Automobiles Forum banner

Audi 90 quattro 2.5 TDI, now S2 Limo project

189K views 722 replies 88 participants last post by  jbrentd 
#1 ·
Barely finished one project and already knee deep in another.
Just finished pulling the motor and transmission out of my B4 90 quattro.
I was going to enjoy the V6 a bit longer but the water pump failed on it... and since you have to take the front end apart to get to it, might as well just yank it out.

Plan is

- 2.5 TDI, yes, the one that was supposed to go into my old 4kq.
- 6-speed transmission
- RS2 shift linkage
- RS2 transmission mounts
- S2 intercooler and crossmember
- RS2 front bumper for functionality rather than look (stock bumper does not allow S2 intercooler).

That's about all... sounds simple, we'll see about that.. ;)

Pics of the car before the swap:

Update, 2019 TDI engine blown, now the car is sporting an ABY engine as close to original as possible to make is an S2 Limo.

See less See more
#77 ·
ralleyquattro said:
You 4 cyl guys have ton of options, unfortunately since there are only so few of these 2.5s here I will have to go to the fatherland for some go fast goodies and ECU chipping. For now stock is the word.
If anything I have had my eye on a nice GT22V from a 151hp Eurovan.

Did very little today, that kind of a day.
Come on Pajak.........your slipping.

:slap:

#79 ·
Did quite a bit today, battery tray and battery itself is in and done, just waiting for the bulkhead connector.
Main propshaft is back in as well as the shielding, also did a bit on the exhaust.
Craig, do you have the Ur-q 10vt downpipe by any chance?
I used to have plenty but now I find myself with NONE!
Looks like the best fit, just need to blank off the WG connection.

Tomorrow need to finishup the fuel side of things and get some diesel in the tank.
Hope that connector shows up as well.

Cheers

#80 ·
scottmandu said:
80qtdi said:
About the only V-6 TDI that is worth anything powerwise is the newer Common rail 3.0 motors. Most of the VE styles had camshaft issues and really don't make much. The I5 is an awesome engine, I also had serious contemplations with this engine when it was up for sale. I'll look forward to seeing this car to completion. Good Luck.

How close is the linkage and shifter setup compared to the 80Q? Would the RS2 stuff fit in my 80 too?
I wouldn't knock the V6, I've been talking with a German who has one tuned to over 350 ps. Yes the cams are problemsome but so are the ones on the 4 cylinder. A replacement typically fixes the cam issue.
I guess I stand corrected with the V-6's. Very nice progress with your build. Quick question for you, how thick was the frame (on the b3 cutoff) where the frame motor mounts are? Kind of funny, I want to go to the B4 style mounts on my 80.

#85 ·
Martin,
Is that a standard piece for the battery cover, or did you have to make/purchase it separately?

Eric

#87 ·
It is a standard piece for the S2 sedan, wish I had one, but like all other parts from that vintage they are NLA.
Don't suppose I'll see an S2 sedan being parted out soon either, there were only 306 made!

The cabin vent is just underneath the battery, I can run a standard batery vent hose (like the ur-q or 5ktq) if I find it to stink too much.

Cheers

#88 ·
1wheelpeel said:
Quattro Krant said:
My contribution to this build will come when I give you the relay Thursday. Also, I want to RAPE Shannon in return for the relay. I'm talking bound and gagged in a french maids outfit style of raping
I hope this ends up on youtube for all to see. :lol:
I'm not talking literally, I'm talking figuratively. I want to get that bitch into a 4 wheel drift, smoke pouring off all 4, then put her away all wet and hot and bothered. Or maybe I do want to have sexual relations with his car, it is that good looking.

#90 ·
Very productive Saturday and morning today.

Friday I received the bulkhead connector which allowed me to hook up the battery cable on the inside and reinstall the HVAC... the momentum was there so the dash went in as well.. I must say, this job is a major PITA, the typ 85 cars are soooo much simpler in that department.

On Sunday I was able to borrow John A's (1wheelpeel) Ur-q downpipe.
Never been so dissapointed in my life! Doesn't fit. Too close to the manifold and hits the subframe

Ur-q

Stock

So.. for now stock it is. BTW stock is 2.25" while the Ur-q one is more line 2.5"

More on Wednesday, my son is going to have his toncils and adnoids removed tomorrow, not looking forward to it. :(

Cheers

#91 ·
More progress:

Finished the downpipe and connected rest of the exhust, the ear section still needs to be welded, but it's tacked together for now.

If you must know the pipe came from Ur-q it's the center section with the muffler cut off before the bend, can't believe how well it fits ;)

Also interior is looking more like an interior should.

For all the b3 guys, am I missing something??

And WTF is this plug?

That's all folks.

#94 ·
ralleyquattro said:
I added those myself, even though my car has the 1BE sport option it did not have the gauges, just the sport suspension and rear spoiler.
Does the new engine have the sensors for those gauges? Like oil pressure and oil temp?

Also, re battery relocation, did you use any circuit breaker? And where did you buy cables?

#95 ·
Craig (Highlander) got the cables for me long time ago, no clue where.
No circuit breaker, at least for now.
Yep, the engine has sensors for the gauges, previous owner added them in, stock 1T harness did not have the connections for the gauges so I'll have to run some seperate wires for the two sensors only.

#98 ·
The early IDI's got the tach signal from the alternator. Later TDI's had a crank sensor. I would imagine this 2.5 has a setup just like the gasser I-5's with the sensor on the flywheel ring gear.

Brendan

#100 ·
Lord_Verminaard said:
The early IDI's got the tach signal from the alternator. Later TDI's had a crank sensor. I would imagine this 2.5 has a setup just like the gasser I-5's with the sensor on the flywheel ring gear.

Brendan
Yep, flywheel sensor and the TDI Motronic (same 55 pin connector) sends the signal to the tachometer.
Pretty neat, just need to find out if the signal is generic i.e. no matter if it's 4-5 or 6 cyl or will I need to get a 5 cyl tacho from a B3.
Time will tell... hoping to start this engine by the end of the week.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.