Automobiles Forum banner

New C-Level Firmware, 1.02 release info inside!

43K views 176 replies 35 participants last post by  JoakimR 
#1 ·
This release is a major software and feature update for all the 'C' level ECU's. Order update for existing ECU's here: http://www.034motorsport.com/034efi...ades-stage-v102-firmware-upgrade-p-19968.html

Tuning manual for 1.02 can be downloaded here: http://www.034motorsport.com/docs/034EFI_Tuning_Manual_1.02.pdf

NEW FEATURES:
-16x16 3d timing map in addition to the current maps, this will allow you to have extremely good resolution across the board, while still retaining the quick timing map setup you have now with the 2d tables. The 3d table can be your primary timing table, as seen below, or it can simply be a 'trim' table, with the traditional 2d tables definining the majority of the timing curve.

-5.5d fueling tables will greatly help guys with nasty cams/itbs who have poor MAP sensor resolution in some areas. These new maps will give you two full 16x16 tps based tables, one for tps based injection quantity, and another tps/rpm based blending table, so you can choose when you want to lean on the tps sensor with extreme accuracy.

-Startup timing and fueling enrichment with set rpm breakpoints and post-start enrichment timer.

-Timing based idle control, allows the ECU to retard/advance timing to adjust for small fluctuations in idle speed.

-2-wire GPO based closed loop idle will let you use a 'standard' 2-wire ISV in closed loop-fashion using GPO 1 or 2. The GPO output can be programmed for any operational range and direction of the motor to accommodate as many different styles as possible.

-Onboard Diagnostics mode, lets you test each injector and coil with a click of the mouse

-Minimum injection value per channel any time your above your decel cutoff point, the absolute lowest injection value calculated can be locked with this setting. This greatly helps idle stability and engine decel to idle operation with very large injectors that are operating right at their lowest physical opening time.

-Input configuration To suit as many setups as possible several ecu inputs can now be mapped to various functions. Configurable pins are: Map Select, Trig-B, Trig-IDX, and the AUX. pin.

-CAN Based wideband and EGT Support for our upcoming Wideband and EGT controller for a direct digital signal and controller information to ensure accuracy, and all the pertinent information needed.

-Remote tuning is now possible with networking support built into the GUI, two computers can be tied together and a tuner can remotely manipulate and log all the functions within the ECU.

-Custom sensor calibrations Capability to now map the response curve of all temperature and pressure sensors for the ECU.

-Wheel speed input fully configurable wheel speed input with gear mapping for up to 7 gears

-Gear based boost/GPO control allows 4 completely independent closed or open-loop boost tables to be assigned to any gear you choose.

-Flat shift system allows you to install a clutch-based switch that turns off injectors and/or pulls timing for a specified period of time, allowing you to keep your right foot down 'flat' while rowing through the gears.

-Extremely advanced launch and rev-limiting control system. We've added a pile of new rev limiters and strategies to let you lock and hold your desired RPM with as much or little boost as you want. There are 6 different rev limiters now, 3 for each mode (normal operation/launch control). With this you can set fuel cuts, hard ignition cuts, ignition cut strategy (how many ignition events you want to drop in a row, what pattern you want to drop, etc).

Here's a quick example of us testing it in the time attack car. With this setup we used a hard-ignition cut at 6300RPM with 30d of timing getting pulled at 6000 rpm. This gave us ~5psi of boost off the line and a launch point we could easily hold before take off:

UPDATED FEATURES:
-Closed loop lambda table is now a 9x9 table for greater resolution

-Main fueling table increments down to .001 for finer adjustment

-Additional phases 4 additional phase tables have been added for 16 total, even more injector/coil phasing options now.

See less See more
1 10
#153 ·
Rocco16V said:
Would this work on a Ic?
Where would you connect the CAN to the ECU? and can you still do logging thru the serial connector while using the CAN bus?

Any ETA on this awesome WB02 ?
Some, but not all 1Cs have a CAN chip installed, if it is then you will see it if you remove the cover.
If the chip is installed, the connections are on the 9 pin serial connector.

It can be added if needed, but since the WBO2 also has old school analog outputs, it can be connected to the 1C as any other WB could, albeit without all these other nice features provided by the CAN stream.

ETA is soon, testing is underway, we dont release things lightly.

#155 ·
Rocco16V said:
I doubt mine has the chip, its pretty old.

Can you still do logging while using the CAN bus attached to the serial connector?
Age has nothing to do with it.
All had the chip earlier on, then we discovered that having the CAN bus signals on the serial connector going to hardware handshaking lines caused some PCs to do odd things with some operating systems.

Yes, you can do logging with CAN connected, but you will have to make a simple "Y" cable to split the busses.

#157 ·
Well, I finally got the new software installed in my One Lap of America E30... So far the jury is out on how well it is going to all work. I can say, the weird ignition dropout seems to be gone that I had previously. And I have used some of the new items to make the engine seem to run as well or maybe better at idle. My issues are these... I have had to basically re tune the whole map. Don't know exactly why... but it just doesn't seem to directly transfer. First of all, I had to figure out what to do with the extra maps in the Base map page... basically zero out the pages for now because I will have to really work on the ignition maps etc. Also if you don't zero out the TPS stuff car will severely over fuel. Then I had to figure out how to get the startup feature to work. Car actually FWIW started better prior to this feature. Dunno if I can go back to the way it was or not, but I am going to work on the settings to see what pans out there. Weird as it may be, but I had to go and completely re work the wide band settings to get it to read like my XD-16. I will have to data log to get a true sense of what is going on. I have tuned over 20 different cars now I think on 034, and honestly, I know that this setup has a lot more capability, but when I loaded it up, I didn't expect to work on it for 12 hours so that I could drive myself back home. I know how good it ran previously, (fourth overall in OLOA)... so it may be safe to say I can tune. It just wasn't a smooth transition upgrade.

Also, When are we going to get a semi user friendly handbook? I mean, for instance... the new firmware added a multiplier for accel enrichment based on rpm. Sounds cool... how does it get used. The last thing I want to do now is plug in numbers that I have no frame of reference on how or what they do. Same thing goes for the TPS mix/fueling tables. I would love to have a how to that gives specific instances, and uses for this. Being one of the few people to get ITB's and turbo to work with the original software (and not using the mix tables) i'd LOVE to see if I can make this work even better. I am playing with them now... but teaching myself on this is not exactly the safest thing to do to your engine. Even me being as careful as I can. A little direction (more than a little if possible) bout be great! Hell, I am still scratching my head on some of the ORIGINAL settings! Now I have even more to make a mess of... with no explanation. I could call and talk to the guys (and those that have spoken to me know I do my best to figure things out in advance) I get tired of trying to figure things out via the phone. Being sort of a visual learner, I need something more tangible to follow along with (examples of use as I said before). I have soooo many questions based on the new software! UGH!

#159 ·
Firstly: you should have received updated set files to zero out/reset all new fields, and instructions with what to do with them when you were emailed your update. If you were not chances are you didn't get it from me, and I need to go club someone.

Secondly: every single field in the software is explained in the tuning manual you downloaded with the new GUI. I spent many hours updating it to cover all the new fields and options, if there is a field in the software that is not explained in the manual, please let me know.

#160 ·
newt said:
Firstly: you should have received updated set files to zero out/reset all new fields, and instructions with what to do with them when you were emailed your update. If you were not chances are you didn't get it from me, and I need to go club someone.

Secondly: every single field in the software is explained in the tuning manual you downloaded with the new GUI. I spent many hours updating it to cover all the new fields and options, if there is a field in the software that is not explained in the manual, please let me know.
UGH!!! Nate, I think you sent me something, but Dan sent me something else first. I wrote you back asking which was the difference and since it seemed as though on the surface based on the name, it was a copy of the same. I was not aware of the fact that you had to upload a .set file to clear things... I had to figure that out for myself. And as far as a the tuning manual... I can NOT see that anywhere in the files that were sent WHATSOEVER. Or in the GUI that I downloaded. I am re downloading the files to my desktop and will thoroughly go over what is in the package. I will admit... that I am NOT the most computer literate... but I would think that a info file I would have at least stumbled on. Nada. So, that would be VERY helpful indeed. I am still messing with things here. What will the conversion do for me now? Am I doomed to continue my RE tuning process? Also, is there any possibility that the tuning software will infact be updated to have the highlighted cell box for tuning? Super hard to find out which cells are needing attention. Thanks :)

#161 ·
You can load the update .set file I sent you just fine. It will zero out and reset all the new data fields.

The tuning manual, like I mentioned, is in the GUI package you downloaded off the website here, and available on the IIc Tech Page here. The updated set file can also be downloaded from the downloads page, here.

#162 ·
Also, not to nit-pick.... but the very fist page of this thread, the thread you're posting in, on the second line, is a link to the tuning manual as well.... ;)

#164 ·
newt said:
Also, not to nit-pick.... but the very fist page of this thread, the thread you're posting in, on the second line, is a link to the tuning manual as well.... ;)
Ha Ha... I must have missed that... but I am trying here! I just spent the last few hours going over my latest (that I saved) maps (completely forgot to save ones that were already imbeded prior to firmware update, which caused this snowball effect)... and pulled out what seem to be my best maps and converted them both (one for my high boost track use and one for daily driving). Now, with what I learned from yesterday, and the manual... that was in a different area on my computer for some reason when it downloaded... I am just about set to start messing around. I have to do some driving around to verify that the maps that I selected are indeed the ones that will work. None are far off from one another and I will go about my tweaking as I always do. I need to get a better method of saving/naming my maps. Good thing though that I had some actually saved that are good "go to" maps though. Since I didn't mess with my High boost map, the fueling map and other items were still basically intact. I verified that with older maps and such... So that was pretty easy. The street map (which gets most of my messing with) was possibly lost... so I have a earlier starting point that I worked with during the One Lap (on our trip) which I am sure is a decent if a little rough in places. Still, I hope that the Architect is going to somehow add the highlighted cell field soon to the tuning software! That way I can easy enough fine tune my driving cells. Next I want to figure out how I can best use the TPS mix tables

One suggestion if I may to the TPS mix tables... can a table be generated so that basically in VACUUM only TPS priority can be assigned/built? When my engine is in boost the fueling is very stable. It varies mostly in vacuum where in town, I have situations where sometimes I use very little throttle, but still not very much vacuum and I am pig rich (tuned for when I am actually using the throttle... and I found an interesting situation going through the mountains... where I was using more throttle at a given RPM than I tuned for and hence lean (too lean)... So, if there was a way to use more tps in vacuum and MAP in boost I can maybe even out the running... but then again, if I learn how to use the TPS maps as they are I might be just fine. It will always be a compromise with my setup with ITB's and a turbo though I know.

#165 ·
DTRguy said:
One suggestion if I may to the TPS mix tables... can a table be generated so that basically in VACUUM only TPS priority can be assigned/built? When my engine is in boost the fueling is very stable. It varies mostly in vacuum where in town, I have situations where sometimes I use very little throttle, but still not very much vacuum and I am pig rich (tuned for when I am actually using the throttle... and I found an interesting situation going through the mountains... where I was using more throttle at a given RPM than I tuned for and hence lean (too lean)... So, if there was a way to use more tps in vacuum and MAP in boost I can maybe even out the running... but then again, if I learn how to use the TPS maps as they are I might be just fine. It will always be a compromise with my setup with ITB's and a turbo though I know.
You can already accomplish most all of this with the 3d TPS Mix map. At low throttle positions where you know the motor is in vacuum you can blend in more TPS control, and taper it as the manifold pressure stabilizes with RPM/pressure.

#166 ·
I have read through the complete manual... there was a couple things that I still question...
1. what kind of effect does the accel adder have ie what numbers do you put in and what does it do exactly
2. Can there be a mathematical explanation of TPS Mix/fueling that I can use to determine values to be input (rather than guess like I always seem to do)

Also a little confused still on values to input on the TPS mix map and TPS fuel map. The manual states in the main body that there is a 0-100% that gets put into the mix table but near the end of the manual it states 1.0 is full and .5 is average. Some extra explanation of that would be appreciated.

I would like this info as I am currently tuning 3 turbo cars... All of which are on ITB's, 2 of which have the higher 4 (or 5) bar map sensor. So getting the understanding of this down will expedite the tuning process.

#167 ·
The TPSmix% cells define the ratio between using the MAP vs RPM map (speed density) and using the TPS vs RPM map (alpha N).

The range is 0 to 100.0%, and it allows you to tune each fuel map independently, then specify what percentage of each map you want to use at which regions of the performance envelope.

A value of 0% would mean to use 0% of the TPS (alpha N) map and 100% of the MAP (speed density map).
That is if the TPS map calculates 10ms of fuel pulse width, and the MAP map calculates 5ms of pw, it will fuel at 5ms (0+5).
A value of 50% would mean to use 50% of the TPS (alpha N) map and 50% of the MAP (speed density map).
That is if the TPS map calculates 10ms of fuel pulse width, and the MAP map calculates 5ms of pw, it will fuel at 7.5ms (5+2.5).
A value of 100% would mean to use 100% of the TPS (alpha N) map and 0% of the MAP (speed density map).
That is if the TPS map calculates 10ms of fuel pulse width, and the MAP map calculates 5ms of pw, it will fuel at 10ms (10+0).

And so on and so forth.

This is a great feature for big cam and ITB cars where idle and light load MAP signals (speed density) dont indicate load well.
Alpha N is a VERY poor indicator of load, as the throttle is only an indicator of desired power, not the actual fuel need of the engine.
Since is some portions of the performance envelope speed density doesnt indicate well, and others, alpha N doesnt indicate well, a definable and smooth transition (in 3D) will allow a perfect compromise between the formerly separate fueling strategies.

HTH

#168 ·
TheArchitect said:
The TPSmix% cells define the ratio between using the MAP vs RPM map (speed density) and using the TPS vs RPM map (alpha N).

The range is 0 to 100.0%, and it allows you to tune each fuel map independently, then specify what percentage of each map you want to use at which regions of the performance envelope.

A value of 0% would mean to use 0% of the TPS (alpha N) map and 100% of the MAP (speed density map).
That is if the TPS map calculates 10ms of fuel pulse width, and the MAP map calculates 5ms of pw, it will fuel at 5ms (0+5).
A value of 50% would mean to use 50% of the TPS (alpha N) map and 50% of the MAP (speed density map).
That is if the TPS map calculates 10ms of fuel pulse width, and the MAP map calculates 5ms of pw, it will fuel at 7.5ms (5+2.5).
A value of 100% would mean to use 100% of the TPS (alpha N) map and 0% of the MAP (speed density map).
That is if the TPS map calculates 10ms of fuel pulse width, and the MAP map calculates 5ms of pw, it will fuel at 10ms (10+0).

And so on and so forth.

This is a great feature for big cam and ITB cars where idle and light load MAP signals (speed density) dont indicate load well.
Alpha N is a VERY poor indicator of load, as the throttle is only an indicator of desired power, not the actual fuel need of the engine.
Since is some portions of the performance envelope speed density doesnt indicate well, and others, alpha N doesnt indicate well, a definable and smooth transition (in 3D) will allow a perfect compromise between the formerly separate fueling strategies.

HTH
That does help for sure thanks!
There was no answer for the Accel adder in the config for Accel enrichment though...

this is the quote from the tuning manual that I was confused on:
"TPS mix table values should
be set to 0.00. Applications running individual throttle bodies with low intake vacuum, or
running the 5 BAR MAP will benefit from TPS tuning). The software allows tuning for
throttle position as a 3d table in the basic mapping pages. Tuning using the throttle
position input is exactly the same as the MAP based screens, however the mix table
allows you to define how much of each map (MAP vs TPS) gets used. If you enter
values of .5 in the TPS mix map, this will be the average of the calculated TPS value
and the calculated MAP based value. A value of 1.0 in the Mix table would use only the
TPS based values."

I have put in values in that table and worked on the fueling table to see the effects... interesting thing of note, values will start at 1.6, then 3.1, 4.7... I guess that is % of mix I would suppose right? I am guessing to make best use of this (and for mathematical ease to use easily divisible numbers and such as your description and then fine tune with more or less easily divisible numbers for finer control?

#169 ·
The Accel adder allows you to have additional fuel enrichment as a result of engine RPM acceleration.

Basically if the engine accelerates a higher rates, the engine sometimes needs more fuel to play "catchup".

This feature allows you to reconcile how on a dyno, you get different AFRs in a sweep while in one gear versus another.
Or another way, the fast RPM increase on a dyno can be compensated with this parameter versus steady state AFRs you may see on the highway.

The TPSmix values ARE in percent, looks like the tuning manual is treating 50% as .50.
The correct nomenclature is %.
The TPS gain fuel maps, are just like the MAP map, in that the gains are 0 to 2.0.

The "fine-ness" of the mix control should not be of concern so that both the MAP and TPS fuel gain "mapping" are both correct/close to where they should be at that load point. This is becuase theoretically the engine should work equally well running at 100% mix biased either to the TPS or the MAP.
In reality this is not the case, or the feature would not be needed, but if the fueling is more or less correct on both maps, there will be a large latitude of acceptable TPSMix% that will still make the engine fuel well.

What you will find is that your dependence on the TPS mix will change very rapidly as a function of RPM as the engine progresses from having poor vacuum, to having usable vacuum.
This means that yout TPS mix numbers will got from high percentages in the low RPM range (50+% below 2000rpm perhaps) toward low percentages (like 0%) as the engine transitions to a higher volumetric efficiency.

Also many ITBs can still be run pure speed density if each runner has a vacuum port, and all vacuum lines merge to a central mixing chamber (small amount of volume) before going off to the MAP port line on the ECU.
Do this right and your TPSMix% table will be all zeroes, or close to it.

#170 ·
So, I am finally getting the car to run kinda like it used to... for some reason, it didn't want to transfer from earlier firmware to the new firmware perfectly. But whatever.

New issue... Is it true that now that I have upgraded my tuning software, that my laptop will NOT communicate with earlier firmware versions??? I have a TON of clients that are running 034 of course. I need to be able to access their ECU's so that I can make adjustments as necessary. Is there any truth to this and if so is there a fix or something that I can do to get around this? Also, is there a fix in works for the highlighted cell while tuning on the main map?

#171 ·
Just copy and rename the original ecu882.exe file to ecu882_v101.exe, you'll just need to run the proper interface for your given firmware.

I have a half dozen software revisions on all the computers here.

#173 ·
Once screen shots are received it's generally a day or two.

#174 ·
Hi

Im running 60-2 and camsynck on cam, if i want to use the 135 flywell and tdc ref what to do with the syncksignal? There is only to sensor innlets in the ECU.Hall/vr

EDIT: 22. TRGB - Purple/White - Flywheel TDC trigger for sequential injection Not Used
for distributor ignition systems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.