Automobiles Forum banner

SOLD

656 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  94URS4 
#1 ·
Used bilstein rear struts. Mileage is unknown because they were on the car when I purchased it. They still ride great.

Have been told the fronts are not good due to the wear on the strut shaft itself so only the rears are available.

SOLD

See less See more
#2 ·
Is that just dirt/grease on the front pistons, or are they deeply gouged?

#3 ·
Theres a scuff on it. Its not deep it more so rubbed off the chrome.

#4 ·
94URS4 said:
Theres a scuff on it. Its not deep it more so rubbed off the chrome.
Sorry to say, but if the chrome is gone unfortunately the shock is toast. This isn't my opinion, it's Bilsteins. I sent a similar set in for rebuilding and they refused to touch the fronts. It may last a while, it may not, but sooner or later the section that's missing the chrome will kill the seal.

#5 ·
I will contact Bilstein and confirm.

So the roughness of the worn spot will wear the seal over time? Could I just polish that with a few different grad sanding bits to make it as smooth as the rest of the surface therefore eliminating the issue?

#6 ·
Do a Google search for Bilstein service- I'm not sure they have a phone #. For the rebuild service, you just ship the shocks to them and they eventually call you to discuss the rebuild and give you final pricing.

Anyway, according to them the worn spot will rust if the car sits for any length of time, and that (and/or the edges of the chrome) will eventually kill the seal. There's not much you can do about it per Bilstein. I asked if they could re-chrome the piston and they said that they didn't offer that as part of their repair/rebuild service- if one came in under warranty they'd just replace it with a new one. They just sold me another set of fronts and revalved them.

#7 ·
Ok well sounds like the fronts are no good then. That sucks to hear. Is it just a flaw in Bilsteins design?

If anybody wants the rears Pm me. Their still fine with no issues.

#8 ·
Bump for the rears.

$150 shipped.

#10 ·
#12 ·
Sold pending payment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.