Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody tell me where I can find rod bearings and bolts for a 4.2 ART motor? Not available thru the dealer cant find no after market. There must be some somewhere? Can some one help me with this? [email protected]

I just cant believe no one makes these. I have a small rod noise at start up and at a idle in gear. I wanted to fix the problem (maybe) before it get worse.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I haven't heard your noise - but it could be the cam chain adjusters? (I think the ART has these?) Unless you have run it dry of oil the bottom of these motors are pretty stout. The chain adjusters can fail around the 100k mark. Either the plastic guide breaks apart or internally they don't tension/adjust properly. If you look around they are over $550 each - and there is one on each head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well wasn't sure at one time what was causing the noise chain adjusters or a rod bearing. Not knowing what a noisy chain adjuster sounded like either. So I have heard a few rod bearings noises which I was leaning towards.But I change the oil yesterday and started it up and it was quiet for a few seconds then I heard the chain adjusters for the lack of oil pressure then went away after a few seconds and it is a different sound that what I have been hearing. It kind of reminded me of a sound a diesel engine makes when there is to much fuel in the cylinders on start up.

The sound I have been hearing which has been going on for a year since a bought it. Has become more noticeable after it sits over night. The longer it sits the louder and longer the rod noise is. So I have oil draining back into the pan not staying in the oil galleys were it is needed. Lately been hearing a slight knock at a idle under a load so I'm hoping that the damage isn't gone to far. Maybe it can be fixed and get a few more years out of it. Anyway that's the story other than the guy a bought it from must have started it up before I got there so there was no noise to be heard!

I wish I could have disabled the ignition and fuel systems. And crank the engine to build some oil pressure before start up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts