Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1990 CQ20vt, 07 A4sline2.0t... Gone but not forgotten, 88 90Q, 99 a42.8, 98 a42.8 PESg2, 00 A41.8t
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Fuel lines done. Took 5 months to find a 3b fuel rail, then another 6 months to find the lines for it.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

7a 4bar fpr, couldn't make the line fit with the 3b bracket that holds it to the manifold, after lots of trying the old rubber mounts fell apart. Turned it sideways with no bracket, the lines hold it in place pretty well and it doesn't move at all.
Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Vehicle

One fitting had to be swapped out
Automotive tire Hood Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1990 CQ20vt, 07 A4sline2.0t... Gone but not forgotten, 88 90Q, 99 a42.8, 98 a42.8 PESg2, 00 A41.8t
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Vibrant intercooler fitted,.I adjusted it to be center after this pic but its in, i don't see fitting anything bigger without hacking things up which id like to avoid. I'm not planning on tracking the car or anything so i think the size will do fine.
Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Hood Car

Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light Hood

Anyone ever rig one of these up to be an intercooler sprayer? If so how'd you do it?
My friend just imported an Evo 4 and it has an intercooler sprayer which is pretty rad.
Car Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Tread

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Decided to swap out cog gears for the hardened one after reading a horror story about it. Too bad you can't see it when its together.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Rim

Timing officially set, Brand new rear timing cover from audi tradition
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Front cover on and belts on
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

AAN dipstick tube needs something to hold it down. No spot on the 3b manifold so i made this little bracket to the rad and it doesn't budge at all.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Metal Auto part

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nice. I am using the 7A’s fuel return line that runs from the regulator to the hardline on the firewall, since it already has the correct sized fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same, the 3b line to the rail had a different fitting than the 7a so thats the one i swapped out

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
150amp breaker
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Asphalt Trunk

Brattery tray mounted under the carpet
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Automotive lighting Road surface

red top is now held down tight, i just have to cut the excess off the threaded tie downs. Hoping with that the top carpet/cover will fit somewhat flush
Fixture Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle door

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Made a heatshield for the intake. Sheet metal cut, bent, hammered ect, wrapped in heat insulation tape then wrapped in aluminium tape. Not the prettiest but it should help. I need a shorter filter to make it fit better, this is just one i had laying around.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive battery

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Currently how the bay looks. Still need to trailer the car to get intercooler piping and a full exhaust fabricated but until then i think its pretty much there, just needs fluids.
Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

After a lot of front back side to side and even more upsidedown, the wiring SHOULD be all squared away.I couldn't go another day seeing the interior in shambles so i got it all back together. The knee panel barely fits seeing how i went through the 7a hole for the wiring harness and now theres a lot of extra under there. ECU is right on top of it under the steering shaft, i still need to bolt it to the top of the knee panel so it doesn't move but it seems to be clear from contacting the shaft.

Yes i hate the steering wheel as well, at some point ill get the old audi 3 spoke but until then this will work.

My friend also bought me the 034 short shifter and boy does it feel better than the worn out stock one!
Car Vehicle Wheel Speedometer Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

Still need to take the door cards off and glue the covers back down, same with the headliner. I'll probably end up redoing the whole headliner since its falling everywhere and definitely looks its age
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Anyway thats it for now, this is pretty much up to date. I'd like to see about getting a first start going soon, at least for a second since theres no exhaust or IC piping.

Hope you are enjoying my journey, this has been a lot of work to get it here and I'm pretty proud of where its at so far.

Up next is 034 street density trans mounts and rebuilding the original axles cause raxles suck.

·
Super Moderator
4,114 Posts
Nice build.

I would add a few things:
7A pfr will fit to the stock 3B location. (often it leaks, the its easy to relocate, like blackghost said)
engine moves, radiator doesn't, not the best position to the dip stick tube
that vent hose (check valve-turbo) will melt. thats why it was metal originally.
you might want to trim (remove 1 layer)of the end of the charge pipe (you will see when you try to install the boost hose)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Where was I?
A lot has happened in the last many months including buying my first house since my living situation changed and that ate a lot of time... and money.

Brought my car to Tim Silas aka DRBEASTCAR, his shop is only 15 minutes away. The exhaust he made me was worth the wait and every penny. its is quite perfect. Fits so snug and tight. I don't know much about welding but this guy is fantastic at his craft.

Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Asphalt Musical instrument

Grass Asphalt Road surface Plant Wire fencing

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Audio equipment Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Wood Alloy wheel

Fixture Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Motor vehicle

Tin Nickel Gas Musical instrument Automotive tire

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Some pics of the intercooler piping he did. Made some brackets that help it stay rock solid.

Grille Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Composite material

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
One final check over and a cool tip picture.
Believe it or not, it started on the first try! I tried to upload the video of it but it doesn't let me unfortunately. The exhaust sounded absolutey amazing!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Wet vac on the carpet did wonders. Scored some better headlights with clear corners, I think it matches the fogs better.
Also found one of those audi car phones, I don't think it was optioned in this car but its still a cool trinket to have in there.

Finished the break in miles last week after finally getting it registered and being settled into the house. Changed the oil and went for it. OOOOOH boy did i find out my rear struts are blown, when the power comes on the car squats like its 1000hp. I need to upgrade the brakes now too I think.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Vehicle Grille Car Hood Automotive lighting

White Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door

Automotive side marker light Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Grey Automotive design

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Light Headlamp Automotive exterior

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Car feels like a rocket when the power comes on but it comes on a lot later than I was hoping. I put a 1.9 bar waste gate spring in which helped somewhat but not as much as I thought. It feel like 190 hp until 4500/5k then bam 330hp or so and pulls hard straight to redline. The sounds this thing makes are everything I've ever wanted.
I will at some point bring it to Marc at EFI to have him tune it more specifially, I hope theres some room for improvement in the midrange. Either way I am totally in love with this car and couldn't be happier at the moment.

Current plans are to enjoy it as is for the rest of the season, enjoy car shows and fun drives around CT roads. When winter comes I plan on a suspension overhaul, subframe bushings and possible some brake upgrades if I can afford it (oil heat is going to be rough this winter).

Thats all the updates I have for now, I hope you enjoy the progress and this update. I'll try and be more active about it!

Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts