Automobiles Forum banner
1181 - 1200 of 1216 Posts

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,181 ·
Getting our first snow of the season here in South Central PA... I really expected it to blow right past like all the early storms normally do, but I was wrong! I haven't fixed the CV boot yet, and didn't bother to change over to snow tires. Once again, no playing in the snow for David...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,182 ·
So it has been a while. Nothing really happening with the bandit this winter, as I have been slowly working in the CQ. Last night we were kind of slow, so I decided now was time to do something for it!

I have a rather large 58mm turbo with a #8 hot side. I also have an Audi K26 #6 housing laying around. I wondered if I could make the big turbo fit into the smaller housing. Seeing as lots of people have them machined for HX35s, I figured I would give it a go. I made a chucking fixture and went to town. I made all the dimensions the same as the #8 housing. I had to take about .300" out of everything!

Unfortunately, I found out that this particular housing is cracked...

It will have to do for now, it's all I have. As you can see, some of the volute has.been machined away. The #8 housing has been ground to make it have a full circle again. Is this necessary? Might be a dumb question, but I don't know. Pic shows ground area

The final result...

While it does appear to fit, it in fact does not. It appears I have cut the wrong radius in the back, so I need to put it back up and address that. It doesn't seem to be hitting by much, but hitting is still hitting. I'll update when I can.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,183 ·
I may have the greatest neighbors ever! We are very much alike, and have no problem helping each other out when needed. He made this for me in his sign shop as a thank you!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Can he make more of those for sale? I'd totally buy one (assuming it's affordable)! And I suspect I'm not the only one by a long shot.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,185 ·
Sorry, but no. I'll email you to explain why.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,186 ·
So tomorrow the new tires for the bandit should be here! They are classified as an "all season," but with the very straight line tread, I don't see how! They will be mounted on the borbet's from the CQ, and the CQ will be getting the Cab/80 comp wheels.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,187 ·
The tires took an extra day to get here, but they did show up. Accelera PHI-R 215/45/16. Fairly soft compound. We shall see how well they hold up.

I took the borbet's off the CQ and cleaned them up.

Got the tires mounted up today and on the car. Quick trip around the block to settle the suspension. I like the look of the semi dished 5 spoke wheels more than the 6 spoke cab wheels

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,189 ·
They were on the coupe when I bought it. They are a borbet wheel, but don't know what model they are.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,190 ·
That was an easy search... They are borbet type E wheels

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,192 ·
Well it's been a while, but finally have something to post again. I've been having some major sync loss issues lately. Know that I'm running a hall sensor on the trigger wheel, up front, I doubt that's it. It does it after it gets hot, so I'm figuring the hall sensor in the dizzy is going bad. It's an MC2 dizzy, so figure 1990 ish for build date.

I found a new dizzy on amazon by MTC. Listed for "Audi 5 cylinder". I figured for the $23 shipped amazon wanted for it(normally $83) figured it was worth the gamble because the 200 2.2l was listed. Well it came in as a 5 window, so no good there. Now it's in pieces, waiting for me to pull the dizzy from the car and swap shafts.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Two things:
1. A dizzy for $23... damn! I suppose it must be Chinese but that's still crazy short money.

2. Doh! I knew you'd been having sync losses and were concerned about the sensor in the dizzy but never put 2+2 together and realized you were thinking the sensor was responsible for the sync losses. Sorry to say I'm pretty sure that's not the case... I think the MS uses the cam sensor to establish engine position during cranking/starting then from that point forward relies on the crank sensor only (although it may use the cam sensor to resync if sync is lost). It should be pretty easy to test... start the engine, then with it running, pull the plug on the dizzy sensor. I think you'll find the engine continues running just fine.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,195 ·
Well, I'll have to try that. I assumed the crank and cam sensors were used the whole time.

As for the dizzy, it was really cheap! I was looking at them for $83 then suddenly an amazon listing popped up for "last one, $23." Figured at that price I really couldn't lose. It uses the smaller more modern sensor, but that should be fine I would think. That if the swap is needed that is...

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,196 ·
Well as Eric stated, I pulled the plug from the dizzy after it was running, and it stayed running...

So this happened.

Had to pull the whole front end and intercooler to get to the crank damper. I've always thought that maybe this trigger wheels "missing teeth" were too tall. They are just shallower than the OD of the trigger wheel.

Not a great pic but you get the idea

I also found one of the alt bracket bolts was completly backed out and just chilling in the bracket. Yes, I know, I need to get PS hoses, that's the leak you see on everything..

There is also a small amount of oil in the intercooler plumbing. Enough that I felt the need to wipe the small pool out of the coupler when I took off the intercooler. Looks like the seals on the turbo may be going bad. Good think I have the hybrid to put on it haha.

My uncle killed my dremel, so I spent some time figuring out what happened, and now I'm tired. I got the dremel working again, and waiting on a reply about cutting that area down some. Now it's time for bed.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,197 ·
Not much to report on the bandit unfortunately. I haven't done much with it. I need to order a new crank sensor, and a male 3 pin JPT connector.

On a different note though, I finally got a Tig welder!

AHP AlphaTig 201XD. They brought the price down to $640, so I decided now was the time to buy. It comes with a #17 and #9 rotaflex torch, but I'm not so sure I like it. I may change it out for a standard #9 flex head torch.

There were some reports of these showing up DOA, so I wanted to get it tested as soon as it showed up. I'm going to have to "relearn" how to use this welder on AC. I'm used to the old style transformer welders I use at work. All in all, not bad for a cold piece, and learning how to set it up I think.

Hopefully this means I'll be able to make some more interesting things here at home for the bandit!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nice. I have the 201 also but right before they updated the to the nicer pedal

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,199 ·
Interesting, I though I read one of the biggest updates with the 201 was with the nova pedal.

·
Registered
582 Posts
DE80q said:
Interesting, I though I read one of the biggest updates with the 201 was with the nova pedal.
The did the swap like around april 2019 if I recall

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

1181 - 1200 of 1216 Posts