Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!

So, I'm working on pulling the head on the 3B in 200 avant..

Was planning on undoing the manifold fromt eh head, then pulling head.
But.. Having a hard time getting the ONE last nut off the manifold stud that's right under the turbo. Seems to be only accessable with a box end wrench, and turnable only one flat at a time, if that. Needlsess to say, very painful!

So.. Looked at disconnecting the turbo instead..

Got the downpipe nuts off, got the turbo nuts off, but can't get the dowpile off, as the exhause doesn't move enough, and cant get the turbo out because the oil drain hits the frame rail.

So... Go to undo the lower oil drain. Can't see any way to get at the inboard allen screw for the turbo drain.

It's making me think of a Rubix cube.. You can't undo one thing, as there is something else that jams *athat* step.

Am I missing something, or does it all work once you get the hed loos, and can move the *head* away from the turbo, instead of moving the turbo away from the head?

Then the 'tin' shield between the timing belt and head.. I'm supposing that has to com uff too, before head can come out?

So what I'm asking... ANy tips from someone who has done this before??????

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Austin!

If I do that, will it help getting the tubo clear?
I'm thinking the turbo would still be jammed in place by it's oil drain.. :frustrated:

(but I guess I could undo the lower end of the drian, and pull the turbo with the head then..?)

Probably can't hurt to take the bumper and intercooler off too, as I'll have to do that anyway for doing the timing belt?

·
Administrator
12,593 Posts
Bumper off takes very little time 2 8mm allen bolts 4 + screws(if you still have the brake ducts) and the turn signal connectors.
You may have a better chance getting the oil drain undone from the turbo as the original allen bolts at the block are shallow and not likely to come out without some persuasion. I replace those with regular bolts.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yodasfro said:
Bumper off takes very little time 2 8mm allen bolts 4 + screws(if you still have the brake ducts) and the turn signal connectors.
Actually, kind of looking forward to that part! Probably will get me a lot better access..

Urq/4k front bumpers are not nearly as easy to deal with.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh Look!

My friend sent me a pic of the car, with the turbo out already

I guess they got the turbo out, when I was eating Easter dinner!

Thanks guys!

Still have to pull head, to see what's going on though.. :-(

·
Registered
989 Posts
Why are you pulling the head frank? I got in here late... If it's anything like the urs you should be able to remove the head with both manifolds attached. Turbo too. The trick is with the head undone you can move the turbo forward array from the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now with hindsight.. Pulling head to look for coolant leak. With the head off, seems to be a very small 'kink' in the gasket, whick looked like was leaking into the cooling..

Well, yes, makes sense to pull with manifolds.. BUt I had intake off before, so that's easy enough to whip off.

Looked like all the lines on the bottom of the turbo were going to be painful (water, oil and turbo outlet), So started by trying to undo exhaust manifold. *almost* pulled it off, except for the ONE that took the stud with it, right under the turbo.. So when to take the turbo off, but got all the turbo bolts undone, and the manifold undone, but still couldn't get it off, and getting the oil drain off looked tricky too..

Friends got it all apart for me on Sunday, but yet, now I see the once the head had cracked loose, everything would have easily come apart. I'm thinking I'm going to install *at least* the exhaust manifold (and probably the turbo), before putting the head on again..

(then there is my TR6 triumph.. I'd bet I could get it's head off in a half hour, if all went well.. The beauty of a pushrod motor!)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Katman said:
(then there is my TR6 triumph.. I'd bet I could get it's head off in a half hour, if all went well.. The beauty of a pushrod motor!)

1st video - head on an Opel, 40 mins?
2nd video - head on a Supra (!!), under 30 mins

I love the shot in the first video of the mechanics dumping water on McRae's engine as soon as the hood is propped open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts