Automobiles Forum banner

** Green *******... Now with IAT log...

104K views 618 replies 95 participants last post by  20V-Jason 
#1 ·
After a 2+ year absence ** Green ******* is comin back to life. To explain where I've been I think a little background is required. This car has always been special and I am the original owner. It was sporting a 2.5 stroker motor with a one-off Garrett GT35R with a .82 hot side turbine encased in a .63 housing and built by Jim LaTour of the old TEC. I had an issue with a plug coming apart in #4. It seems that with my AEM CDI ignition system matched with the AEM EMS, I couldn't use the old F5DP0Rs. I had to use regular copper plugs and that's what Dave Jones had installed. I just thought that I'd try a brand new set of the old style plugs I had but without checking with Dave. I was on a SuperFlow 880 AWD dyno that is significantly more conservative than the Mustang we had been using. The car put down 435hp/509tq at 16 lbs of boost and we were doing progressive runs with higher boost each time to baseline and then go back and use the NOS FMIC chiller. Well, on the 2nd pull something went wrong at about 4500 rpm. The plug on #4 lost itself, not from detonation, but failure. It seems that my CDI is too powerful for these plugs. I've seen lots pf examples of detonation eaten plugs and this was nothing like that at all. It just blew the end off the plug and that end went into the combustion chamber, rattled around the valves, then out an exhaust valve where it did a BIG number on my custom GT35R. At the end of the day, I had shelled the head, one piston/cylinder and one very special turbo.

This is not the first engine I have blown but this was particularily hard to swallow because the car was running soo good and it had just been down for a little over a year from its last rebuild. What I decided to do was look upon this as an opportunity rather than defeat. I then decided with Dave Jones to build the ultimate S-car and that is where this story is going. About the only things left over from that old motor were the short stroker crank and the rods. We ended up swapping out the rods for Carrillos for more weight savings. I'll continue this story as time permits. I'm on vacation in Kauai and I have a little time on my hands so I thought this would be a good time to start.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
With a full set of 993tt Big Reds on all fours, did I really have to upgrade ** brakes??? Well, yes I did! The HP goals for a car like this are somewhere North of 700 crank HP. With that kind of powah and Quattro to deliver it to ** road you need some massive stopping power to get things under control. That's where the Big Yellow Cayenne 6 piston calipers and 355x32mm 2 piece rotors come in. Apikol ran a set of brackets for the front anchors and they also specced the hats. I decided to retain the rear 4 piston calipers with 314x30 2 piece rotors for the time being but I'll be going larger back there when This car is finally on the road again. The final piece to the brake system is the K-Sport e-brake handle with built-in master cylinder for e-brake turns. Dave Jones has rigged a solenoid activated by remote button that releases the lever lock. Since I'll be the only person to know where the button is, its also an anti-theft device.

The suspension I have features the 28mm S6 plus front sway bar and a custom 29mm rear HRSB that is a one-off. The actual suspension is a limited production coil-over system by Dave Stone of Performace Machine Works, Ltd. As per his website, this kit specifically designed for the S-4 includes:
See gallery for photo of kit.
Caster/Camber Assemblies (photo on home page)
Koni 8611 front strut catridges valved for the S-4
Koni 8212 rear aluminum coilover shocks valved for the S-4
Front coilover kit: spring hats, o-rings, thrust bearings, adaptors
Rearcoilover kit: spring adaptors, busings and washers
Hyperco 2.5" coilover springs
Coilover sleeves and nuts for front strut housings

I'm running 500 lb springs in ** front and 550 lb springs in ** rear. The whole system is magical in converting the understeer to an absolutely neutral turning car off power but serious on power oversteer kind of car with the go pedal. Oh, tis fun I say!

Attachments

#7 ·
s2 on the way said:
wow she's sexy under the hood....

thats amazing the amount of torque the stroker put down....even if it was for just 1 pull...

excited to see her under way again :thumbsup:
Thanks. Wait until you see the new motor and underhood shots I've got. Dave Jones' shop, S-Line Motorsport has a polisher and I do like things nice and shiney. Given that we were only pulling 16 lbs of boost makes that torque number even more impressive. She should be on ** road by the end of the month.

#9 ·
Hey Hap, got a few questions for you...what turbo are you going to run with the new set-up? And also have you modified your gearbox at all for the additional power? Still on hydraulic lifters? If so/or if not, what are your plans for the rev limit of the motor?

Everything looks great, can't wait to see how it all turns out!

#12 ·
I like this project!!!! Are you going to give us some more motor details before you hit the dyno or just wait to surprise us? Those old numbers are pretty impressive especially on 16lbs. Keep us posted as long as you are just lounging around in Hawaii. :wink:

#13 ·
SpoolinS6 said:
Hey Hap, got a few questions for you...what turbo are you going to run with the new set-up? And also have you modified your gearbox at all for the additional power? Still on hydraulic lifters? If so/or if not, what are your plans for the rev limit of the motor?

Everything looks great, can't wait to see how it all turns out!
Hey Brian

Yeah, things are coming around nicely at this point. I'll have answers for you on ** next post. Redline should be around 7500 with the solid lifters.

#16 ·
quattro87 said:
I like this project!!!! Are you going to give us some more motor details before you hit the dyno or just wait to surprise us? Those old numbers are pretty impressive especially on 16lbs. Keep us posted as long as you are just lounging around in Hawaii. :wink:
No surprises. The motor details will be up with pics shortly.

#18 ·
Hapster said:
quattro87 said:
Can't wait as I'm at work all night with a pretty slow outlook on the night. As my signature states, I'm in the process of building a short deck 2.5l stroker and I'm way interested in your build.

#19 ·
Lets start with the head because that's were all the problems started with the spark plug that let loose. First of all it's a Big Valve Big Cam Head (BVBCH) that's ported, polished, Swain coated and flowed with a race valve grind. Its got 1mm larger titanium intake and exhaust valves, custom solid lifters, heavy duty valve springs, titanium retainers, steel head gasket, ARP head studs and retainers, custom ground and timing adjustable Big Lift intake and exhaust cams with an 034 EFI Adjustable Cam Gear Pulley and 034 60-2 crank trigger. There's also a port matched 034 intake manifold that's ported & polished inside and out with an 034 Big Bore 70mm Throttle Body and custom AAN mounts with an 034 Idle Air Motor Kit. Internally we've got Wiseco forged 83mm coated stroker pistons, Carrillo forged rods with ARP rod bolts, 92.8mm short stroker crank(2.51 liter displacement). Controlling the spark is an 034EFI Stage IIc ECU stand alone engine management system with custom wiring harness that utilizes an AEM 8 Channel Twin Fire Ignition System (CDI) and Hyabusa motorcycle coils. Speaking of polished, a custom polished vacuum manifold, polished oil pan and engine mounts, polished valve cover and polished assorted aluminum engine bits(just about all of them) round things out.

For fuel delivery there are 880cc @ 3.0 bar blue printed fuel injectors, an 034 -10 fuel rail, Fuelab adjustable fuel pressure regulator with fuel pressure gauge, Fuelab Prodigy Digital(** BEEG One) external inline fuel pump and Fuelab inline filters 1 before & 1 after ** pump with custom -10 SS solid fuel line that enters the engine bay on ** Kewl driver's side. It should be noted that all fittings and lines are -10 except the port coming out of the fuel pressure regulator for the return line which is -6. We're using the old feed line as the return line.

To get rid of all this fuel and pump things up is an S-Line Motorsports equal length and firing order sequenced prototype 316L Stainless Steel tubular exhaust manifold with EGT bungs for each cylinder tube, Tial Sport V44 Wastegate, custom 3 1/2" SS downpipe and Magnaflow exhaust that splits into twin 3" Magnaflow 3" in and dual 2½" out mufflers with polished tips(Twin Twins). ** hair dryer is one impressive blower. Its an Innovative Turbo Systems F271 dual ceramic bb turbo good for 760 hp. It sucks air through a 105mm turbo intake with an AEM 4" cone air filter. Up front is a massive custom 24"x10.5"x4" FMIC with Garrett intercooler core and modified Apikol polished end tanks. Moving the charge air around are custom 3" polished aluminum piping plumbed from turbo to throttle body with a hard mounted Tial Sport Blow Off valve.

Keeping things cooled off is a custom polished aluminum radiator with custom polished shroud and dual SPAL high flow electric fans and an Earl's 27 row(Happersized) oil cooler mounted at the stock I/C location with temp activated electric fan. A NOS FMIC Serpentine Spray-Bar with a polished 10lb bottle and purge & WOT activation switches. Custom vacuum manifold, polished valve cover, polished assorted aluminum engine bits(just about all of them).

To deliver the powah ya just got to get it to ** road. Getting things started is a custom Southbend Stage 6 race/street clutch. Next is a very special and just about unobtanium European CRB 6-speed transmission rebuilt by Mr. Klugge with hardened spline and hardened & wide first gear. Shifting things around are an Apikol short shift kit with shortened lever and Amorosoized lead filled shift shaft. An Aluminum Flywheel(17 lbs lighter than stock dual mass) keeps the revs nice and blippy. To help help things along, a Stasis Torsen Center Differential was added along with 034 Track Density Motor mounts and 034 Track Density Transmission mounts.

Attachments

#21 ·
quattro87 said:
Hapster said:
quattro87 said:
Can't wait as I'm at work all night with a pretty slow outlook on the night. As my signature states, I'm in the process of building a short deck 2.5l stroker and I'm way interested in your build.
There ya go. What can you tell me about your stroker?

#25 ·
drool worthy pics... man. fancy pants work there.

just curious, how old are you Hap?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.