Automobiles Forum banner

1984 Ur-quattro 20vt, 336whp 380 torques, 6-speed

119K views 562 replies 82 participants last post by  sepp 
#1 ·
So.. the ax has fallen and last November I was able to pick up not one, not two but three Ur-q for the price of one.

Here is the original ad:

"I have three Ur Qattros on the blocks...
1. 1981 Mars Red (yes an 81 from Europe) that is a rust free shell but has 90% of the parts brought in as a race car and not registered in Canada.
2. 1983 Silver first one delivered to Canada (I was told it was sold at Agincourt Autohaus) complete but has just sat for a really long time...
3. 1984 Red with Black leather... my dream car... has an 11 year old $10k+ strip and restore from the Audi dealer in Ottawa never hit perfect body with paint job that is documented and would make a new R8 jealous. Over $20k in new Audi parts are into it and all it needs is the Engine and trans to be dropped back in."

I was mostly interested in the '84 and rest was considered a bonus.
So... the '84 is already at the house, '81 sold to Mike Hopton and '83 sold to John Atkinson, both have their own pages on Motorgeek.

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37568
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33867

I had a low mile AAN sitting waiting for the SQ projest, but that can be few years away. I also have an RS2 harness and bunch of other bits.
Unfortunately this also means my 4kq tdi project is cancelled, I much rather drive around in a 20vt Ur-q than a 4kq tdi no matter how nice it would have been.

Here are the specs
- AAN engine rebuild with;
- Scat rods
- RS2 connecting rod bearings
- 034 coated main bearings
- ARP hardware all around
- Stock pistons and compression
- New gaskets and seals all round
- Cylinder head rebuild with:
- 034 Titanium Valve Spring retainers
- 034 HD Valve springs
- 034 Lightweight Valve lifters
- 034 High Output coil kit
- 034 Aluminum radiator
- New valve seals.
- 7A cams.
- Wagner Sport EVO exhaust manifold
- MTM intake manifold
- FMIC 28x9x2.5
- Gerrett GT3071r turbo with 3" V-band hotside.
- Controlling it is VEMS ECU via S2 ABY engine harness

Suspension
- Fully restored, blasted and powder coated sub frames, struts, control arms.
- New front and rear tie rod assemblies
- New ball joints, front/back (20v RR front)
- New bushings (alloy subframe, nylon control arm).
- New Bilstein HD shocks all around
- New Eibach (Sportwheel special) springs
- Compbrake solid strut mounts all around
- B4 upper strut brace

Brakes
- New sport quattro AP clipers with S4TT rotors down to 300mm (balanced afterwards).
- Fully rebuilt (including carriers) rear UrS calipers and new UrS rotors
- SS flex lines all around with ATE SuperBlue fluid
- Stock MC and new proportioning valve.
- All brake shields powder coated.
- New OEM hard lines all around.

Driveline
- 01E TDI 6-speed gearbox (DQT)
- 7A flywheel
- Southbend Stage 4+ Clutch kit
- 4.11 big rear end with new large seal.

Interior
- Orignal 1984 dash
- 4kq brown carpet in excellent shape
- Original seats reconditioned with Letherique products
- Euro Ur-q Green digidash with brand new OEM 20v harness
- B3 tripple gauges in the center console
- Brand new OEM radio
- Audi quattro 20v RR steering wheel
Exterior
- Original 8" Ronal wheels with new Yokohama ES100 tires
- European bumpers
- New original H4 and H1 headlights (quad) with like new bezels
- Fibreglass rear trunk lid.
- New Fuba manual antenna
- Proper pin striping, door rings and trunk decals
- OEM Yellow (French) fog lights

Here are few pics from the day I bought her:

This is going to be a third 20vt '84 in the area, Mike H and Craig C have the other two, Craigs build is here http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=12422, still waiting for Mike H to pull his finger out..

See less See more
#3 ·
ralleyquattro said:
2. 1883 Silver first one delivered to Canada I understand sold at Agincourt Autohaus) complete but has just sat for a really long time...
the first one you say? I didn't even know they where importing them in the 1800s! :wink:

Nice score.

#4 ·
so, how much are you asking for the other 2?:)

#9 ·
Martin,

I saw the pics in the gallery and then was going to come here and post but I saw you added them in your original post. Anyways, looks straight and clean, nice find. It looks to be a non-sunroof car, correct? Did this one come along with the one with the zebra interior that needs a total resto thats been off the road for 18 years or something?

#12 ·
Quattro Krant said:
Martin,

I saw the pics in the gallery and then was going to come here and post but I saw you added them in your original post. Anyways, looks straight and clean, nice find. It looks to be a non-sunroof car, correct? Did this one come along with the one with the zebra interior that needs a total resto thats been off the road for 18 years or something?
Yep, non sunroof.. ;)

This one had brown leather, both of the other cars '83 and '81 had Zebra.

#18 ·
So.. got both, ABY and MTM intakes on their way from Europe.. woohoo.
Also got an order to Tots for a set of ADU cams (well only the exhaust is different) and matching ADU cam belt pulley.

Also got going on the engine bay, pulled out wiring harness, entire steering and hydraulic systems.. next step is painting engine bay to match the rest of the body.

Pics to follow.

#19 ·
BIt of an update, got the engine compartment and interior cleaned out. The carpets were shot, mostly eaten by mice, the HVAC system had to come out and straight into the garbage, it was full of mouse nests.
Engine compartment all naked, now time to clean up and throw some fresh paint on it to match the exterior and the upper portion which was done already before.

#21 ·
Looks good. It seems another Urq, started later than mine, is passing me by. :( Keep up the motivating pictures Martin. I think that I will clean up my engine bay today and pull all the cables and harness back through the firewall.

I sure wish my fuse box was already out under the hood. Have you had the pleasure of relocating one out from under the dash to the engine bay? How much headache am I getting into when I go that way. Do you know how much difference there is between a doner Coupe GT harness with the digital dash and an 83 Urq? What problems do I need to expect?

#22 ·
John,

This is what I've done since November, so don't worry I don't think I have more spare time than you. Not to mention mine had the body work and paint done before I got it.

If you are planning on having digidsah I would use your current donor.. if you want analogue gauges I would find another donor with standard clocks.

I have not had the pleasure but if you are willing to pull the carpets and dash out it's not that difficult to swap out entire system over.

Cheers

#23 ·
I'm not really a digidash type guy and more old school analog, but because they are not real common I have played with the idea of going digital. Do you think a digidash would even come close to being able to keep up with a fast revving built motor? Anyone ever driven one to comment on how fast they keep up and how far the mph/rpm gauges go? I really wouldn't be interested in a speedometer that topped out at 110 mph.

#24 ·
I had both green and orange digi in my old 3B '85 and I liked it for the "unique" aspect.. also the orange dash worked well with the 3B and I could use the trip computer as well. The tach was ok.. it was the speedometer that could not keep up ;) I was toying with the idea of installing a digi in this car, but this is an '84 and I will keep the interior original.

Cheers

#25 ·
Hey Martin, is it possible to convert the Digi Dash CGT harness to work on an analog setup? That's the harness I have for our UrQ rebuild, and I was just planning on rewiring it to work with the analog. But if this isn't possible...........

thanks for the help! Look forward to seeing this puppy up and moving!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.