Automobiles Forum banner

After run turbo pump delete

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  mr_aj_johnson 
#1 ·
How have people been deleting the after run pump on their AAN's?

I was thinking of removing it and connecting a hose in it's place to the inlet and outlet locations.

Also I was thinking of capping off both the heater return and water manifold connections and removing all the hoses for the pump.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
the pumps are not that expensive oem number is 034965561C

but if you find a bosch alternative (same pump but no audi number on) it might be cheaper, under 100usd
it is either 0392020039 with one notch on connector or 0392020024 with two nothces, can't remember how many oem has

#6 ·
I deleted mine by forgetting how the pump was supposed to be plumbed when I put the AAN into my 80. :lol:

Seriously... I think the best approach is probably just to block off the points where it connects. "Bypassing" the pump by putting a hose/pipe in its place would allow a small amount of coolant to bypass the radiator which may not hurt anything but sure won't help.

#7 ·
Kind of what I was thinking but doesn't coolant free flow through the pump anyways when the car is running? It seems to me that the flow would deadhead against the radiator/thermostat from the water manifold until the thermostat opened. Once the thermostat opened then the system would equalize and you would have as much flow through the radiator as you could anyways. The only bypass point would be downstream of the thermostat housing from the heater core return line.

Essentially by placing a hose in it's place you wouldn't change the flow dynamics of the cooling system (assuming coolant free flows through the pump which I believe is a centrifugal)

#8 ·
You could replace the AAN heater core return pipe with the 4000 pipe since it didn't have a ARP provision. Kind of thinking about a reliable water manifold plug scenario. Perhaps a small length of hose with a plug of some sort hose clamped within, with the other end on the end of the manifold connection???

#9 ·
Namreg Rac said:
Kind of what I was thinking but doesn't coolant free flow through the pump anyways when the car is running?
No... because it always flows through the heater core*. IIRC the pump is essentially connected in parallel with the heater core**, so you'd just be removing the much smaller of two flow paths. I think there's also an internal passage in the engine that lets coolant from the head flow to the thermostat area.

* I think. Does the UrS have a vacuum-actuated heater shutoff valve like the B3 cars with climate control? In any event, in cars like the 4KQ the heater flow could be stopped with the temperature-control valve, and there was no after-run pump, and they were okay.

** Not _exactly_ in parallel, but both take coolant from the discharge side of the water pump and return it to the suction side.

#10 ·
Namreg Rac said:
You could replace the AAN heater core return pipe with the 4000 pipe since it didn't have a ARP provision.
I'm 90% sure that's what I did on my car. Another option would be to find something metal like a bolt that fits reasonably well into the nipple for the pump hose, and weld/braze/solder it in there as a plug.

#14 ·
Just my 2cents, but I'd keep it. I left mine out on swap and regretted it- then re-installed it. IDK about you, but here in CA the pump really prevents heat soak after shutdown and without it temps will rise quickly after shutdown. It will be even worse if you're ever in a situation with shutting the car off/on semi-frequently. It was part of the reason I needed to have my head rebuilt because of the excessive heat - it's not too hard to wire.

#15 ·
removed it on the rally car. (10vt) tried using a short hose and a plug on the outlet off the back of the engine and it ended up being a failure point. Grab an outlet off a non equipped car and run that. (won't have the additional nipple)

I've also had an issue with another car where the afterrun system (fan I believe) got stuck/shorted/failed and started a fire in the fuse box. Fire started about 3 hours after I'd parked it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.