Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know what all is involved in converting from the 408x4 to 112x5 on a 4kq? can the hubs be swapped? my plan is to use front brakes from a 96 a4 that I got for free. the hub center is the same and and the bracket bolts aren't too different, a bracket shouldn't be too hard to come up with. I was originally just going to weld up and redrill the front rotors, but now I've been thinkin if it's not too hard maybe I will just switch the whole bunch. wheels would be of a better selection too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Search audifans.com archives under "5 bolt conversion" there is tons of info about this

But to start, here is the short list of what you need for a 4kq

Front hubs, from a 5ktq
Rear hubs from a 5ktq
redrilled 4kq rear rotors
front brake rotors and calipers
might as well put in 4 new wheel berings

And the big question, are your front axles the correct length once you are done?

Good luck, and after you search audifans, let me know if you have more questions.

Brian
88 80tq, with PITA 5 stud conversion!

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, I would probably just see about using 5kt rear rotors and calipers. what about the axles being a different length? if the hubs themselves are the same dimensions with the exception of the flange, i don't see why it would make a difference. I will check out the audifans achives though. thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Cuda,

If you can wait a few weeks I might be able to save you the hassle.
I'm working on brackets to mount Wilwood ultra lites to my 4kq.
I could sell you a set of Brackets,and a list of parts needed.
My goal was to get good brakes but keep the stock hubs,and rotors.
We converted the rally car to 5 lug. Big pain in the a$$ for little gain.
If you decide to do it anyway I've got a set of 15" S4 speedlines you might want.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what's so much of a pain? i'm just curious.
about the wilwoods. the superlites are too wide for my rims. the closest fit I found would be the billet dynalite. that's the narrowest four pot they make. the reason I want low clearance brakes is so that i can fit the rims that I like. unfortnately with the available offsets and styles that i like, four piston won't fit.
with my car, rims play a big part in it's appearance. if the rims are ugly, i can't stand look at it. call me picky, but that's the way it is. I figure stock a4 brakes would be a big improvement over my puny stockers. have you seen the difference in the surface area of the pads between the two? quite a difference. on top of this, i can get green stuff pads and cross drilled/slotted rotors.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
OK.

If you've done all the math than I guess I wont bore you with the details.
I've test fit the calipers with the stock 14" wheels and they fit just fine.
I'm more concerned about actual performance than the BLING factor.
The G60 calipers are very heavy compared to the Wilwoods also.

Goodluck :wink:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

My wife's 20V 90 had the G60's on her car.and I never noticed the difference.
We put the Wilwoods on the rally car with stock rotors,and let me tell you it WORKS. I'll hook the G-tech and give you guys the #'s.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i tell you what,if you say the superlites fit behind the stock wheels then it would probably work on my car. you've gotten farther in test fitting with the wilwoods than I. I've just gone by the diagrams on the wilwood site. if you could give me the measurement from the front rotor surface to the farthest part of the superlite caliper towards the rim side i could check to see if it will clear my rims. currently I have just under 1 3/4" clearance to the backside of the face of my rim.

also, how much are you gonna want for the brackets? if this will pan out I'd be interested. maybe it's possible in my situation to use the larger CQ rotors, that probably requires different brackets though. do you guys have any issues with using the stock size rotors,as in cooking them after hard use? and do you just use plain old non slotted or cross drilled?

if you go to my webpage you can see my wilwood proportioning valve that, I must say, works quite well. I'm into expierementing here, so maybe we can figure somethin out.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I will give you all the measurements when I'm done with the fabbin.
I'm working on a website so I can post the 20V Quattro tube frame
hillclimber pics and the project stuff also.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
coolio
I look forward to seein it

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey aaron, how's the caliper brackets comin?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts