Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
i recently purchased a 6-speed FWD gearbox from an Audi A6 2.5TDI from England.
Isnt it true that any Audi engine will bolt straight to any Audi Gearbox?
like thats the reason its easy to do an engine conversion right?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
no four cylinder will fit any five cylinder bellhousing if I remember correctly.I have looked at the two different trannies and there might be the possibilty of exchanging the front half of the bellhousing that has the diff in it. but as far as the input shaft goes I don't know.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
derracuda said:
no four cylinder will fit any five cylinder bellhousing if I remember correctly.I have looked at the two different trannies and there might be the possibilty of exchanging the front half of the bellhousing that has the diff in it. but as far as the input shaft goes I don't know.
i am sorry,you lost me there.
FOrget shafts and all that.I can use other drive shafts.I am talking about the gearbox bolting on to the block oif the engine.
Will the 6-speed gearbox from the A6 bolt to the 4 cylinder 2.0 Engine?
its not 4WD ,everything is FWD and thats the only 6-speed box audi made in FWD format.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
ok,what I was saying is, that I'm positive the two (4and 5cyl) bellhousing bolt patterns are different. all the VW and Audi 4cyl engines had the same bolt pattern. the 5 cylinder is the same as the v6's (not vr6) and the v8 engine (on the v8, I don't know if the bellhousings are the same all the way up to current model though). now, onto the shafts and things. I have a 4cyl 2wd tranny and a 5cyl quattro tranny. I had thought about maybe doing a 1.8 turbo swap, and looked into what it would take. externally, It looks like the the gear housings on the two are the same(with the exception of the quatto having a rear output). the front half of the case is where the difference is (being the bellhousing bolt pattern and the clutch actuating sysems are different, cable vs. hydraulic) and you would have possibly different final ratios to choose from. the other part of the situation is, if you change the front half of the case, do the input shafts exchange.I don't know as I have never had either apart.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
well, first off the starter bolt patterns are different, and the starters don't exchange. if you look at the bolt pattern from the starter bolts on up you can see the pattern looks different, even the top bolts are not the same. i asked around a lot when i though of going 4cyl in my car, everybody said that they don't interchange. how much did you pay for that 6 spd. anyway, I'm just curious. and also, did the place you bought it from say it would fit, if so, they either didn't know it wouldn't fit or knew you probably couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it from overseas. if so you might want to think about going 5cyl

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok sweet...then it will fit!
thank god.
because looking at my transmission I ahve the same bolt pattern as the Above 5 speed quattro.
I paid $1500US for the 6-speed gearbox.Yes i think they tried to mess with me but if its just a starter mottor thats going to eb the problem then ill build a starter motor.Once the remaining bolts bolt onto the block then i am good to go.
If it just the starer motor bolt thats different ?

p.s. The above comparison is alex van gerbeg's Audi Automatic to manual conversion and he managed to get it to fit.
Thats why i was so afraid.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
ok, one more time. 4cyl engines have a different bolt pattern from the 5cyl. no bolt up together,period. got it. and building a starter is going to do you no good either. sure that other guy can bolt up a 5spd 4cyl to a 4cyl. IT'S THE 5CYL THAT'S DIFFERENT, GET IT STRAIT. i never said it would fit! I said the exact opposite,THAT IT WILL NOT FIT. i've done the research on the conversion before.
and the a6 has what kind of motor again???you never said what kind of motor the a6 had. if it's not a 4cyl then it won't fit. 5,6,8cyl have the same bolt pattern, 4cyl-different. i don't know how many times I have to say this.don't take offense to the loud speaking,i just want everyone to know the 4cyl has a different bolt pattern and doesn't exchange with any,I repeat any, 5cyl,6cyl,or 8 cyl.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but that gearbox is from a 90 20Valve FWD
:(
dont get hot headed guy...please

thats what i was trying to understand.I get where your coming from 200% and more guy.But look at the 6-speedd brand new tarnny in the pic above.The bolt pattern does not look different from the 5 speed in the pic below it.Howveer the bolt pattern between the automatic tranny and the manual tranny look extremely difefrent.
But this is the puzzling part...that same gearbox on the left is in the guys car.So i am trying to understand how and why?

again guy...dont think i dont appreciate the input.I do....this is an exreme help to me.I appreciate it all!
Now i Have to find a solution to fit this gearbox into my car.I do have 2 gearbox.80 2.0E gearbox from england and 6 speed from inline Audi A6 also from england.
what i am woried about is stuffing 6 speed gears into 5 speed box.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
I don't remember exactly what that gearbox came out of (we never had any fwd 20v 90's over here, so it certainly wasn't that). I think it was a 100 or something. I don't remember the details as it was years ago he was posting his findings on the quattro list. Have you emailed him to find out?

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alex is a pretty hard guy to get hold of....its becuz of him i decided to fix up the audi...then i met javads....
and then i found out i wasnt alone in this world of turbocharged 80's
:woowoo:
but it was out of something that had a 5 cylidner...and its in his car now!
well was in his car before it um.... coughcough you know.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Try him either on the audiworld forums, or his business address: [email protected]

I've always been able to reach him w/o too much trouble

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Hence those are pics from his "old 80" ;) before she went up in flames after the last Mt Washington gathering :(

1 - 20 of 54 Posts