Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Javad,

It looks like I'll very soon be biting the bullet on 034 IIc and a header, but I need some advice on a few parts…

The subject will be my 83 urq with its stock WX. It currently has a Lehmann ECU and stronger WG spring. It makes good power, and has a fairly huge amount of lag unless it's on the boil. It sounds silly, but I enjoy the wait. Actually, it's not the wait I enjoy. It's the very sudden onset of boost after the wait that I like. Is that a trait of the K26?

My plans for now are to convert the car to stage IIc, add your header and keep the stock turbo and intercooler (for now). By keeping the stock turbo, that means I'll have to order your header with the KKK flange vs. the Garrett. Is this wise? Will a K26/T4 by noticeably inferior to a T3/T4 or a T4?

What amount of boost will be safe with stock turbo and intercooler? I think I'm running about 1bar now, but through a more convoluted intake and exhaust. I seem to remember your mentioning that I should be safe up to 250HP or so. Would that equate to about 1bar?

You're developing Audi crank position sensor compatibility, right? Will I be able to use the existing sensor on the flywheel, or will I have to add another one somewhere else?

The exhaust system is 2.5" with only the rear muffler. At what power/boost level is that likely to become a restriction?

Cheers,
Brady

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hi Javad,

It looks like I'll very soon be biting the bullet on 034 IIc and a header, but I need some advice on a few parts…

The subject will be my 83 urq with its stock WX. It currently has a Lehmann ECU and stronger WG spring. It makes good power, and has a fairly huge amount of lag unless it's on the boil. It sounds silly, but I enjoy the wait. Actually, it's not the wait I enjoy. It's the very sudden onset of boost after the wait that I like. Is that a trait of the K26?
Yes, the WX K26 isn't the most efficient K26, which all suffer more or less from inefficiency. Its also a function of your 7:1 compression ratio, the MC motors spool up noticeably better.

My plans for now are to convert the car to stage IIc, add your header and keep the stock turbo and intercooler (for now). By keeping the stock turbo, that means I'll have to order your header with the KKK flange vs. the Garrett. Is this wise? Will a K26/T4 by noticeably inferior to a T3/T4 or a T4?
The KKK flange is fine, the T3 flange is nice becuase overall the Garrett turbos are less expensive and more plentiful, but the 034 k26/T04E is a really nice turbo, easily capable of 400+hp

What amount of boost will be safe with stock turbo and intercooler? I think I'm running about 1bar now, but through a more convoluted intake and exhaust. I seem to remember your mentioning that I should be safe up to 250HP or so. Would that equate to about 1bar?
Yes, that's about right, you'll just want to keep an eye on intake air temps. The more power you make, the more that IC will become a problem, obviously.

You're developing Audi crank position sensor compatibility, right? Will I be able to use the existing sensor on the flywheel, or will I have to add another one somewhere else?
Yes, I'm currently working some bugs out of it, but the idea is that soon you can run off the stock flywheel sensor and a hall sensor replacing the TDC trigger, or you can mount a 60-2 wheel to the front of the crank pulley. I'm hoping to have the flywheel setup worked out in the next month or so.

The exhaust system is 2.5" with only the rear muffler. At what power/boost level is that likely to become a restriction?
Well, technically you'd probably be fine with it up past 250 HP or so, its a pretty nice exhaust, but pushing 300hp I'd say defintely upgrade the mufflers, just use 1 2.5" thru-muffler, I like Borlas, the pipe will be ok past 300hp. Or, you could just go full 3", there is nothing like a really free flowing exh. on a turbo car, it helps everything.

HTH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts