Automobiles Forum banner

Audi V8 engine conversion for my VAN!

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hilly 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm looking into fitting an Audi V8 into the back of my (wait for it!) VW Syncro Vanagon :bashtard:

I've just fitted a 2.5 TDi 5 Cylinder engine to another one of these syncro vans and love the torque but the gearing is crap for motorway driving.

The parts I used to fit the 5 Cylinder engine to the stock Transmission are factory.. a bellhousing from VW in South Africa but the questions are:

Will the Audi V8 bolt up the same as the 5 Cylinder? Remember this isn't the normal multifit Audi bellhousing.

The engine mounting bar bolts up to the chassis rails on the back of the van (although I had to fit the captive nuts) and fits up to the stock engine mounts (heated on the 2.5TDi!). Is this likely to fit the V8 also?... I don't mind having to move it forwards or backwards... I'm more worried about bolting it up to the engine.

Also the flywheel I had to use in the 2.5 TDi conversion was from a 2WD 2.2 5 Cyl as the stock item was too deep and all the quattro flywheels I've seen were too deep also.
I have seen a pic of the flywheel that 034 Motorsport sell but is it likely to be too deep?

I'm in UK so if anyone on this side of the pond has a spare V8 (!) lying around or mid-transplant that I could offer my bellhousing up to.. it would really help!

Thanks for now

Mickey

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the V8 will bolt up, however engine fitment will not be optimal. The 5 cylinder vanagon mounts the engine on it's side, which would entail the V8 engine mounting on it's side, meaning one cylinder bank will point straight up while the other will probably hit the ground.

You might want to consider a 1.8t or a porsche motor.

#3 ·
Hi and thanks for the info.
I think you may be thinking of the 4 Cylinder inline engines in the Vanagon which are mounted on their side.
The 5 Cylinder engines are mounted at the same angle as in the Audi's..
Does this mean that the V8 uses exactly the same bolt pattern as the 5 Cyl?

Q's about flywheel etc still remain.

MG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.