Automobiles Forum banner

034motorsport AL flywheel ring gear failures

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  88a5tq 
#1 ·
So I had my ring gear get destroyed with less than 2000 miles on the 016 aluminum flywheel. Can anyone relate? Hearing bad things about the metallurgical properties of these ring gears, especially with VR6 engines. Am I unlucky? Stop in and drop a line. thanks.

#4 ·
It "should" still start. I broke a ring gear tooth on my 7a engine in my coupe & it would still start but made quite a racket. There were no adverse running issues with the tooth broken off either. I needed to replace the starter as well as the flywheel when it came time to fix it.
Chris

#5 ·
That's interesting. I bet I got the spark plug wires confused on their order. This was after switching out ECU's with COP so I only had the cap order correct. I spent a good amount of time on figuring out the order but I suppose it could've been off somehow. Thanks for the heads up Chris.

#6 ·
We've had very, very few issues with these on stock setups, only ever seen some breakages on the custom apps with starter engagement issues. Most common other cause is FOD getting in between the gear faces. Shoot an email over to customer service and we'll work on getting a replacement gear installed on there.

#7 ·
88a5tq said:
That's interesting. I bet I got the spark plug wires confused on their order. This was after switching out ECU's with COP so I only had the cap order correct. I spent a good amount of time on figuring out the order but I suppose it could've been off somehow. Thanks for the heads up Chris.
Um... did you have a backfire perchance while getting your spark plug wires straightened out? I knocked the teeth off when my ignition distributor got wet & the engine backfired on startup.

#8 ·
No didn't get anything from it... not even a hiccup. But that is crappy. I was trying to figure how you lost more than one. I've had a new starter since about a month before installation. Thanks newt I'll do that.

#9 ·
Ive experienced a similar problem, except with the 19.5lbs I5 flywheel from 034

Attachments

#11 ·
the only logical explanation is this....
but then it makes me wonder, what cause the starter to fail like that?

Attachments

#13 ·
i think that is the best logical explanation... anyways, ordered a new ring gear from 034 for about $100... but this whole fiasco caused me to pull my engine out and start a rebuild/build up process... now have to have the flywheel rebalance and resurface again :-S so more $$$ :-(

#14 ·
At least it didn't blow up a $1500 trans and parts of the block like I've seen it do before

#15 ·
GT please don't talk like that lol! Ya the biggest consideration of getting a new ring gear is that it MUST be remachined and balanced upon receipt. I opted for an all new flywheel in my case. Still have the old one. I eat pieces of sh!t for breakfast off of it now :D

#16 ·
The only time I have seen failures like this were due to timing issues and way advanced timing figures while cranking. What engine managment system are you running? Stock or stand alone? If you have a stand alone, I would check your start settings.

#17 ·
my setup is a little strange. its a 60-2 19.5lbs steel flywheel with CQ SPEC stage 2 pp/clutch disk and this is mated to a 12v V6 2.8l, and the only thing regarding engine management is a 034 RIP chip with stock and 1+ maps on it. so i dont think its a timing issues.
and GT, dont scare me like that... :(

#18 ·
Usually overly advanced timing can cause the motor to kick back and break starters and knock teeth off. Had a customer with a vette and accell dfi long story short he pulled his distributor and when he put it back in he didn't get it set right and broke like three starters

#19 ·
ow yeah:) I've had my knee placed in to my chin before by ukrainian dnepr motorcycles with kick starts, do to timing being too advanced. and that did not feel good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.