Automobiles Forum banner

Audi 90 quattro 2.5 TDI, now S2 Limo project

189K views 722 replies 88 participants last post by  jbrentd 
#1 ·
Barely finished one project and already knee deep in another.
Just finished pulling the motor and transmission out of my B4 90 quattro.
I was going to enjoy the V6 a bit longer but the water pump failed on it... and since you have to take the front end apart to get to it, might as well just yank it out.

Plan is

- 2.5 TDI, yes, the one that was supposed to go into my old 4kq.
- 6-speed transmission
- RS2 shift linkage
- RS2 transmission mounts
- S2 intercooler and crossmember
- RS2 front bumper for functionality rather than look (stock bumper does not allow S2 intercooler).

That's about all... sounds simple, we'll see about that.. ;)

Pics of the car before the swap:

Update, 2019 TDI engine blown, now the car is sporting an ABY engine as close to original as possible to make is an S2 Limo.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think this will be a great project and one that i would like doing. In fact I had to exercise some self control last year when you had this tdi for sale. It will make for a good DD/cruise/commute car. I commute about 80 miles a day so something like this would be very practical for me. It looks like you have a nice base car to start with also. Keep us updated!!

#4 ·
The engine was one year only 1990 Audi 100 tdi, starting 1991 the C4 cars arrived with AAT and ABP codes, ABP was identical to he 1T but had a vacuum pump and 115hp.
The AAT had both EGR and a MAF to meet more strict emission standards.

I looked into having the computer chipped, it is possible only by couple of people in Europe, one of them in Poland, goes by the ame Aligator on most of the tdi forums.
You can also go all out and install most of the stuff from later I5 2.5 tdi motors.

Main goal here is economy and simplycity.

Cheers

#6 ·
why not the v6 tdi? way more power!!!

#7 ·
varia said:
Keep us posted!

we really want to do a similar project, but the donor car will be an audi a6 (c4) wagon

why dont you try an s2 bumper? it will clear the s2 ic and much cheaper?
I already have the RS2 bumper (Rieger) and it cost me $100 new from RPI (had a small flaw).
The fogs and turns are Porsche 993 and bought cheaply used from a Porsche enthusiast forum ($200 for both sets).
Just need to make the mounting brackets now.

S2 bumper with all the grills fogs and turn signals imported from UK would cost me at least $700 if not more (got a quote today for 600 GBP).
If you can find me one cheaper I would consider, I do like the stock S2 look better.
Always had wet dreams regarding those rare S2 sedans ;)

Cheers

#10 ·
About the only V-6 TDI that is worth anything powerwise is the newer Common rail 3.0 motors. Most of the VE styles had camshaft issues and really don't make much. The I5 is an awesome engine, I also had serious contemplations with this engine when it was up for sale. I'll look forward to seeing this car to completion. Good Luck.

How close is the linkage and shifter setup compared to the 80Q? Would the RS2 stuff fit in my 80 too?

#12 ·
Well... since as of 10am this morning I am officially unemployed, I thought i'll get some work done on this project.. :slap:

Cleaned the engine bay, what a pita that was... good thing it looks semi-clean, otherwise I would be pissed.. :D

And this has got to be the cleanest southern Ontario subframe I've seen, most of them crumble up and fall apart by now BTDT twice at a junk yard, this car must have seen very little winter use.

Tomorrow i'll get the engine cleaded up and throw the 7A pan on... also try to remove the stock V6 wiring (you can see I cut the engine side already).

Cheers

#18 ·
Did some work finally, got the injection pump back on, took it off to clean the engine better.

Also this arrived this week (thanks Steve O).

After some grinding and swearing and some drilling we came to this.

They are held in with some sheetmetal screws for now, next will be welding them in.. I might ask Mr. Cook for his services, if I don't think my welds will hold up to the rigours and vibrations of the TDI.. :roll:

#21 ·
You sir are doing exactly what I wanted to do day one with my CQ. I wish it were easier/cheaper to import the 2.5 TDI engine, especially the one from the Crafter- same design but with common-rail management. :) Good luck and I'll be watching this one closely.

To the others out there, don't underestimate the power potential of the 2.5 TDI. 300hp is easy without even cracking the engine open, and the amount of torque at that level would be enough to pull a house down. :D

Brendan

#23 ·
More progress, moved onto the interior and harness swap.
After looking at the harness for several hours (minutes) it was clear that the proper way to install it is to remove the dash and HVAC, since I had to remove the pedal cluster anyway (more on this later) it was a no brainer.

What was a brainer was the PITA to remove the HVAC... that is one serious assembly... doh!

Here is the emptyness it left.

And here it is released into the wild.

I decided to change the heater core while it was out, however not sure replacing a stock German part with 150,000 km on it with a Made in China part is any better, time will tell.

Next came the pedal box...
Here it is..

Oops, I lost it..

Naah.. here it is.. poor little thing.. it's going to be made into a Honda or Toyota.. :( Unless someone wants one to mount on the wall.

And here is why the TDI pedals are different. The TPS sensor is mounted on the pedal box itself.. no throttle cable here.
This little gem is on it's way across the pond as I type this..

Looks like the clutch is at the post office, Mr. Cook will help out and supervise the welding of the motor mounts, and hopefully next week she'll be in there nice and comfortable.

One thing I don't have yet is the rad fan shroud, anyone have a plastic stock unit? I might splurge and get the RS2 unit, only if I can't find a stock one though.

Cheers

#25 ·
Moral support always welcome.

Hoping to have the engine/tranny in early next week.

Clutch arrived today and I am picking up the flywheel tomorrow.. it's a special gem, has 5 window casting in the back for the computer to read timing.

Here is the original for 016 gearbox.

The ABP and AAT also use the 5- window reference casting but have built in pilot bearing portion to allow use of 01E.

Notice the dish? Diesels like heavy flywheels.. ;)

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.