Automobiles Forum banner

83 UR Quattro #686

4K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  Afterthought 
#1 ·
Tracking my progress on a project thats a bit overwhelming but going to try and do it in one piece at a time.
The car is an '83 URQ, Blue with Zebra interior. Canadian non-sunroof, Underhood fusebox.
10VT MC engine swapped in, stock CIS and URQ wiring harness, Mac-02 Computer (IA chipped). I think it was owned by IA at some point ( maybe?) and may have some work done to the engine but not sure. Will check later.

Immediate goals are to work on the body little by little and see if I can get it running again. Not going to dig too deep until I have my other car up and running.
Long term goals, new fenders, new quarters, replace rockers, complete repaint. The car is probably well cared for but living in canada got the best of the sheet metal in some places. Some day I will have to consider if I am going to do a cool 10v build or 20v.

Untitled by patrick C, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
Has a wiring gremlin somewhere maybe in the engine harness that I need to sort out.
Immediately after I got the car I ran through what I could for troubleshooting. I had no fuel and no spark. Found the fuel issue to be a bad fuel pump and also possibly a bad wire at the red plug "g?" under the fuse box. Replaced fuel pump and some fittings and got fuel.
Installed distributor, set timing to TDC and did a number of checks and found that I had no spark still. Tried swapping ECU , IGN module under the dash, swapped TDC and RPM sensors- no resolve. Eventually after monkeying around with almost everything trying to do things one at a time I got the car to fire up but not sure what I did (classic)
For about two weeks I had the car running well and put about a tank of gas through and then was driving one day and it just completely died, no spark again. tried the same troubleshooting methods over again and had no fix.

#3 ·
while I had some downtime I wanted to just peek under one of the fenders to see how bad it was so I picked the one that appeared to be the worst.
Undercoating is on thick, (Guessing maybe this was added later) had to remove quite a bit to gain access to the bolts.
Fender off, pile of rust :(
Looking at whats there
Removing the triangle brace and set aside to make a pattern and get one going

#4 ·
Marking out how much to replace
Trasferred over my blue tape (marked)

Clamped together and cut through both at the same time

Test fit and a little filing

Tacking in

that is where I'm at currently

#5 ·
Looks good so far! Do me a favor though, get yourself some real fire felt. I'm sure the blanket you are using is doing ok, but last thing you want to happen is for that to catch fire. That would put a large damper on this project.

#6 ·
DE80q said:
Looks good so far! Do me a favor though, get yourself some real fire felt. I'm sure the blanket you are using is doing ok, but last thing you want to happen is for that to catch fire. That would put a large damper on this project.
You're exactly right .
Thinking of something like this for the immediate area next to where I am working .
http://www.toolplanet.com/product/Fiber ... fgodu4oC1w

As far as the big stuff .... I need to cover at least one if not 2-3 cars and multiple pieces of equipment from sparks ideally no I'll be looking for a solution for that . Typically I just do grinding outside but with this project I can't avoid it .

#7 ·
Those work, but are easily damaged. We use the Tillman thermofelt at work. I can vouch for the 3000°F claim. I have had the felt itself glowing red, and there was no damage to the part below. Fair warning, it's not cheap.

#8 ·
Pulled the fender off the other side last night and it's definitely in better shape but still some issues to be worked through.

So I think this weekend if I devote a little time to it I will see what works for scraping off the coating .

I could use a wire wheel and take that off quickly , but it would take the factory primer too , so Im looking at a heat gun and using something to scrape off as much as I can then touch up?
Could try soda blaster but I think it would be a waste

#10 ·
ralleyquattro said:
Subscribed... cool car, where did you find it? Is the chassis # 686? This must be the earliest car I have seen with underhood fusebox, looks like it might have a later suspension setup?
This car came from Canada . I will get a look at the suspension in a bit .
So my white 83 #603 has underhood and it is factory it appears so it must have been one of the first .

#12 ·
Took a trip to ACE hardware . Picked this thing up , wasn't much more help than anything else getting the undercoating off.

Angle grinder broke down right after I got back from the hardware store , nice .

This spot should be easy to patch .

This spot will not be easy to patch

This is odd....

#14 ·
ralleyquattro said:
No kidding, I wonder if it had some trauma in the past, to need this kind of weld.
Strut itself looks clean, especially for Canadian (if it was an East coast car).
I was told that it was owned by intended acceleration for a long time and was used as intended acceleration as a drag car . After that I think it was in BC . When I had it running a couple months ago it was real quick for what little I remember about CIS.
I had an idea to test the hall sender (from Keith B recommendation) so I made an LED test light for it and it seems to be working so maybe next I need to test the wires and see that the signal is getting to the ECU.

[MEDIA=flickr]VT72CJ[/MEDIA]" oncl...19/46ab3d6b7aa51d96541bf9c87a9b4fb8.jpg[/IMG]

#15 ·
Parts on the wall... I like it! Now, let's see the chalk outline wall!

#21 ·
Haven't been working on this much for a large number of reasons but have made a little progress .
The rockers are more difficult than I though to make , mainly because my box and pan brake doesn't leave enough room to get all the bends . Took probably 3 attempts to get one I was happy with .

Passenger

Driver

Test fit with quarter in place

#23 ·
soon it will be time to tackle the lower trunk area and I almost need the car to be on its side or upside down to do that . My goal is to be able to clean the entire floor and wheel wells, etc. I want to make sure there is 0 rust anywhere . This is the passenger wheel well, how it's cleaning up so far . On the drivers well I have two small areas to do.
The rockers of course , trunk, floor and then I'll be good to go unless there are more discoveries .

Engine is out so I can access the few spots I saw from the bottom , below the brake booster and behind the steering rack .

#24 ·
So the car needs to go on a rotisserie so i can clean and repair the bottom properly.
That equiment will be here hopefully in the next few weeks. It's not a hurry because this car isn't my main focus yet.

Re: the rocker.
I can't make the whole entire peace from pinch weld to pinch weld. So the options I have are to find it , or make it in two pieces. I think it can be done but the amount of time it will take to make it right is going to be alot.
After much debate I finally decided I would just order them from AM cars, and once I ordered I found out they do not make them anymore :)
SO unless anyone knows of a source for these parts (Left & Right rocker or "side member") I will be making it myself through trial and error.
Looked through the entire audi tradition catalog for the Quattro and couldn't find it

#26 ·
Good parts haul today ... I have acquired many of he crucial parts I need to make everything right .
Lower trunk area , not a perfect fit but a great start , got both sides

Front fender bolting area and triangle brace
Both sides as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.