Automobiles Forum banner

1991 90 AAN Swap and more

18K views 80 replies 8 participants last post by  cmaxvt 
#1 ·
Finally, after 3 years of on/off searching, I've scored a car! It is in pretty darn good shape mechanically, with an AAN swap, some moderately upgraded brakes, fresh suspension, and a really crummy paint job. It's got a lot of work that it needs (wheels aren't aligned, RS2 bumper is rubbing on bumps, some windows don't work, needs new seats, etc), but it's a relatively put together project. I'm going to look to upgrade to Euro H4 headlights, possibly some 034 parts like the injector kit, but I am open to suggestions for other things we can do.

Attaching some prelim photos and will try to keep track of it here. Thanks to anyone and everyone who's answered questions and helped along the way.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Another potential project is getting an AC compressor in there. Has anyone fit one into a B3 Sedan/Coupe? It seems like there's room on the passenger side under the turbo, but my mechanic hasn't done one before.

#4 ·
Car looks good! Heads up the 034 injector kit is for 7A, the AAN/3B injectors generally aren't as problematic.

I'm working on A/C in my AAN swapped 80 putting the compressor in the stock 80/90/coupe location on the passenger side. As Jonas noted you'll need to move the turbo drain to the pan extension like an S2. I want to keep the serp belt so I'm going to try swapping the AAN clutch/pulley onto the stock 90 compressor and then I'll need to build a custom bracket to get belt alignment right and then likely have to have a custom line or three built because of where I don't think I have room to put the accumulator back in the stock spot.

There's also the condenser to fit, but it looks like that should clear your intake manifold without issue.

#5 ·
Okay awesome. We might have to meet up in Burlington to try to figure out how to fit AC on these things haha.

I just see almost everyone and their mother who swaps an AAN in has the new valve covers and coil packs and whatnot. The stock AAN feels good but it's definitely not much different feeling than a stock 7A. I'd like to see the turbo have a little more affect down low. Sounds like the 034 AAN injector kits + the coil upgrades would be a solid boost to consistency.

#7 ·
Car looks great, gonna be super fun for sure.

If your AAN feels like a 7A something might be off. The 7A is a fun motor, no doubt, but no comparison to having some boost. Make sure you don't have a boost leak somewhere. Do you have a gauge to tell you how much boost you're making? An AAN that isn't making any boost will feel pretty much exactly like a 7A.

For stock level boost I think the factory ignition coils are fine. They are just expensive to replace, and the TFSI coil packs are super cheap, so that is part of the reason. Also red is cool.

Lastly, for the 034 injector kit, are you talking about upgraded injectors/chip sets or the 7A Injector kit?

You don't need the 7A kit because the AAN/3B fuel rail already works with Bosch-style injectors.
Upgrading injectors won't do anything if you don't have the boost and fuel delivery map to match, so probably not the first thing I'd do.

#8 ·
jonas-k said:
Car looks great, gonna be super fun for sure.

If your AAN feels like a 7A something might be off. The 7A is a fun motor, no doubt, but no comparison to having some boost. Make sure you don't have a boost leak somewhere. Do you have a gauge to tell you how much boost you're making? An AAN that isn't making any boost will feel pretty much exactly like a 7A.

For stock level boost I think the factory ignition coils are fine. They are just expensive to replace, and the TFSI coil packs are super cheap, so that is part of the reason. Also red is cool.

Lastly, for the 034 injector kit, are you talking about upgraded injectors/chip sets or the 7A Injector kit?

You don't need the 7A kit because the AAN/3B fuel rail already works with Bosch-style injectors.
Upgrading injectors won't do anything if you don't have the boost and fuel delivery map to match, so probably not the first thing I'd do.
I think it's just been a long time since I was in a 7A haha. So it maybe just doesn't feel too quick. It is definitely boosting, although I don't have a boost gauge. I'm getting all the pleasant turbo whirls and definitely boosting. The pieces I was considering from 034 were here:
https://store.034motorsport.com/chip-tu ... e-164.html
https://store.034motorsport.com/034moto ... coils.html

Not sure if I'd need to add actual coils, but as you said, the stock AAN ones might be fine? https://store.034motorsport.com/coil-2- ... -715f.html

It's (seemingly) very much an OEM AAN motor, so I figured a chip and the updated coil harness would be a good place to start.

#10 ·
jonas-k said:
Ah, I see.

Those would both be fine. Should make for a screamer. Lots of good info here about limits of the k24 turbo, factory EM, etc and how far you can go before those need to be upgraded.
Yea that is what I was figuring. If I really wanted to boost up power, I'd have to get a VEMS and a bigger turbo and all that jazz. Not looking to do any of that yet. Probably not ever for this car. I plan on it being my daily and using it in the winter, so I don't want it 300+ hp. It's still on the 01A transmission too, so not looking to wreck that thing. I figure some tasteful fueling and ignition upgrades for the stock setup is a good starting point. Makes for more controlled throttle steering in the snow rather than just spinning tires like nuts. Hoping it gives more usable torque and a little more oomph, but nothing crazy.

Now to find a clean, not destroyed shift boot leather.. haha

#11 ·
Been working a few things with my mechanic on the car. Have Depo H4 headlights still to go in, all seats are swapped to OEM electric black leather seats. The driver's seat doesn't move front/back but everything else works... can't identify why. Any ideas?

Passenger seat the heated seats don't work.. it seems like a gremlin in wiring somewhere from the switch to the seat... if anyone has any ideas there either?

Nardi Wheel permanently set the horn on.. haha. My mechanic fabricated a little metal ring to cut the signal until the horn was pressed.. we are trying to find a more permanent/clean solution.

It looks like it has an original Wagner aluminum intake manifold.. not as pretty as the new ones but it seems nice. It's a thick chunk of aluminum and seems beefy. Think it is this one: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-wagner-tuni ... 01001~wgt/

#13 ·
Lil update.. even tho no one really comes here anymore haha.

Got an alignment, got the seats working, got the nardi wheel in *sweeeeet*. Was trying to get it inspected but on the way the alternator decided to explode. Mechanic just inspected it and said it was a garbage rebuilt alternator.. so we threw a new one in and getting it inspected this week.

The suspension might still need some sorting, but the alignment is nice. Drove it for about 30 mins today. The handling is still a little grabby and feels like the rear end is sort of washing around a tad, but it might just be the 30 series tires on 18" rims. It had some vibrations up on the highway as well, but maybe the tires are just flat spotted from sitting.

Otherwise.. engine feels GREAT! Gotta spend some time digging through the ignition harness and injectors to see what's in there and figure out if they need upgrading. Brakes feel super nice. Bite early and really linear.

Next up is trying to figure out air conditioning, and possibly redoing the entire dash. That would include heater core, maybe a new dash since the one in there is sort of rotten to bits, there's no screen on the windshield vent, the piece under the steering wheel is peeling away from the aluminum, etc.

I might also want to try to swap it from climate control to 3 manual knobs. Has anyone done that before?

#14 ·
lots of knowledgeable ppl are here daily, maybe they are just not motivated to write anything

Next up is trying to figure out air conditioning
not an easy thing to do

and possibly redoing the entire dash.
not that difficult to do, but to find a decent dash is hard

That would include heater core, maybe a new dash since the one in there is sort of rotten to bits, there's no screen on the windshield vent, the piece under the steering wheel is peeling away from the aluminum, etc.
I might also want to try to swap it from climate control to 3 manual knobs. Has anyone done that before?

Yes, it was done many times. you need the complete manual box. should be easy with the heater core and the dash at the same time.

#15 ·
varia said:
lots of knowledgeable ppl are here daily, maybe they are just not motivated to write anything

Next up is trying to figure out air conditioning
not an easy thing to do

and possibly redoing the entire dash.
not that difficult to do, but to find a decent dash is hard

That would include heater core, maybe a new dash since the one in there is sort of rotten to bits, there's no screen on the windshield vent, the piece under the steering wheel is peeling away from the aluminum, etc.

Yes, it was done many times. you need the complete manual box. should be easy with the heater core and the dash at the same time.
Yea fair. I guess I am just sad there isn't as much activity lately.

Hoping to be able to find a nice dash and possibly door cards, although I might try something new for the doorcards. Maybe just rip everything off, clean the plastic real good, and find some nice newer material to seat behind it.

The headliner is some weird mushy stuff too, but at least (for now) it's in and not falling.

#16 ·
Car is set to get inspected this week then I can actually start driving it and documenting some of the work. It's been hidden away at my mechanics the last couple months. Will start with cleaning up the door cards, replacing the shift boot leather, and just DRIVING IT FINALLY :) Gotta figure out what else is busted before I can fix anything else.

Also going to detail the shit out of it.

Next big projects are going to be replacing the dash, heater core, and trying to figure out AC....

#18 ·
PRY4SNO said:
Fantastic news, congratulations!
Thanks man. Sadly I spoke too soon. Brakes hung up on every wheel on the way back from inspection.. Might be master cylinder since they all froze.. they eventually let up but gonna take some work to figure it out.

#21 ·
varia said:
ahh this car! i remember seeing it posted on FB few months back
Yup. Got it from South Carolina. Was a good post on facebook market.. unfortunately there is way more wrong with it than advertised as you can imagine haha. Been working through all the gremlins. Lots more to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.