motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 680 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

83 URQ resto-mod

Post subject: Re: 83 URQ resto-mod
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:15 am 
Chirping second

New clutch, nice !
Carlisle is a nice trip to break her in.
Have a blast buddy, sorry we can't be there, it will have to be next year.
Safe travels Frankie and drivers !
Cheers,
Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:03 pm 
Redline?

I really like that you've broken away from the normal UrQ wheel setup. It feels like a lot of people fiercely oppose anything bigger than 15-16 inch. I'm very happy to see that the 17inch wheels look great considering that I am thinking about getting a 17x8 wheel set up as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Ves wrote:
I really like that you've broken away from the normal UrQ wheel setup. It feels like a lot of people fiercely oppose anything bigger than 15-16 inch. I'm very happy to see that the 17inch wheels look great considering that I am thinking about getting a 17x8 wheel set up as well.

Thanks! I was worried how 17" wheels might look. The decision basically came down to tire selection. 15's are virtually impossible wrap which is a shame because I had the 8" wide ronals. Many people jump to 16's but even that size is starting to thin out. 17" just made sense to me. More selection and in many cases they are cheaper too. Next time I would like to try and fit a wider tire than a 215 but I didn't want to risk it first time around. As for the wheels, I think it's important to get a wheel with a decent lip or some dish to it. I've seen some urqs with 17's and no lip and it can look over wheeled.

On a side note, the car made the trip to Carlisle and back with no serious issues. Unfortunately I don't really have any pictures to prove it except of our small convoy heading back home. lol It was my first ever car show and it was great. First of many I hope. Actually, just tonight the family and I headed out to a local car show in Barrie Ontario. I almost forgot to take a picture there too! I'm always concerned that I'll get turned down at some of our local shows because nobody knows what the hell it is or might not even care. Typically it's all American muscle but tonight they had an Audi. I even had some curious people asking questions about it.

Attachments:
carlisle16.jpg
carlisle16.jpg [ 200.53 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
barrie show.jpg
barrie show.jpg [ 330.13 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:25 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

I didn't realize how long it's been since I posted here. To be honest there hasn't been anything worth posting. This last year I put the project on hold and spent more time driving it. In that time I've tolerated some stupid issues. With the Carlisle Import show a week away, I thought I should try and fix some of them. I always try to leave it to the last minute to maximize my stress. :slap:

The main issue is the car runs hot. The slow speed stuff around town is no problem, the upgraded 300 watt fan fixed that. My issue is the high coolant temps at highway speeds under decent load/boost. I know my civic half rad is too small and my overall coolant volume is pretty pathetic. I'm not giving up on my cheapo $150 rad because I like the idea of cheap easy to find replacement parts. My solution therefor is to add yet another rad, specifically, one from Chevy Malibu Hybrid. I searched for a long time before finding an off the shelf rad that could fit in this cramped engine bay. This particular rad was used to cool the electronics for the hybrid system and it's nice and small. Best part is it only cost less than $80. I should see an improvement but If that doesn't work, I'll try and improve airflow through the civic rad. Maybe this is an issue of a high pressure zone behind the radiator reducing airflow. Either way the road to Carlisle will be the big test drive.

Attachments:
AuxRad01.jpg
AuxRad01.jpg [ 387.31 KiB | Viewed 49 times ]
AuxRad02.jpg
AuxRad02.jpg [ 459.57 KiB | Viewed 49 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:34 pm 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

That may work for am awic heat exchanger. Nice find!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 680 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information