Automobiles Forum banner

Finally pulled the trigger - 1991 V8Q original 5 speed.

19K views 88 replies 14 participants last post by  toml99 
#1 ·
Been a lurker and a fan of the T44 & D2 for gawd knows how long. At leat 10+ years. Had a few chances to pull the plug on a few cars which never materialized because I wanted something pretty specific. A few weeks back I was chatting with a fellow Motorgeeker over PM and he said to me "stop procrastinating and get one soon"....you know who you are :). Funny enough, the opportunity came up, made some compromises (with color choice but not transmission) and pulled the trigger.

I purchased a 91 black on black V8Q original 5speed. The car needs work and will need to be towed to my house but its too close to home and the price was right enough for me not to let it pass by. I did have to sell one of my project tbirds to compensate for the purchase....but it's worth it. I exchanged payment with the seller, got the title and some literature and will be picking up the car within the next few weeks after I get it tagged in my name. The seller is an audi fanatic also and he provided AWESOME service history for the car...which I was not at all expecting and which absolutely made me feel great about the purchase.

More pix of the car soon but I wanted to rush and finally post as an owner and not just a lurker :). I guess I'll have to update my signature now.....that's with a big HELL YEAH!!! Now to pull out my v8Q wishlist of mods and upgrades and execute!

Teaser pix:

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome, welcome to the club, i have one and one of my techs at the shop has one too! Has yours been converted to a 4.2?
Let's see those pics bruh..

#3 ·
Oh yeah, I loved seeing this pic all the time

I'll be referencing the archived posts for info....but for starters can anyone confirm the battery size for the V8Q? Is it H6?

Also coming from the bmw world I was pampered by having a complete online parts catalog at free disposal. Is there anything like that for VAG or is the only option going with ETKA?

I guess I'll FINALLY put some use to these!! The V8 ones at least....still keeping my eye open for a 200 20V Avant :)

#5 ·
Welcome to the tribe. The correct battery is a group 93, but both my cars are sporting group 49's which is what lots of people use(recall it being a bit cheaper). Is that service manual set the updated one with Manual tranny info? If so...great. My paper set is from '90 so it doesn't show MT or 4.2 stuff. I've got a digitized version of the last version showing all. Now let's hear what it needs......Welcome, Tom

#6 ·
As the others have already said, welcome to the fold. 8) As for the online catalog, they are out there. If you prefer a hard copy, let me know.

Let's see some pics!

#8 ·
Hey Andrew! we definitely have to meet up man.

I didn't take any picture of the car when I saw it but have this one from the craigslist add. Black sport interior all stock that just needs some attention. Headliner was saggy. Exterior is faded on the top surfaces from sitting outside.

Not 100% sure what is wrong with the car yet...from my conversations with the previous owner it could be as easy as a throttle bearing issue. That's the sunny side scenario...but I'm going into the project knowing full well that worst case it may need engine replacement and maybe electrical work. We tried to start the car twice but the battery was dead...the last try I heard the engine crank over for a bit and there were no hell fire noises emanating from the engine bay (as if broken timing belt) so that's a plus. Down the line i want a 4.2L with a 6speed in there :)

Going over the service history the timing belt service was last done at 117k miles (but in 2001)...the car now has 156k in the odometer. How often is the recommended timing belt replacement?

Tom, thanks for the info on the battery size....I'll have to check my manuals to see if it has the info on the manual transmission.

#9 ·
If that's the pic of your car, it's Indigo Pearl just like my 5-speed.....better than black.

#10 ·
Timing belt interval for the 3.6 was 60K/7yrs and think(all my cars are 3.6) that the 4.2 was 75K/7yrs.....either way I'd check it before turning it over again. Pull the 2 10mm bolts off electric fan and lift it out of way. Remove the 2 allens holding the drivers belt cover on and you can then see how dried out the belt looks. Just turned 2016, so you definatly need a belt. My 5-speed threw a belt idling on the lift at shop right around 60K. Owner of indie shop manned up and ordered 2 new heads/mechanic ended up with it/I bought it from him. Many people have broken belts, so don't underestimate the damage that it will do if it goes. Check belt to see if it's safe to continue turning key, then starting fluid it and see if it sparks. Flywheel sensors are known problems, and might have a bad one and it got parked because of that. Book shows how to blink out codes with a LED bulb. Good luck and get that thing running....Tom

#11 ·
Lastly, did you buy that car from a guy named Ingo, or was it previously registered in Illinois?

#12 ·
Hey Tom, I think in the picture the passenger rear corner does appear to have a tint of blue...but I think it's just the picture. In any case I will double check when I have the car here. I believe the trunk has the sticker with the options and paint/trim codes no?

Looking into the list for timing belt job...looks like there is no way around it. I rather play it safe.

Today I was able to organize all the receipts I received and the car appears to have been originally a California car when new. Porsche dealer then sold it to a man from Minnesota, then it went to NY and the previous owner brought it from NY to Baltimore. No documentation from an owner named Ingo...although I do recall seeing that name in the emails from the V8Q mailing list.

#13 ·
Ingo had the only other Indigo Pearl one I knew of.

#15 ·
#16 ·
Fellers....I believe the consensus is that INA pulleys are reliable to use for the timing belt replacement, correct?

#18 ·
CaifanSC said:

....still keeping my eye open for a 200 20V Avant :)

It would appear you caught a serious case of the AUDI vapors ..... :D

#19 ·
95ninety said:
I used INA this summer on my timing belt job.... so, I hope so! :)

Also, Allan gave me a good tip for the water pump - use one from an ABZ as it has a larger roller.
Smaller drive pulley =faster impeller =more coolant flow at any given RPM
ABZ has a smaller drive pulley than the pt/abh

#20 ·
T44Avant said:
CaifanSC said:

....still keeping my eye open for a 200 20V Avant :)

It would appear you caught a serious case of the AUDI vapors ..... :D
You know it :) That usually happens to me...i get obsessed with a car, do tons of research and buy parts I find to be good deals...even before getting the actual car. I have an original dealer 1:43 model of the v8 in cyclamen...it's the Schabak version but not in Schabak packaging...its in the audi dealer package.

32vquattro said:
95ninety said:
I used INA this summer on my timing belt job.... so, I hope so! :)

Also, Allan gave me a good tip for the water pump - use one from an ABZ as it has a larger roller.
Smaller drive pulley =faster impeller =more coolant flow at any given RPM
ABZ has a smaller drive pulley than the pt/abh
ABZ is the v8 in the A8/S8 right?

#21 ·
toml99 said:
Is that service manual set the updated one with Manual tranny info? If so...great. My paper set is from '90 so it doesn't show MT or 4.2 stuff. I've got a digitized version of the last version showing all. Now let's hear what it needs......Welcome, Tom
Dag, I checked last night and no info on manual trans so my manuals must be for/from 1990.

#23 ·
CaifanSC said:
Hey Andrew! we definitely have to meet up man.

I didn't take any picture of the car when I saw it but have this one from the craigslist add. Black sport interior all stock that just needs some attention. Headliner was saggy. Exterior is faded on the top surfaces from sitting outside.

Not 100% sure what is wrong with the car yet...from my conversations with the previous owner it could be as easy as a throttle bearing issue. That's the sunny side scenario...but I'm going into the project knowing full well that worst case it may need engine replacement and maybe electrical work. We tried to start the car twice but the battery was dead...the last try I heard the engine crank over for a bit and there were no hell fire noises emanating from the engine bay (as if broken timing belt) so that's a plus. Down the line i want a 4.2L with a 6speed in there :)

Going over the service history the timing belt service was last done at 117k miles (but in 2001)...the car now has 156k in the odometer. How often is the recommended timing belt replacement?

Tom, thanks for the info on the battery size....I'll have to check my manuals to see if it has the info on the manual transmission.

You're the guy who beat me to it! That'll be a fun project for you.

#24 ·
I'll be referencing the archived posts for info....but for starters can anyone confirm the battery size for the V8Q? Is it H6?
You can use the H6, we use the AGM gel batteries in all our cars in that size. However, it is a taller battery than the 93 or 42 group sizes, so if you choose this size you want to cut out the metal bar that is in the rear seat directly above the posts. You can get away without doing it by using the positive battery post cover that comes with most German cars, but I shoose to be on the safe side and just remove that bar. it won't affect anything and a full grown person will be able to sit on the passenger rear without fear of shorting anything out. Why use the H6? Well they are less expensive and have more CCA's and reserve power than the 93 or 42 series batteries..

#25 ·
citationtech said:
You're the guy who beat me to it! That'll be a fun project for you.
Thanks mate! It's in good hands :)

nuugen said:
You can use the H6, we use the AGM gel batteries in all our cars in that size. However, it is a taller battery than the 93 or 42 group sizes, so if you choose this size you want to cut out the metal bar that is in the rear seat directly above the posts. You can get away without doing it by using the positive battery post cover that comes with most German cars, but I shoose to be on the safe side and just remove that bar. it won't affect anything and a full grown person will be able to sit on the passenger rear without fear of shorting anything out. Why use the H6? Well they are less expensive and have more CCA's and reserve power than the 93 or 42 series batteries..
Aha! So the H6 will work! Thanks for the confirmation Nuugen.

Went to MVA today to get the tags for the car. Maybe it will be here this weekend.

#26 ·
95ninety said:
Yea got it mixed up with the pulley size. It truly is better.

The ABZ came in the A8 and those digital manuals I (courtesy of Tom) sent you are the updated version
Thanks fellers! I'll be sure to get the A8 water pump for the timing belt job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.