Automobiles Forum banner

5 cylinder turbo diesels

9K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  68falconfutura 
#1 ·
At this point I am pretty interested in building an inline 5 turbo diesel. I understand how the diesel works and all for the most part. I'm doing research right now, and I'm sure there are others that are and have done research prior to this post. Basically here is the low down. Later in fall or winter I am going to pick up another audi probably a pre-96 one. Not quite sure what yet though. I'll probably drive that around for winter and then next year I'd be interested in swapping in a diesel. Here's a few questions...

1) Are there any differences between a gas & diesel short block in the way they are designed?

2) I know sizes can be different, but would using a normally "gas" engine block with a diesel head work as a diesel?

3) Is what makes a diesel engine a diesel engine in the head design (no spark plug holes?

4) If so, does that mean everything else is the same?

5) Also, I understand why diesel can run such high compression, but how do they obtain it?

6) Are there any 20v head (designed for diesel) that I can put on a 5 cylinder short block?

7) If audi doesn't make a 20v diesel (and if there is no way to make your own :wink: (by lets say sealing the spark plug holes>?)) Would a volvo or mercedes (if they made one, which I'm not sure of yet) directly bolt on an audi transmission? I know volvo is horizontally mounted so it'd fit different in the engine bay.

I'm going to keep looking things up, I'd thought I'd start a post to help with the search and for anyone else that is interested in a diesel.

Actually I guess there is another question,
Is there any limitation in turbo'ing a NA diesel (anything to worry about). Knowing that'd you have to have an exhaust manifold, maybe oil lines, or custom things built to accommodate the addition of a turbo.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks

8)

See less See more
#27 ·
Now that we're talking new TDI's, I really want a Q7, not that they're the sweetest looking SUV, but they are designed great in every aspect (performance, handling etc)

#28 ·
I recently put a 5 cyl TDI into a 1988 Audi 90Q. It is AEL engine which was a crate engine for the 1997 european A6(almost identical to the ATT engine, but more HP). I got it from PartsPlace in mich. They had quite a few of them - mostly sold to the sycro vanagon conversion folks. I know of one other person who put one in his A6 avant. I have enclosed a mid-project photo...I have just joined this forum, but plan on posting newer photos and a write up at some point. I am still breaking the engine in, but it certainly outperforms the stock gas engine...

Attachments

#29 ·
Tuckaway said:
They had quite a few of them - mostly sold to the sycro vanagon conversion folks.
About 2 years ago?Saw 3 or 4 brand new crate engines on ebay.com selling for $3500US/piece around that time.Aot of stuff comes into the US that noone knows about.Even VW Motorsports was in on the action.
VW MS subcontracted X-TRAC to build 6-speed dog boxes for some race team (rally team?) and they never came across.What ended up happening? X-TRAC had no use for FWD 6-speed dog boxes so they misteriously got into some performane nutters hands @ a beer bottle price. :eek:

Ebay link to a 2.5 Diesel

#31 ·
Last I saw the numbers VW sold less than 500 Toureg V10 TDI cars in 2004 and a few in 2005.

The 2.5 TDI is both a V6 and an I5. I5 diesels will shake the fillings from your teeth when compared to the V6. All Diesels used 2 valve heads until 2004 as I recall, the 2.0 TDI with common rail(not the one in the passat). The V6 tdi's were 4 valve.

In 2004 VW dropped the distribution pump method of fuel delivery in favor of a unit injector (known as Pumpe Dusen). Pumpe Dusen cars in europe came to market around 99 0r 2000.

Regarding which car to use, If your car came with a 5 cylinder, then find an early 2.5 TDI 5 cylinder from Europe, there is a guy in Las Vegas selling new old stock units for 5 grand. If you car is a V6, we need to talk, as I have one coming from the father land next month.

I would avoid building a TDI engine, pistons are dealer items only and a total cost for rebuild will be several thousand dollars.

#32 ·
chris.miller said:
cuatrokoop said:
Not in the USA...Just like how we were supposed to get the 5.0L V10 TDI in the Touareg, but we didn't.
We did get the V10 tdi, for a short time; worked on one in Michigan a couple months back.
You sure that car isn't from Canada? I'm also pretty positive it was never offered in the US, a friend of mine also works at VW and has been chomping for one for a few years, ended up with a V8 model.

#33 ·
You sure that car isn't from Canada? I'm also pretty positive it was never offered in the US, a friend of mine also works at VW and has been chomping for one for a few years, ended up with a V8 model.
You Cali guys didn't get it, as well as 4 other states. I saw one at the local dealer in Texas one morning and took off at lunch to go look at it. It sold in 2 hours! Yes they were US models, not canadian one. They had an MSRP starting at 58K, fully loaded they were 66K!!!!!!! I've also sen one wrecked that sold for just as much as it would not wrecked.

#34 ·
I've recently finished a series of significant upgrades and repairs on my coupe. Fully new or reconditioned front and rear suspension. I'm considering the 5 cylinder TDI swap when I finish school, but still in the research stage. From what I have seen, it seems the best bet is to get one of the Euro Toureg TDI engines, including the tranny and diff to do the conversion; understanding that the import would need to be through a broker.
Has anyone progressed further on this since the last posting in 2006?

#35 ·
i can state for a fact that importation does not have to be through a broker. i have shipped 8-10 containers, parts, vehicles, equipment, household goods, etc on my own using nothing more than an authorized vendor for the shipping companies like hapag-lloyd, reddaway, etc. depending on the tax laws in the country u are bringing the item into, you MAY have to use a customs broker. i have done it both ways, used a customs brokerage firm and done it myself. honestly, worst thing about doing all of this is loading, unloading and creating the bill of lading. good luck with the swap.

#36 ·
That's sweet! So I'd imagine I'd have to have one shipped over from europe. What's the market price for those engines used? I thought the 2.5l audi turbo diesels were v6's not inline 5's? Maybe if I took on a project like that it'd be time to go 034 efi. Thanks
At this point I am pretty interested in building an inline 5 turbo diesel. I understand how the diesel works and all for the most part. I'm doing research right now, and I'm sure there are others that are and have done research prior to this post. Basically here is the low down. Later in fall or winter I am going to pick up another audi probably a pre-96 one. Not quite sure what yet though. I'll probably drive that around for winter and then next year I'd be interested in swapping in a diesel. Here's a few questions... 1) Are there any differences between a gas & diesel short block in the way they are designed? 2) I know sizes can be different, but would using a normally "gas" engine block with a diesel head work as a diesel? 3) Is what makes a diesel engine a diesel engine in the head design (no spark plug holes? 4) If so, does that mean everything else is the same? 5) Also, I understand why diesel can run such high compression, but how do they obtain it? 6) Are there any 20v head (designed for diesel) that I can put on a 5 cylinder short block? 7) If audi doesn't make a 20v diesel (and if there is no way to make your own 😉 (by lets say sealing the spark plug holes>?)) Would a volvo or mercedes (if they made one, which I'm not sure of yet) directly bolt on an audi transmission? I know volvo is horizontally mounted so it'd fit different in the engine bay. I'm going to keep looking things up, I'd thought I'd start a post to help with the search and for anyone else that is interested in a diesel. Actually I guess there is another question, Is there any limitation in turbo'ing a NA diesel (anything to worry about). Knowing that'd you have to have an exhaust manifold, maybe oil lines, or custom things built to accommodate the addition of a turbo. Sorry for the long post. Thanks 8)
Volvo Penta (Volvo marine) D3 is an all aluminum 5cyl turbo diesel dohc 20 valve built by Audi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.