Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question for those of you who have already converted...

When you 'rip-out' the stock fuel and ignition systems... ...was it easy enough to have all the factory stuff still work okay?

- remaining sensors
- trip/other computers
- not having it shoot codes at you
- etc, etc, etc

or do you basically have to kiss all that stuff goodbye...?

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Fortunately the engine management, and dash/autocheck sensors are quite independant from one another. All your gauges and autocheck warnings will work for things like oil temp/pressure, water temp, etc. You will lose your trip computer fuel consumption information however. Normally the trip computer takes a reading off the stock potentiometer on the CIS distributor, wich is gleefully ripped out in the conversion. Thats about all you 'lose' though, well worth it :)

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
This is also assuming you're keeping any of the stock wiring for engine management, in my 80tq, I'm not using one factory wire or system to control any aspect of engine management, fuel pump control, tach signal, etc. Just leave the stock engine harness in place for the Autocheck system, alternator/battery wiring, speedo sensors, etc, all those systems have their own independent wiring that isn't affected by pulling the ECU harness wiring from behind the dash.

Hope that's clear, let me know if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
JShadzi said:
This is also assuming you're keeping any of the stock wiring for engine management, in my 80tq, I'm not using one factory wire or system to control any aspect of engine management, fuel pump control, tach signal, etc. Just leave the stock engine harness in place for the Autocheck system, alternator/battery wiring, speedo sensors, etc, all those systems have their own independent wiring that isn't affected by pulling the ECU harness wiring from behind the dash.

Hope that's clear, let me know if you have any specific questions.
Since you have experience with implementing the IIc in a coupe quattro I will have to seperate the harness and keep the wiring from the independent systems but eliminate the ECU and the related engine management, fuel, tach etc. correct? (I'm putting in a 3B 20vt btw) 034 eliminates the motronic ecu completely?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like someone's been using the 'search' :wink:

(this is like my first post in forever...I'll go back to lurking now :D )

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
audilard said:
Since you have experience with implementing the IIc in a coupe quattro I will have to seperate the harness and keep the wiring from the independent systems but eliminate the ECU and the related engine management, fuel, tach etc. correct? (I'm putting in a 3B 20vt btw) 034 eliminates the motronic ecu completely?
Yes, that's basically it, just leave the wiring that you still want to use, cut out any that you don't, the systems are so independent you won't have any trouble with it, BTDT a more than a few times now.

HTH!

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
JShadzi said:
Yes, that's basically it, just leave the wiring that you still want to use, cut out any that you don't, the systems are so independent you won't have any trouble with it, BTDT a more than a few times now.

HTH!
Thanks for the response. This helps me conceptualize this much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts