Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl has this car, and has 58k miles.. She needs to add 1qt every month, seems unusaual, my 91 burns through mabey 1/4 qt every 2 months with 140k on the clock.. Dealership says this is "normal".. I h

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dont belive them.. Anyone have some input? Thanks, gang

·
Registered
29 Posts
How many miles does she drive a month?
What oil weight is she using? 0W-something? 5W-something?
The automakers recommend these thin oils because during the EPA mileage certifications they must use the same oil they recommend.
They use the thin oil to get better mileage.

Try 10W-30 Mobil-1 and see how it does.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She drives about 1600 miles a month... Using 5w30 m1..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Technically speaking, a quart every thousand miles is the allowable spec...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well ok then.. When she just told me 1600 miles i was thinking that haha.. Do you think a heavier oil wight would help?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
wth that's not right, your car shouldn't burn that much oil over 1000 miles. my cq loses maybe 1 quart over 5k

my moms A4 2010 (2.0t) doesn't burn any oil at all from what i can tell after measuring now and then

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im goig to have her call the dealership, to inquire manyana..

·
Registered
41 Posts
A heavier weight oil may help, but even though it is a lot to lose (qt per 1000 miles), that is the manufacturer specification. Have the dealer do a oil consumption test. They won't do anything (help you under warranty) unless it is in excess of 1 qt per 1000 miles

·
Registered
176 Posts
They burn oil... Most b7&b8's.
I switched to Total 5w/40 and the oil lasted an extra 1k miles more than the Castrol the dealer was using. But yeah, dealer won't do the test unless you are burning 1qt/1 k miles. Some will top you up for free. PCV system is lame, after warranty switch to catch can. That's my plan.

Edit. And those who say they don't burn any in the 10k mile change are likely lying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts