , have to source myself a new serp belt 6? Ridge clutch? Maybe someone has a P/N I could use to get one. Once that's sourced should be pretty straight forward, and finally have a car with A/C

#266 ·
maybe you should look at what's on the car now and replace that. Don't assume that what's on the car now is necessarily what the car came with from the factory - someone may have swapped parts or converted the setup previously

#267 ·
I'm at the point now where I'm going to enjoy the car, but feel I'm in the market for something different soon. I do really enjoy the vehicle, but I simply don't have the time I used to have to be able to tinker away at it. I'm open to offers/ trades, just seeing whats there. As of right now, the car needs an A/C clutch to get the a/c operating, and a little tlc of course. There is a small amount of oil weeping, seems to be from the rear main, so that would need to be addressed. I can provide receipts of the recent jobs (timing belt, heater core etc,) You all know the car, I've done nothing further (modification wise) so referring to the older pictures shows how it looks. Not in a rush to get rid of, but feel I can't take care of the car as I had hoped. Work is picking up, I need something a bit more reliable, though I'm not biased to another older audi, 5 cyl turbo. Let me know, I can provide you with as much info as possible from my end (pictures and all) upon request.

#269 ·
Thought some things over, have not fully committed to getting rid of it. It's a love hate with the car, but there are issues that need to be addressed. Just replaced coolant reservoir as the old one was borderline about to explode with all the micro cracks. Also freed up the electric cooling fan which was inoperable. Next is to tackle the a/c. Sourced some compressors new that are a fraction of the cost (nice when non audis use the same parts but the cost for them is close to nothing ) once that is good, there at a few other things trying to source. New instrument cluster, and window regs all around ( if anyone has a lead that would be awesome,) I plan to go to my local pick n pull and see what they have

#271 ·
Fix one thing and the Audi gods immediately decide that is not allowed. Walk out from office just to find the entire power steering system has dumped onto the ground, needless to say I am thrilled. Next project.:

#272 ·
New p/s pump ordered, looks like the one on the car is kaput. P/s fluid flowing like a river out of the backside, either a crack in it, or seals are f**$ed. Sourcing new low/high pressure lines to go with it, should make a big difference.

#275 ·
shiny parts! What are you doing for your steering hoses? Custom made?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.