Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do the 12v v6's have an aluminum block? and would they be a good swap motor? any weaknesses or other things to know about?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Iron block, great platform for a twin turbo though, pretty cheap and plentiful to play with. But then there's the 30v you could play with too, hmmm....

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
who needs em? a few tools that most of us guys have and there will be two nice turbos sittin' pretty on the v6.
speakin of turbos on a v6, would two t3's work or would they be too big?

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Wizard-of-OD said:
question....who would have manifolds fro the V6?
Not sure if the 2.7t manifolds would bolt up, probably not. Like Derek said, making a couple of three tube headers would be real easy. God knows the thought has crossed my mind more than a few times. I'm to addicted to the I-5 though, that WOT rip with the header and turbo spooled is something to behold. :bump:

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the sound of the 5 cyl too. in the small town where i live, there is an old porsche mechanic who, every time I drive by, stares at my car and gives me a nod. he caught up to me once when i stopped at the napa, checked everything out,he digs my car big time. also, about the sound, when i drive through my town late at night when there's no other traffic, it resonates like crazy through the whole town, If i get caught(late at night) by one of our 8 officers, i'm sure to get a ticket :D .
for a sound example, where my house is, you can see down into the center of town,it's like a quarter mile. in the dead of the night you can hear diesel pickups no problem. so I can just imagine the havoc my car wreaks on the senior citizens sleep habits when I go rumbling through 8)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does the 12v v6 use the same valves as the 5cyl head? and what about pistons and rods, are the interchangeable like the v8?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, the reason i ask is that, the guy who was making me the titanium valve retainers was selling 12v retainers, and he said the wouldn't interchange, so.......

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, valves lengths are different, stroke and bore are the same so many components do interchange, but some don't.

Making the V6 headers woulnd't be too tough, in fact you could easily use the stock manifolds and weld new flanges to them or run an "Up Pipe" to a turbo in the fender. It would be way easier to start with a B4 V6 car no doubt becuase you'd have all the radiator and subframe, engine mounting stuff sorted out, but the reality is that everything should bolt into a T89 as well, the whole front end will, and I'm not sure but I might even guess tha the motor mounts line up pretty close too.

The real advantage is the displacement, 2.8l, I think you could make 400hp quite trivially in that motor with maybe 15psi boost.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i need two more 4kq's, well, maybe three. one for a 12v v6, one for a 30v v6, and one for a 3.6 v8, any body have some extra quattro's layin' around for cheap :wink:

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe i should ask you, why don't you go 4kq? it's called personal preference. that's what makes the world go round. i saw the pics of your urq, while it looks good, those chrome wheels you had on it are not my style. I like unassuming, stuff that if you don't recognize what it is, it just might take you by surprise. you also commented somewhere that clear corner markers were" too early 90's" and that you wanted crystal clear markers for your b4, those too aren't my style. i like fairly square body lines that define one car from another. everything keeps getting smoother,rounder,and more aerodynamic. while that's all fine and dandy for a lot of people, i personal prefer most of the european cars from the 80's, the peugot 405 mi16, the alfa 156's, the urq's,sport q's, sec coupe benzes, the vw gti's and jetta gli's,etc,etc,etc. i had one of those 405 mi16's and man lemme tell you what, that's a fun car, I could burn through corners just as good as 4kq and it was all stock.
the whole point of my ramlings is that you and I are free to do what ever we wish when it comes to buying and fixing up our cars, i plan on taking advatage of that.
when you get your b4 done, take a cruise up to my neck of the woods and we'll go for a drive, bicker about the differences between our models, and critique' each others choices in style and so forth, how's that sound?
til then keep doin what you do best and i'll do what i do best...............

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
derracuda said:
maybe i should ask you, why don't you go 4kq? it's called personal preference. that's what makes the world go round. i saw the pics of your urq, while it looks good, those chrome wheels you had on it are not my style. I like unassuming, stuff that if you don't recognize what it is, it just might take you by surprise. you also commented somewhere that clear corner markers were" too early 90's" and that you wanted crystal clear markers for your b4, those too aren't my style. i like fairly square body lines that define one car from another. everything keeps getting smoother,rounder,and more aerodynamic. while that's all fine and dandy for a lot of people, i personal prefer most of the european cars from the 80's, the peugot 405 mi16, the alfa 156's, the urq's,sport q's, sec coupe benzes, the vw gti's and jetta gli's,etc,etc,etc. i had one of those 405 mi16's and man lemme tell you what, that's a fun car, I could burn through corners just as good as 4kq and it was all stock.
the whole point of my ramlings is that you and I are free to do what ever we wish when it comes to buying and fixing up our cars, i plan on taking advatage of that.
when you get your b4 done, take a cruise up to my neck of the woods and we'll go for a drive, bicker about the differences between our models, and critique' each others choices in style and so forth, how's that sound?
til then keep doin what you do best and i'll do what i do best...............
i like this guy bad bad....
i had a 405...ye they handle good but nothing like tossing an Audi.
I sold those chrome things...was a phase.Got OZ F1 CUPS now....

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i suggest you get a pic up soon :wink: oz f1 cups.......now were talkin'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts