Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am a n00b to audis but I have done a lot of work in hondas.

I have been looking at 80s, 90s, and a couple of Quattro Coupes in my area with the intent of obtaining 230ish hp with one. So far the quattro coupe has been my favorite and there is one availible for a price that I can accept. It needs a little work but the engine and drivetrain are solid.

Can 230-240hp be achived with the 7a for under $3000?? I would consider $3000 to be my budget for this project.

If the 7A is no good, what platform would be easiest for me to achieve this on?

80? 90?

I would like to grab a late model 90 and turbo the 12v V6, but I'm sure that would be all custom.

My concern is the fuel management of the damn things. On my accord it consisted of me splicing 7 wires, install new injectors, and pressing a few buttons on a SAFC.

Help me out guys!! My FWD Accord is worthless with boost (no traction), I want quattro for these mn winters!!

pic of accord:

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Well, to get to that level, you're looking at an engine swap in just about any of the cars. You can turbo a NA motor, but with all the great turbo motors that audi built it makes sense just to drop one in. The cheepest and strongest being the 10v MC. You can turbo the V6, but I'd drop in some lower CR pistons. Same with the 7A, you'd need to lower the CR, and change manifolds (IM & EM). As far as fueling goes, well, standalone is the best way to go, and obviously 034EFI is our favorite system.

The coupe quattro is a little heavier than the sedan's, but if you like the car, here's what I'd do with $3000. to get you started

NG bottom end $100 good to ~400 hp if you're not detonating

Cheep 3B or AAN exhaust manifold $200?

K24 or K26 turbo $150

3B intake manifold $400?

Good intercooler $300

034EFI Stage IIb $1150

Use your 20v head from the 7a Free!

$250 fuel injectors

$500 for Misc crap you'll need

This leaves you room to expand by bolting up better manifolds, turbos and stuff in the future, and should be good for ~280 hp.

Or you can build a really nice motor with your existing block and put a little more money into it.

Custom pistons and Eagle Connecting rods $1000 if you want more than 400 hp, or just use an NG block again. $100

3B intake manifold $400?

034EFI 20vt header $800(just a guess on the price)

T4/T4 turbo $700

Good intercooler $300

034EFI Stage IIc $1650

Use your 20v head from the 7a Free!

$250 fuel injectors

$500 for Misc crap you'll need.

This setup will get you to 400 hp easy, and with new connecting rods and pistons, 500 hp with the right turbo should be easy.

I'm sure I left out some minor things, but once again, are you going to be happy with 240 hp in a CQ. For a while, but not for long once you realize how great quattro is. I'm running 400+ hp and the car still sticks to the ground most of the time. I can break the tires loose, but it takes a little bashing on the clutch to do so. Also, all those prices are just rough estimates, you may be able to find cheeper stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that NG bottom end is one from a 5kq/200 right? Do I want a dual knock or single knock unit?

I have almost killed myself more than once with a 220hp accord on track day, so having 230-240 or so in a CQ will surely leave me happy.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
:lol: your kidding right? 230-240 hp is never enough.once you enter the world of quattro, you'll never look back. traction galore my friend. I love racing 2wd'ers who are silly enough to race in the rain cause I know I'm gonna beat em', no matter how much power they might have. by the way, I'm not big on hondas, but i can appreciate a job well done, and your car looks just that. i don't knock people with the ability to actually work on and improve their own vehicles.
oh, I almost forgot the 200/5000 turbo engines are MC engine code.the NG are from the 10v type 89's, they have 10:1 compression and big valves from the factory, but they used a wierd intake bolt pattern that's specific to the NG. I always forget what the 7a,aan,3b and all the others go in. I have an MC and thats all that matters to me. if I want more performance I'll go to the 20v head. from a turbo engine, whatever engine code it is :D

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
one more thing,I noticed your carbon fiber hood. I always thought those look way cool. hey guys, who can we sucker into setting up to make carbon fiber sport Q hoods for the type 85's and 89's. now that would be sweet. the sport Q hood look rules.
I love the look of the front of marcs car and i need more money so i can get one of those hoods :)

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
derracuda said:
one more thing,I noticed your carbon fiber hood. I always thought those look way cool. hey guys, who can we sucker into setting up to make carbon fiber sport Q hoods for the type 85's and 89's. now that would be sweet. the sport Q hood look rules.
I love the look of the front of marcs car and i need more money so i can get one of those hoods :)
dont forget the B4's!

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
From the motherlist today. :wtf:
I'm not the Jim selling these:

To: Composite Hood Groupe

Re: SQ Hood Grill set

I have a group rate price available for those in the SQ hood
fabrication
project. So I don't get into trouble with SPAMMING on this list, please
e-mail me
at [email protected] for the price of the set of grills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts