Automobiles Forum banner

My Audi 90 (B4) VR6 Turbo build

44K views 159 replies 50 participants last post by  kakemzje 
#1 ·
Car started getting dismantled last Monday...The car is at AMS Autowerks in Linden, NJ and they are making great progress on the car...They are trying their hardest to get it all done to bring down to Waterfest this year...I will try to post as much pics as I can of the progress, so here it goes.

First off, picture of my car

Dismantled motor, Block

Pic of motor with manifolds before accesories

Painted block and Adapter plate

Flywheel

Attached wastegate vband directly to manifold

Beginning of shaved engine bay

Turbo

Oil Cooler

Intercooler

Primered Engine Bay

See less See more
#58 ·
yes .82 atleast, that would seem to be the smallest you could go without feeling choked up top

#59 ·
Rocket SLC said:
Yeah, for that power level you will be happy with the .82. Who coated the pistons?
I got them from IE...not sure if they are the ones coating them or if it comes from JE like that

JonathanL said:
I have to say the paint and body work are stunning, care to tell whats involved with shaving the trim and/or where you took it?

Thanks,

Jon
It was a lot of work...he used a lot of 1 min plastic repair...AMS Autowerks in Linden, NJ

Now here is another question...should I stick with the 6262 or go with something bigger and better...such as a 6765...I am not a big fan of a lot of lag, but I would like to make some good hp...just to keep in mind, I will have horrible low end power because of the cams but it will be amazing up top

#62 ·
SonaxEvo2 said:
Also..I have a precision 6262 ball bearing turbo with a T4 .68 hotside...I plan on revving to about 8k...motor will be a 2.9...and really agressive cams...do you think I should go to the T4 .82 hotside or will I be ok with the .68?
i think i would be good with the T4 .68 man its about the same size as a t3 .82 housing, and that is perfect for a vr, the .82 will work also but little more lag, but i doubt u would notice the 68 choking, try them both and see what kind of power differences u get out of them,

and 288's will do work also, just make sure u got some major head work and check ur valve clearances and make sure u let the lifters bleed down for a little while before u crank it or it wont be pretty

#63 ·
dabeetereater said:
SonaxEvo2 said:
Also..I have a precision 6262 ball bearing turbo with a T4 .68 hotside...I plan on revving to about 8k...motor will be a 2.9...and really agressive cams...do you think I should go to the T4 .82 hotside or will I be ok with the .68?
i think i would be good with the T4 .68 man its about the same size as a t3 .82 housing, and that is perfect for a vr, the .82 will work also but little more lag, but i doubt u would notice the 68 choking, try them both and see what kind of power differences u get out of them,

and 288's will do work also, just make sure u got some major head work and check ur valve clearances and make sure u let the lifters bleed down for a little while before u crank it or it wont be pretty
Awesome, thanks for the help!!! Just to see what u think...I can sell my 6262 for a good price, it it worth getting the 6765? And what would be a good hotside for that turbo

#64 ·
personally i would just get like a holset hx52 but im cheap lol casue u can get them for less than 300 bucks, but id stick with the same hot side on the 67mm and i think u would be good, gonna need to keep it in the efficiency range cause a vr is not gonna flow up top anyways, and i bet it will hit full boost by 4500 ish,

#65 ·
Well I have finally got all my engine rebuild parts in and I have sent out the motor to the machine shop...hopefully it won't take to long because I am eager to get this thing on the road again...

Just one quick question...I have searched about the 01e swap but all the results I find are for coupes...anyone know what needs to be done to fit it in a B4...thanks in advance and once I get the motor back I will post up pics

#67 ·
SonaxEvo2 said:
Well I have finally got all my engine rebuild parts in and I have sent out the motor to the machine shop...hopefully it won't take to long because I am eager to get this thing on the road again...

Just one quick question...I have searched about the 01e swap but all the results I find are for coupes...anyone know what needs to be done to fit it in a B4...thanks in advance and once I get the motor back I will post up pics
Basically, theh b4 is the chassis the rs2 is based off of. The subframe is the same as the rs2, so mounts from that car will work on your car. The rear diff is 3.89, so you will either need to find an uber rare over here tdi box, or swap rear ends. The later is easier. The b5 s4 rear diff should fit without any modification, and then you just need to get the driveshaft from the same said vehicle IIRC. There is an guy on audizine that parts out s4s all the time, and I want to say they charge around 250 for the rear diff and 125 for the drive shaft. I'll try and dig up the link to the guy for you.

Good luck!

#70 ·
Yeah...I have a 2000 s4 trans, dif, driveshaft, And front and rear axles...I am just not optimistic about the driveshaft and axles working...as far as mounts go, I was just thinking about custom mounting...I figure that finding rs2 parts will be extremely hard

Do you guys think I need to get custom axles made?

#71 ·
If you have the s4 stuff there, it should be pretty easy. If the axles do not fit up front, then you can do what the b3 and b4 guys do, and just use either rs2 axles, or use 100mm cups from an older 016 transmission with your existing axles. The 01a you have in there now just differs in length, not width. Big power will eventually distroy the inner CV on your current axles, but you could do that as it comes up.

Make sure you grab the linkage from the b5 s4 as well. A simple cut flip and weld makes that go into the b3 and b4 chassis really easily.

Remember, the b4 is the hybrid of the b3 and b5. THe B4 has a b5 rear end with a b3 front end.

#72 ·
ShavedQuattro said:
If you have the s4 stuff there, it should be pretty easy. If the axles do not fit up front, then you can do what the b3 and b4 guys do, and just use either rs2 axles, or use 100mm cups from an older 016 transmission with your existing axles. The 01a you have in there now just differs in length, not width. Big power will eventually distroy the inner CV on your current axles, but you could do that as it comes up.

Make sure you grab the linkage from the b5 s4 as well. A simple cut flip and weld makes that go into the b3 and b4 chassis really easily.

Remember, the b4 is the hybrid of the b3 and b5. THe B4 has a b5 rear end with a b3 front end.
Awesome...thanks for the detailed write-up

#73 ·
In my b3 i used all b5s4 stuff and a JHM shifter and I actually needed to to some shifter tunnel clearanceing to get reverse and fifth to both work properly. Just a heads up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.