Automobiles Forum banner

stwquattro´s 1985 Audi 5000 S Avant - The Yacht

27K views 66 replies 17 participants last post by  stwquattro 
#1 ·
In addition to my 1984 4000 S turbo quattro I bought a 1985 5000 S Avant in very good condition. It should become my daily driver...just for fun. For reaching my daily driver specs it has a quite cool option...the TDI conversion.
Engine is based on an Audi 80 B4 TDI - 1Z - 66kW/90HP...and its equipped with another Bosch fuel pump (P/N: 0460424124). It runs very good. Have to go on a dyno in near future. These days I´m into re-installing US-lights at the golden beauty. Taillights are installed...sidemarkers arrived from California. :)
Some impressions...

See less See more
#2 ·
wow! such an interesting interior! its like a mix of a early 4K, early 5K and then the newer 200's. with mechanically HVAC... and brown!

#7 ·
Thanks for your comments.
I bought this car in early January and right now i´m into preparing to get it on the streets.

I have to look for the current injector-setup.

Mileage is an important issue. I just could say what I expect. My A6 Avant with 5spd AFN went up to 45mpg...my Passat with 6spd AFN goes up to 43mpg. Both driven in mixed german traffic. My expectation for the 5000 S Avant TDI is at least reaching this value...even more mileage due to the lighter car. The very good mileage depends also on some effects at my cars. I always use 225/40R18 and 7.5-8x18 rims and I´m going on the Autobahn up to 100mph. So there is always an possible improvement. We will see and I will measure it for comparing it to my other cars.
Best way for reaching good milage is...small tires and low constant Speed. We did a journey with 3h/constantly 60mph and the Passat went up to 53mpg. Thanks to the 6spd-DQS-gearbox :)

Regarding the interior. The former owner also converted the interior with some Facelift stuff but remaining at the old seats. i LOVE them :) He re-installed the A/C...Manual A/C and the Switches work. Got to refill the System and look for leakages.

Thanks to Christian for recording the Video at pickin´ up the golden Lady :)

#8 ·
Some additional pics of the golden engine bay...

Intercooler should be from a Passat/A4/A6-installation...turbocharger seems to be the original one.
I´ll arrange some instruments like boost gauge and manifold air temperature, etc and then I´ll decide for possible improvement with some other parts.

#11 ·
Sweet T44! Going to need to remove that "Fuel Injection" badge though ;)

#12 ·

Mhh...yes. But if I translate it in the right way its not that wrong...due to the meaning that "fuel" means many kind of ...fuel :)
Maybe i´ll find another "diesel" badge and combine it with the "injection". We´ll see.

#14 ·
stwquattro said:

Mhh...yes. But if I translate it in the right way its not that wrong...due to the meaning that "fuel" means many kind of ...fuel :)
Maybe i´ll find another "diesel" badge and combine it with the "injection". We´ll see.
Yup, even more-so in the the boating world, fuel on a filler = diesel and Gas/GASOLINE is gas. It is also common to refer to diesel as "fuel oil".

#16 ·
I´ve had some free time at the weekend and got a bit more into rear axle issues. During buying the 5000 I recognized the new suspension at the rear axle. With a bit more investigation I found out that the shocks are adjustable in height. I chose the lowest setup... ;-)
Does anybody know those spacers above the springs? Are they original or some aftermarket stuff?

Getting closer to my daily driver status at the 5000 I installed one of the Typ43- and one of the Zender wheels. I´ll use the Zenders when I don´t need them at the 4000. :) They have custom made flat caps...with my own STW-logo. Should be fine and good looking...

#18 ·
Good morning...it´s 8.45am in Germany ;)
In my opinion there were/are quite much 4-lug 5000 in the US. The smaller engines/non-turbo´s had 4-lug suspension.

I have nearly all parts ready in stock to convert to 5-lug...but I love the Zenders and want to see them at the Avant. AND...the previous owner installed a pretty new brake system. After using it I might swap to 5-lug inkluding a new set of wheels. :)

#19 ·
Hey Folks.

Did some work at the 5000.
  • Finished wiring harnesses for the turn indicator/sidemarker Setup[/*]
  • modified front suspension [/*]
  • got it streetlegal with the current suspension/wheel/engine setup[/*]

I installed the grey springs - 40mm Lowtec - due to ist light engine its quite difficult to get her down on the streets. Removed the lower spring mount and re-welded it in a 30mm lower position. Therefore a 40+30mm lowering is reached.

#20 ·
Here we go...

The golden Lady is ready for the streets. Everything was approved and currently I use her as my daily Driver.
There are several small tasks to do...checking front Suspension for getting her closer to the ground. I re-installed the lower spring plate 30mm lower and she just came approx. 20mm. Maybe the very good gas pressured shocks prohibit the lowering.
In Addition I got another set of 7.5x17 ET35 wheels with 205/40R17. Rims are made by Rial/Postert.

#21 ·
...it has been an interesting week.

After having an "almost-engine-crash" on last Monday she is back in business since last Friday. Oil pump was blocked by a small cast Piece of the camshaft. Someone set Timing belt and forgot the sunk key at camshaft and turned the engine.
The broken Piece fell down into oil pan and was sucked by the oil pump. This was blocked and therefore the intermediate shaft was also blocked. This damaged the back side of the timing belt. We went on with cleaning the gears...re-adjusting the engine with a new timing belt and the engine started :)

Besides this I got an additional set of rims...7.5x17 ET35 Rial/Postert with 205/40R17 84V Dunlop.
I love them.

#22 ·
Hi Folks.

I enjoy cruising with the golden Lady. Did some calculations regarding the fuel consumption. I´m at approximately 5.9l/100km which is 50mpg. This value includes absolutely no "driving carefully"...but it includes rather "having a lot of fun - leaving smoke at the streets". :)

Improving the System is always the main issue and therefore i exchanged the exhaust System.
Left one is the old 50mm suuuper-custom-exhaust-whatever ;)
Right one is the good old 60mm exhaust-system from my 10VT-donator...a 1984 Audi 200 Turbo. We just modified the downpipe in that way, that the exhaust gases will be guided from TDI-Turbo straight to the lower part of the old 10VT-downpipe. I´m looking forward hearing it. If there is some spare time, I´ll modify or remove the last muffler. We´ll see...

In Addition I installed a proper air filter. The unused space will be used by the new full-aluminium-intercooler which ensures a very short piping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.