Automobiles Forum banner

1984 Ur-quattro 20vt, 336whp 380 torques, 6-speed

119K views 562 replies 82 participants last post by  sepp 
#1 ·
So.. the ax has fallen and last November I was able to pick up not one, not two but three Ur-q for the price of one.

Here is the original ad:

"I have three Ur Qattros on the blocks...
1. 1981 Mars Red (yes an 81 from Europe) that is a rust free shell but has 90% of the parts brought in as a race car and not registered in Canada.
2. 1983 Silver first one delivered to Canada (I was told it was sold at Agincourt Autohaus) complete but has just sat for a really long time...
3. 1984 Red with Black leather... my dream car... has an 11 year old $10k+ strip and restore from the Audi dealer in Ottawa never hit perfect body with paint job that is documented and would make a new R8 jealous. Over $20k in new Audi parts are into it and all it needs is the Engine and trans to be dropped back in."

I was mostly interested in the '84 and rest was considered a bonus.
So... the '84 is already at the house, '81 sold to Mike Hopton and '83 sold to John Atkinson, both have their own pages on Motorgeek.

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37568
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33867

I had a low mile AAN sitting waiting for the SQ projest, but that can be few years away. I also have an RS2 harness and bunch of other bits.
Unfortunately this also means my 4kq tdi project is cancelled, I much rather drive around in a 20vt Ur-q than a 4kq tdi no matter how nice it would have been.

Here are the specs
- AAN engine rebuild with;
- Scat rods
- RS2 connecting rod bearings
- 034 coated main bearings
- ARP hardware all around
- Stock pistons and compression
- New gaskets and seals all round
- Cylinder head rebuild with:
- 034 Titanium Valve Spring retainers
- 034 HD Valve springs
- 034 Lightweight Valve lifters
- 034 High Output coil kit
- 034 Aluminum radiator
- New valve seals.
- 7A cams.
- Wagner Sport EVO exhaust manifold
- MTM intake manifold
- FMIC 28x9x2.5
- Gerrett GT3071r turbo with 3" V-band hotside.
- Controlling it is VEMS ECU via S2 ABY engine harness

Suspension
- Fully restored, blasted and powder coated sub frames, struts, control arms.
- New front and rear tie rod assemblies
- New ball joints, front/back (20v RR front)
- New bushings (alloy subframe, nylon control arm).
- New Bilstein HD shocks all around
- New Eibach (Sportwheel special) springs
- Compbrake solid strut mounts all around
- B4 upper strut brace

Brakes
- New sport quattro AP clipers with S4TT rotors down to 300mm (balanced afterwards).
- Fully rebuilt (including carriers) rear UrS calipers and new UrS rotors
- SS flex lines all around with ATE SuperBlue fluid
- Stock MC and new proportioning valve.
- All brake shields powder coated.
- New OEM hard lines all around.

Driveline
- 01E TDI 6-speed gearbox (DQT)
- 7A flywheel
- Southbend Stage 4+ Clutch kit
- 4.11 big rear end with new large seal.

Interior
- Orignal 1984 dash
- 4kq brown carpet in excellent shape
- Original seats reconditioned with Letherique products
- Euro Ur-q Green digidash with brand new OEM 20v harness
- B3 tripple gauges in the center console
- Brand new OEM radio
- Audi quattro 20v RR steering wheel
Exterior
- Original 8" Ronal wheels with new Yokohama ES100 tires
- European bumpers
- New original H4 and H1 headlights (quad) with like new bezels
- Fibreglass rear trunk lid.
- New Fuba manual antenna
- Proper pin striping, door rings and trunk decals
- OEM Yellow (French) fog lights

Here are few pics from the day I bought her:

This is going to be a third 20vt '84 in the area, Mike H and Craig C have the other two, Craigs build is here http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=12422, still waiting for Mike H to pull his finger out..

See less See more
#27 ·
Bit of an update, since first page is full of Ur-q projects.. ;)

Block is back from machine shop and crank is installed.
Just need to get the rods/pistons in in our next wrenching session.

As for the body, it's been a very busy spring for me but not on the car.
The only thing I managed is to install the rear smoked tails, tidy up the valance and get the trunk panels on.

Mike Sylvester was nice enough to supply me with some door rings and trunk decals, thos will be going on this weekend.
He also made up some under hood decals, but they won't see a working engine for a while.

MTM intake manifold is on it's way from Europe.. the Euro is great now for buying over there.

Subframe and suspension components are back from powdercoating so next week's project is to get the suspension back under the car so I can roll it out of the garage and powerwash the engine bay.

More to follow.

#28 ·
So, more updates.

Trunk compartment is all back together including spare wheel, rear bumper back on and the car is back on it's wheels.

Eibach/Sportwheels springs and Bilstein shocks topped with Compbrake top mounts. Subframes have 034 solid mounts. Brand new tie rods and RR control arms and ball joints up front.

Managed to get all of the trim back on around the windows etc.

Engine is back home and awaits the 6-speed from Europe.
Also the MTM manifold arrived, looking great.
Decided to go with a 28x9x2.5 intercooler up front, I hope I don't need any Vaseline to get this puppy in there.. ;)

Time is flying and I am loosing hope that this thing will see the road this year.
Still have the interior to go back in and obvioulsy the entire engine compartment needs to go back in. On top all the small stuff like fuel/brake lines etc. etc.

Good thing is I managed to get another set of Sport Q front calipers so those will be used instead of the Boxster units.

More to follow, and I promise to take some pics.

Cheers

#30 ·
Looks great so far! Are you going to keep the 15x7 R8's or will they be replaced with something else?

I wish I could get my hands on a UrQ shell, the 20vt in my CGT would be right at home. Then I could get a vanilla 20v and make my CGT more of a posh daily driver. Oh well, it'll get to stay aggressive as all hell for quite some time.

I look forward to see where this UrQ goes, it's definitely in good hands.

#31 ·
So, here are some pics

Back end almost all complete, just need the black backing for the plate area.

Trunk also complete, just missing the antenna, can't decide if I want the manual or the power unit.

Engine compartment powerwashed and ready for stuff to start going back in.

Suspension back on the car, all new shocks/springs and powdecoated struts/subframes.

Interior not so pretty yet, but slowly getting there.
I haven't found any brown carpet yet, doh! Might have to get the brand new black set in there.. not the end of the world.
Today I got couple of wiring harnesses back in and the floor is all done, now comes the fun part, getting all the shiny bits back on.

Cheers

#32 ·
Hello Martin:

Looking *very* nice!

Looking at your pictures.. What are you using for front tierods? I don't see the 'normal' urq 'inboard' adjuster anywhere, and I'd like to know if/how you made the passenger tierod end adjustable.

#34 ·
Katman said:
Hello Martin:

Looking *very* nice!

Looking at your pictures.. What are you using for front tierods? I don't see the 'normal' urq 'inboard' adjuster anywhere, and I'd like to know if/how you made the passenger tierod end adjustable.
Thanks

Well, since this is going to be a 20v I don't have to worry about the wastegate placement a'la 10vt, so this one happens to be a brand new 90q assembly with Rabbit/Scirocco tie rod end to match the strut taper. The driver side is a new stock 4kq assembly again with a Rabbit/Scirocco outer end.
It's nice to have new complete assemblies, for that kind of money you get nice new adjusters and new inner bushings to boot.

The typ 81/85 assembly does not have the funky bend in it and works just as well, Worldpac didn't have any at that time so I grabbed what they had on the shelf.

Hope this helps.

#40 ·
I thought about it for awhile and in the end gave away my two digidashes and decided to go analog. I'm just not convinced that the digital can keep up with a fast revving 20vt. That and splicing wires to make things work didn't sound like fun. I still think that it would be a nice touch in a moderately modded 20vt DD just not mine.

#41 ·
Well, that's the thing, my SQ will be the rally monster with Bufkin dash etc. But this is going to be a daily summer car.

I have a complete RR digi harness (new) and all the components ready to go.
I am not worried bout the digi not keeping up, I rarely look at the the tacho anyway, keep it in gear till it stops pulling or the rev limiter kicks in.. ;)

Cheers

#42 ·
If you have the harness all ready and it's just going to be a ~300hp DD, then I'd say go for it. They are unique and like you say so 80's. What color digi?

#44 ·
That digi goes up to usual I5 redline of 6500rpm at which point the entire rev counter starts to flash.
I used to have it in my 3B '85 Ur-q which originally came with a green unit.

I have both the green Euro and Orange US version. Now, which version shall I use?
Green digi has a neat feature of having the trip computer readout in German and has a boost gauge built in.. not good over 1 bar of boost though.. :(

CHeers

#48 ·
ralleyquattro said:
Dubbinchris said:
ralleyquattro said:
Might have to get the brand new black set in there.. not the end of the world.
Where is that avail?
Audi. Just sit down before you ask them for a price.. ;)
I picked up couple of sets when they were on a fire sale couple of years back.
Ah....so you have a spare then eh? :lol:

#49 ·
ralleyquattro said:
So now I am at a first crossroad... shall I stick with analog dash or go digidash?
I like the unique factor for the digi, it's so 80s, but at the same time most people prefer the analog (Scottish plonkers included ;)

Cheers
Analog :bump: :slap: the Scottish plonker has spoken.........

Looks great Martin. We're going to be twins when this is
all said and done.

Cheers,

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.