Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1990 CQ20vt, 07 A4sline2.0t... Gone but not forgotten, 88 90Q, 99 a42.8, 98 a42.8 PESg2, 00 A41.8t
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello world, I've been lurking for quite some time and this forum along with others has helped me countless time along the way. So i figured it was time to post my project finally. Yes this is my first engine swap, i do have some experience with cars but nothing to this degree so much of this is learning as i go.

Picked up my dream car since i was 12 about 2 years ago, 1990 Coupe Quattro. It's a Cali car, no rust, no accidents, pretty solid condition. Never thought id actually own one so when the chance popped up I jumped on it.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

Much has happened since these photos so ill start at the beginning i guess.

Shift boot was the first, had to.
Automotive tire Grey Asphalt Tints and shades Bumper

Needed brakes so i got everything blasted, all new rotors, pads, seals, pins, hardware and paint
Wood Sculpture Font Urban design Artifact

Automotive tire Font Musical instrument Snake Bumper
Saw Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

Replaced the front axles but one pretty much clicked from the start. Have everything to rebuild the OEM ones but thats been off to the side for some time. future problems.
Light Automotive tire Camera accessory Audio equipment Gas

I love this thing.
Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Plant Tire

·
Registered
1990 CQ20vt, 07 A4sline2.0t... Gone but not forgotten, 88 90Q, 99 a42.8, 98 a42.8 PESg2, 00 A41.8t
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Things escalated quickly when i found an AAN, rep rs2 bumper and many 3b parts. Met a lot of great people so far in this community.
T
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Shelf Wood

AAN had a little over 300k on it if i remember correctly. Not the prettiest but it came out of a running 93urs4
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

7a out
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

Sent the AAN bottom end out to be refreshed, new rings, bearings, honed, hot tanked and painted. EFI took the 7a head in for the conversion they offer.
Removed the battery tray as everyone does, seam sealed and rattle caned, same paint code and i thought came out half decent

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dash out to start getting the harness out and do the heater core since I'm already there, never refoamed one but i think it should work out
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Automotive fuel system
Rectangle Wood Road surface Floor Wall

Wood Gas Machine Metal Electric blue

After talking to many people, I got a GTX2867 gen 2. Got a bunch of goodies from EFI, top and bottom end kit, timing kit, injectors, fuel pump, rep rs2 manifold, modified AAN water manifold and 7a head conversion. EFI modified my AAN harness and internalized a lot which makes everything a lot easier for someone like me lol. Also got a great deal on a euro bumper(which i can't use) and NOS fog lights/turn signals
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Box Gas Packing materials Plastic Publication
Publication Rotary tool Gadget Table Book
Gas Electrical wiring Circuit component Wire Wood
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper
Automotive tire Rectangle Grille Automotive design Wood

Will post more when i get a chance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bottom end when i got it back
Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Motor vehicle Tire

Trying to clean and or paint everything as I go
Tool Bicycle part Hand tool Bumper Auto part

Kept the AAN windage tray and 7a pick up with the 7a pan
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

7a head converted, keeping the 7a cams
Automotive tire Audio equipment Electronic instrument Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Font Gas Audio equipment Soil

·
Registered
1990 CQ
7 Posts
Yeah man, this is the content I come to MG for. Very clean work. That Tornado paint looks great. That can't be original can it?
Also interesting to see the shift boot in that condition given everything else looks really clean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah man, this is the content I come to MG for. Very clean work. That Tornado paint looks great. That can't be original can it?
Also interesting to see the shift boot in that condition given everything else looks really clean.
It is original paint as far as i can tell, the hoods clear coat is pretty thin but no peeling anywhere!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That crank pulley rubber looks to be in rough shape. Everything else looking good!
eventually id like to go serpentine, the pulleys i have for that seem better. For ease of getting it going I'm going to rock the 7a one, is there any remedy for the rubber or just replace?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Head on after, not going to lie i was nervous. Everything seems solid, rotates as it should.
Automotive tire Wheel Hood Product Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Engineering

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

I had bought an aby powder coated valve cover thinging it would fit with the 3b intake but clearly i was wrong. Its a shame I won't be using it because it looks so good.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know i should sell some of this to recoup money as i have tons of parts I'm not using. At the same time its neat to have all these! Went with the 3b cover of course.
Product Wood Gas Font Rectangle

Had someone local who actually paints do the cover so it looks way better than i could do.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Product Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Modified aan water manifold on.
Light Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

resurfaced 7a flywheel. South bend clutch
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

First attempt didn't go well, tried to do it alone and that was a mistake. After a while i realized the turbo was stuck on the frame rail. Also damaged the clutch splines slightly in the process. Got a small file set and cleaned the splines up carefully till the clutch slides on the input shaft as it should.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New motor mounts to since the old have collapsed a bit over 30 years.

A few shims as well
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Bumper

Took out the bracket on the frame rail, "massaged" the rail where the turbo needed to sit and refreshed the old dirty heat shield. Seam sealed a little and painted. That rattle can matches really well imo.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the help from Aris Mantopoulos and his father Constantine Mantopoulos, the engine is in. I couldn't be more grateful to them for coming to my rescue.They have been a tremendous help to me since I met them, as well as bought the car from them!

The people in this community have been the best by far in any car community I have met. I wouldn't be this far or have the ability to do this without the help and knowledge from Aris, Constantine, Jack Dean, Marc Swanson, Rob Lipski and many more. Seriously, thank you all for the help and patience, especially when I ask dumb questions.
Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Turbo clears! Will put more aluminum tape down at some point before running.
Plant Petal Red Automotive lighting Tints and shades

At some point before this i ran the AAN harness, just forgot to mention that
Light Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EFI ls coil conversion
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grille

Since the bracket doesn't quite sit flush, I put threaded inserts in the firewall, studs into them, a half inch spacer then nuts from the bracket side. Sets it out a half inch, and is pretty darn level across and down and doesn't move a nudge.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bottle Bumper

Most sensors are accounted for and connected.
Could not find a 3b PCV tube that runs under the charge pipe. so for now i have 3/4 hose running from the check valve to the intake. Made little brackets to lift the little shield up a hair to fit the hose under best I could. Tried to run it under the charge pipe but its too tight. It's not the best job but it's a job and will work for now...
Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Vehicle

1 - 20 of 31 Posts