Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering going to efi and just want to hear from some did it or is doing it.What did you guys use for the conversion and was it worth it.My 5000 is still on cis and I am gonna have to put some money into it or go efi.
thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanne run 250 to 280 hp reliable for now then maybe more later.she is a Sunday driver and the odd trackday/autocross/ 1/4mile
The thing is that I know I will always want more power and I dont want to dump money into cis and then go efi anyway.

I am keeping an eye out for a nice 4000 that I want to swop the engine into but its hard to find around here.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I would say not worth it unless you plan on upgrading the stuff to the level in which the stand alone ecu is required. I see a lot of people throwing a lot of time and money into a 10vt to make 220-250 hp. such a waste unless the goal is 280+++

·
Registered
690 Posts
That's the point I hit, new CIS injectors push the cost close to efi just to get you at a good starting point so I just went over to megasquirt. I think if you plan it right you could easily do it in a weekend for pretty cheap. You can read through my project thread, I have one here but it's not as complete as this one http://the" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; projectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=172 (remove space for link to work) feel free to pm me if you have questions, always happy to help and a megasquirt 1 fuel only setup is cheap, cake to setup and easy to add ignition control to whenever. It's a really great way to get your feet wet in tuning and standalone in general.

And pkw, my car runs way better on megasquirt than it ever did on CIS. A set of injectors probably would have fixed most of my remaining problems but I have $350 into necessary conversation parts. Plus ease of troubleshooting and repair and you get to lose all those terrible 25 yr old rubber boots and hoses and stuff

·
Registered
690 Posts
Also note 99% of my megasquirt problems are from being built by an idiot as bought second hand and could be avoided by you/anyone competent building from scratch

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
vt10vt said:
Also note 99% of my megasquirt problems are from being built by an idiot as bought second hand and could be avoided by you/anyone competent building from scratch
lmao

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the potential of a 10vt on efi with boost at 18psi(or whatever I can get from the stock turbo) ,mc2 cam,3inch exhaust and a bigger intercooler. Basicly everything before headwork is needed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My '84 4ksqt 10vt w/K26, 3" exhaust, URQ IC put down these numbers at the wheels on 034's dyno last year. It may not be the fastest Audi in these parts, but it is pretty damn quick and a real blast to drive.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Peter Rsa said:
I wanne run 250 to 280 hp reliable for now then maybe more later.she is a Sunday driver and the odd trackday/autocross/ 1/4mile
The thing is that I know I will always want more power and I dont want to dump money into cis and then go efi anyway.

I am keeping an eye out for a nice 4000 that I want to swop the engine into but its hard to find around here.
IMO, it's crucial that you identify what your end goal for the car is. If you truly want a 250-270hp toy, then you may have found your car. However, when you say things like, "I will always want more power," I get the impression that you're going to be looking for 300+hp eventually. There's nothing wrong with that, but when you start talking about those larger numbers, making the power gets more and more expensive, as you said. It's also important to recognize that EFI on a 10vt is not a complete "fix" that's going to make it a 500hp monster. It takes a large number of supporting elements to start making the larger power numbers, and dollar for hp, it's not a very good canvass to start with.

I can't tell from your sig, but it seems possible that you haven't even chipped the car yet. If you haven't, I can't recommend it enough. It is incredible what nothing more than a chip and a strapped IC does to a 10vt--and the first time you gas it you're guaranteed to be surprised. With just those minor modifications it's reliable as hell and cheap.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason I'm asking about efi is I am at the point where my cis needs injectors to start and who know what else as I don't know what was done to the car previously.Its boosting 14-15 psi and has some detenation issues.
All fuel pressures measure good and no vacuum leaks

I am more interrested in what systems the guys who done it already used ,and what their setups are

·
Registered
563 Posts
Apparently you can use the non-air shrouded injectors and just fit the air shroud nozzles from your old injectors to them. These are around $160 for the set instead of like $350.

EFI unlocks potential for more power but it will always take way more time and money that just fixing the CIS.

I would start out with wideband O2 which you will need whether or not you go EFI.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was wondering about that.Do I use the existing wires and the out put of the stock fue pump relay to turn my new relay on and offf?

Edit:air/fuel gauge ordered

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wideband installed.Haven't really driven much since I am having a brake issue.After you drive for a while and use the brakes they stay on.No air in system and no seized calipers. :? J

Back to my 02- at 10 psi boost air/fuel reads 12-12.5. Haven't had time to do more test.What is the magic number I want 14.7?
I want to know more about the fuel pump relay , should I just use ign. as my trigger?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
for 10psi 12.5-12.9 should be great. For higher boost your ratio looks real good. for really pushing it 11.7ish is good. I would guess you can raise the boost 12-14psi and see if you are still about your current, 12-12.5 a/f. If that looks good and you need more I would try some h2o/meth injection and some form of fuel enrichment. read up on cis tuning. 18 on cis is really doable.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.