Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was offered a 2003 S8 for a very good price.
It had been sitting in this dilapidated structure for years..
118K on the clock and a tank full of varnish.
A new fuel pump and she was able to pull out under her own power.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

This was my previous build, which I am still driving with the hail damage, while I complete this build.

Before said hail storm.

The AYS engine going into the build - mid teardown

Engine cleaned up.. New supertech springs and a full valve job is complete.

One of the rare parts.. The last NOS Milltek was found in a corner of a building and offered for sale, I quickly made the decision to secure this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
D3 S8 385mm brakes are going up front.

New european bi-xenons will go on once the paintwork is complete.

Paint is cleaning up fairly well.

Before polish...

Low mileage front subframe that is rust-free was sourced..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sweet build, I'll be watching.

I thought D2's were all aluminum? would all subframes be rust free in this case?

Also - why did you choose the euro xenons instead of a Mini H1 8.0 retrofit in the stock lights? These euro xenons were interesting in that they seem to be an proper HID without a projector housing. IIRC they also have a motor to change the bulb angle for high beam mode?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One of the only parts that is steel in the d2 is the subframe.. the bixenon lights are wonderful at night.. I found one side for a steal of a deal but had to pony up big $$$$ for the other side.. But at this point, why not?

The bixenon does move the assembly to shift the light pattern on high beam as well as activate another h1 light bulb.

Here's a video of some used bixenon on my 01 that I refurbished.

I thought D2's were all aluminum? would all subframes be rust free in this case?

Also - why did you choose the euro xenons instead of a Mini H1 8.0 retrofit in the stock lights? These euro xenons were interesting in that they seem to be an proper HID without a projector housing. IIRC they also have a motor to change the bulb angle for high beam mode?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sweet build, I'll be watching.

The chassis is aluminum, but the front and rear subframes are steel. Also pre FL uprights are also steel on the A8, alloy post facelift. Not sure about the S8 uprights.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
New KW Variant 2 coilovers - these are no longer available, another rare item going into this build

Some cleanup of parts.. D2 A8 uprights to fit the d3 s8 calipers.

Some NOS engine mounts - mounts on the right are new - notice the used mounts -on the left - are shorter (compressed)

That's all for today, much more to come!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, as life is constantly changing, so have my plans...
A neighbor backed into the quarter panel and squashed my enthusiasm to build this.
I have however sold this to Jeremy B. he built this car.
I decided to find a clean example and put all of my goodies on that instead.

This was a 2 owner car, always garaged, never driven in the snow.
Had 111k, flew in and drove it home.

I was calculating costs of paint and bodywork when making this decision..
This route was definitely the way to go.

Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Car Tire

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeremy built this car and it came out fantastic.
He was able to use the engine from my '01 hail car and build this into a very respectable car.

Here's 1 before pic, an after, and photos of the progress.

Here's the day he took it home..

And work commenced immediately.

It now runs and drives great! He drove it to work for 6 weeks to finish ironing the kinks out..
His son flew in and took delivery of a well sorted d2 s8.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts