motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

10vt into my 80q(the Bandit)

Post subject: Re: 10vt into my 80q(the Bandit)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:08 am 
I post, therefore I am

I have come to the conclusion that I may be one of the worste quattro owners ever.

Here sits the bandit covered in about 3.5" of snow, not going anywhere anytime soon.

I sold the all seasons in preparation to put snow tires on those wheels. Well, I never got them. :frustrated:

I did at least clean it off, but that was because I was out to clean off my 85 year old neighbors blazer you can see in the pic :hide:

York PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:34 am 
I post, therefore I am

Got some more work done on the HY exhaust housing. I noticed what looked to be a separation between the cast iron, and the stainless sleeve that originally held the flapper rod. I filled the chamber with water, and put some air pressure to the outside. Had a nice stream of bubbles showed up in the housing. Instead of attempting to weld the stainless to the cast iron, I pressed out the plug, and threaded it for 5/8-18. Jambed a bolt in, and welded that in.

After it cooled off, I cleaned up the weld in in the downpipe area.

Now im considering machining it tapered to 2.75" from the 2.55" it is now.

I also opened up the plug I put in the WG hole. I matched it as close as I could without removing much from the original casting.

That's it for now, I need to machine the downpipe flange area, and descide if I want to open up the downpipe area after the turbine.

York PA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 am 
I post, therefore I am

Finally got the HY all finished up. Time to send it out to get that header made.

Went a little heavy on the grinder though.

It does look much better without the giant bracket hanging off the side...

York PA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:35 am 
Chirping second

I'm just as bad. My 5k is just chilling out in the snow even though its way better in the snow than the a6 for f250.

2012 VW Golf TDI: Emitting nOx
1997 F250 4.8: Rusting
1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 3.8 v6: Winter vacation
1982 Yamaha xj650 seca: out-a-tune
1999 Saab 9-3 3-door: Sold
1999 Saab 9-3 5-door stage 3: Sold
Volvo s40: sold

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:22 am 
I post, therefore I am

So it's been a while... The bandit has been having some issues, but I think they are getting ironed out.

First was the coolant sensor. It was acting a little strange. When it was really cold, like yesterday when it was 14°F, it was showing in the mid 30°s. It would also rocket through 45°-90° in about 5 seconds. I actually got to watch this on my new TunerStudio dashboard. Replacing the sensor actually seemed to make it worse. So looked into the calibration, and it was somehow changed. So I set it back to the SAAB(Bosch) settings, and now it reads spot on, and very smoothly. Also, it now reached around 196°, and the fan turns on. Before, it would get to 195° and sit there for quite some time before the fans would turn off.

Then there was a sync loss issue I was having. Again, when it was really cold, I would experience multiple synced loss events just in the warm up time. I didn't believe the sensor itself was the problem though, at least not internally. There was a possibility it would have been the wiring, but I didn't suspect that. I downloaded the PDF file for this sensor, and read about the pull up resistor needed for 5v use. Talked to Eric, and he said it was correct. So then I started looking into the air gap recommended for this sensor. Turns out they want a 1.5mm gap when using their "optimal wheel design". The problem is, for a 60-2 wheel using their optimal specs, it would be huge! So looking at it, I'm figuring my sensor is just too darn close to the wheel, and it picking up the shallow gap in the missing tooth area. I moved the sensor back about a 1/2 turn, and things seems to have cleaned up a lot! So that issue is solved for now.

Now with having turned the N75 back on, I'm is hitting 18psi. It's a lot of fun when I don't have a sync loss. Doing a 3rd gear pull from 2k-6K rpm flat out is a whole lot of fun. Now just need to get the high boost areas of the VE table tuned in to spec. I was seeing around 11/1 AFR during the last pull I did. Slowly but surely this is getting worked out.

Oh, and after all that, I have developed a small exhaust leak where the back of the test pipe meats the mid pipe. I'm going to try to tighten the band clamp again. If that doesn't work, I might need to replace it, and smear on some exhaust cement. It was kind of funny looking under my car, and seeing the exhaust blowing bubbles...

Well, that's it for now, hopefully soon I'll get everything straightened out. Then put in the Bilstein struts up front. That should help out a lot with the handling.

Thanks for reading, hope everyone is haveing better luck than I.

York PA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:21 am 
I post, therefore I am

Yesterday I took a 3hr round trip drive to Pottstown PA. I didn't take the bandit, and that was a blessing, 422 is all torn up, so that would have been quite harsh on my spine.

Anyways, I did said trip to go pick up another "era correct" accessory.

This is a "ski box", so it's 92" long! I got it for a great price, so it was worth it. I picked this up for one purpose. I'm planning a road trip to Massachusetts to get the bandit tuned, and pick up some parts. One of those parts being a 4KQ driveshaft. I have serious doubts that would fit in the car, so this will be perfect. My saying about it is... Is big, it's ugly, and it's era correct! I'll finally end up selling it after the trip just so I don't need to store it...

Also, I'm looking into some sort of coil spacer for the rear springs. The rear sits about 1/4"-3/8" lower than the front. I want to get the fender gaps to be closer in size to each other for the trip. As it site now, the rear will rub if I hit a descent bump. Picking that up some would help tht a lot. Anyone have any experience with this?

York PA

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:56 am 
I post, therefore I am

Haven't had much going on lately. The car has been sitting for a while now do to weather unpredictability. With it having it's own little issues here and there, I haven't felt too adventures with it.

On the plus side, the boost control seems to be working. It is set to hold 18psi to redline now. Seems to do quite well with it as well. I need to get a log done for Eric though. With changing computers, I lost my SD card logging. I still need to set that back up.

Carlisle will be here soon, hope to see everyone there!

York PA

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:03 am 
I post, therefore I am

Getting ready for the Carlisle bike ride this year. Bike been gone over, and seems to be working well. Bike carrier put on, and I love how the side arm hold the bike down.

I need to come up up with some kind of headlight for the bike though. Night riding in tunnels won't be any fun if I can't see what is in front of me...

York PA

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:43 pm 
I post, therefore I am

I'm going to try to swap out the suspension on the bandit this weekend. It will be nice to have descent struts on all 4 corners. This will be dependent on me finding the 4th strut mount that I know I have...

I also received one of the bicycle headlights I ordered. I'm impressed with the light output of it. I was hoping it would be fairly bright, but wasn't expecting the blinding brightness that it has. Hopefully the second one shows up tomorrow, it seems to have made a wrong turn in shipping.

York PA

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:43 pm 
Redline?

I was able to source strut mounts from partsgeek FYI. Got vaicos and cheap.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:04 am 
I post, therefore I am

Longhauler wrote:
I was able to source strut mounts from partsgeek FYI. Got vaicos and cheap.

Thanks, but all small chassis mounts on the market are junk except for the ones from VW/Audi or Sachs. You will normally only get about 6-12 months out of the aftermarket ones.

York PA

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:02 am 
Redline?

I gotcha. Ironically (can't divulge where I worked) but I worked at a place that is one of the largest euro suppliers. Vaico are literally OEM built in Germany from OEM stampings. Good stuff I promise ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:18 pm 
I post, therefore I am

After the whole mother's day breakfast for the wife, I packed up and headed to Georges place to swap out the B&G suspension for the Weitec one.

First time these 2 have been in the same space in a long time!

The Weitec's front struts were shorter than standard, this being a suspension kit, I wasn't worried at first. When was assembled them, I got quite nervous though. You can see in this pic just how much shorter!

Needless to say, I was worried for my slightly oversized tires... When we installed the entire suspension, the rear looked like a monster truck at first! After bouncing the car around a little, it settled nicely. Took it for a drive and it settled more to look like this.

After the drive home, it has settled ever so slightly more, but very livable. It feels much better on the road, and does not dart around nearly as much as it did. These springs are definitely stiffer than the B&G's, I'm sure having good struts helped with that too. So far I'm quite happy with it, the rear no longer rubs when I hit rolling bumps, so much better. Looking forward to my travels to the abandoned turnpike and Carlisle!

York PA

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:29 am 
I post, therefore I am

The Bandit now has her badge of honor again! It's not the one I wanted to put on, but this one sits nicely using the OEM clips. Looks pretty good.

I also picked up a bicycle helmet for the pre Carlisle ride of the abandoned turnpike. I truly think I'm all set now. This weekend can't come soon enough!

York PA

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm 
I post, therefore I am

This truly is how my luck goes... I'm loading the bandit so I'm not rushing around tomorrow to get to the bike ride. I go to lock the doors after closing the trunk, and nothing. Well, I shouldn't say nothing, the driver's door locked. Everything else stays open. I figure I must have hit something in the truck knocking off the main power wire or something. No such luck. I go to the passenger door, and it activated the vacuum pump. Looks like I'm back where I started when I first got the car. Using the passenger door to unlock it.. :frustrated:

York PA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information